Notices

How should I read the Big Book?

Old 10-06-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Read in the back about the spiritual experience. For some it does happen in 5 mins... but, for most it takes years of help and direction of thought and tongue and foot in order to align ourselves enough to have a spiritual awakening.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I recommend that as you read it, you think of all the lives that have been changed by reading those very sentences.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

All these responses are really helpful and I'd love to hear more guidance. Thank you, friends!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by buk1000 View Post
Just start in and set it down when you start to lose interest.

I got a copy and started on page 1. I was expecting to just read a few pages. I couldn't put it down.
Yes. I read it cover to cover in one sitting. It spelled out every thought, action, and experience I had ever had with alcoholism.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Chapter by chapter was my approach, I even posted some comments in the AA forum to gauge other people's thoughts which is an idea, I got loads from it!!
Old 10-07-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I view it as a text book. Some of it is theory and some instructions. As Dee says start on page 1 and keep going. At least for me the BB while extremely useful was not enough to keep me sober. For that I needed meetings, a sponsor, and working the steps
Old 10-07-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
Beccy,

No, no... it doesn't say view anyone with fear and resentment. The complete opposite actually. It's when you're doing your personal inventory, you're supposed to write down individual, cause, and effect. Many times in the effect column you'll note you feel fear and / or resentment towards that person for whatever reason (eg. boss is a jerk, and might fire me).

The book says that person is "spiritually sick" as well, and instead you should look towards them with compassion, sympathy and tolerance. All I meant was reading that type of thing doesn't help me personally, because that's simply the way society here works. It's very communal living, very non-judgemental, everyone views this as OUR community, so it's very seldom people here get looked at with fear / resentment. They just don't do that here -- it's second nature not to for everyone.

That's all I meant.

reading didnt help mefor crap either.
took others explaining then putting it into action for results to happen.
and it wasnt automatic. results didnt happen overnight. that took T.I.M.E.

we are looking at our past resentment and fi ding out what caused them

troy, if ya want to learn exactly what the big book is talking about without misconceptions
go to big book study meetings.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I first read it when someone gave me a copy in detox.

I read all the stories first just looking for something I could identify with it. Then I moved on to the rest of it, and it was with meetings and a sponsor that I could really start understanding and using it to help me.

I still go to weekly Big Book study meetings and pretty much always hear something new and useful to me from my fellow members.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saliena View Post
Read in the back about the spiritual experience. For some it does happen in 5 mins... but, for most it takes years of help and direction of thought and tongue and foot in order to align ourselves enough to have a spiritual awakening.
Will do....Thank you Saliena.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post

Just out of interest - why the reluctance to get a sponsor or go to live meetings?
It's several reasons, one admittedly being anxiety. But more importantly two things: codependency and the type of job I have. I likely need to be in a codependency group as well. And I fear latching on to people in unhealthy ways.....generally caretaking them.

And my job is such that it could be detrimental to go public. Probably not as bad as I think, but possibly. I don't trust that people always keep things anonymous.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Cover to cover..
Old 10-07-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SportsFan15 View Post
It's several reasons, one admittedly being anxiety. But more importantly two things: codependency and the type of job I have. I likely need to be in a codependency group as well. And I fear latching on to people in unhealthy ways.....generally caretaking them.

And my job is such that it could be detrimental to go public. Probably not as bad as I think, but possibly. I don't trust that people always keep things anonymous.
I think one of the good things in AA is that the boundaries have already been drawn very clearly, so all the help that we give and receive is of a pre-agreed nature. I went along to CoDa a few times this year though to find out more about CoDependency. They have borrowed the same meeting and steps format from AA.

I'm a teacher. I've met lots of people in the rooms social workers; lawyers; nurses; surgeons; lecturers; business owners; mothers - all of whom might have the same worry. But ultimately, it's our alcoholic behaviour, not the meeting that keeps us sober, that will lead to our public demise. I do remember feeling the same - scurrying into meetings with that sense of embarrassment. I couldn't understand how the smokers standing around outside couldn't be worried they'd get spotted. But at the end of the day, there's little scandal in someone working on their recovery. (Wish I could say the same about some of my old drunk antics :o ) As far as sharing in the rooms - I don't tend to share anything that could be too damaging to an open forum. My shares tend to be recovery focused. The more personal stuff is just between me and my sponsor - and as she's the only person I've ever, ever told most of that stuff to, then I'd soon know she'd blabbed if any of it got out. But she's been sober and sponsoring for years and years now. She's unshockable and certainly no gossip, and I trust her to keep my secrets much more than I trust my old drunk self not to keep making more of the blasted things. So, I keep going and stay sober, and in the rooms I've learned to trust and be trustworthy- which in itself is a blessing.

Good luck with your personal journey.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I was told to read the big book cover to cover, and start with the stories at the back for identification.

Good luck.

Love in sobriety.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

SportsFan - if you're worried about the anonymity, look for closed meetings, as those are limited to problem drinkers and those with a desire to stop drinking. It's not a guarantee that anonymity won't be broken outside the rooms, but you won't run into lookie-loos, at least.

I've also heard of meetings that aren't listed, for people such as doctors, lawyers, airline pilots, who have to be especially careful that their anonymity isn't broken. You could try your local AA helpline to see if they know of any in the local area, or can put you in touch with someone that can.

I totally get the anxiety thing...going into my very first meeting was one of the scaries things I'd ever done. But I had to face the fear, as my life depended on it. I hope you won't let your fears stop you from saving yours. It's a killer disease.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
I think one of the good things in AA is that the boundaries have already been drawn very clearly, so all the help that we give and receive is of a pre-agreed nature. I went along to CoDa a few times this year though to find out more about CoDependency. They have borrowed the same meeting and steps format from AA.

I'm a teacher. I've met lots of people in the rooms social workers; lawyers; nurses; surgeons; lecturers; business owners; mothers - all of whom might have the same worry. But ultimately, it's our alcoholic behaviour, not the meeting that keeps us sober, that will lead to our public demise. I do remember feeling the same - scurrying into meetings with that sense of embarrassment. I couldn't understand how the smokers standing around outside couldn't be worried they'd get spotted. But at the end of the day, there's little scandal in someone working on their recovery. (Wish I could say the same about some of my old drunk antics :o ) As far as sharing in the rooms - I don't tend to share anything that could be too damaging to an open forum. My shares tend to be recovery focused. The more personal stuff is just between me and my sponsor - and as she's the only person I've ever, ever told most of that stuff to, then I'd soon know she'd blabbed if any of it got out. But she's been sober and sponsoring for years and years now. She's unshockable and certainly no gossip, and I trust her to keep my secrets much more than I trust my old drunk self not to keep making more of the blasted things. So, I keep going and stay sober, and in the rooms I've learned to trust and be trustworthy- which in itself is a blessing.

Good luck with your personal journey.
BeccyBean I love the next to last line about trust and trustworthiness. I definitely need to learn how to trust.....basically for the first time completely. Great points.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleDan View Post

I totally get the anxiety thing...going into my very first meeting was one of the scaries things I'd ever done. But I had to face the fear, as my life depended on it. I hope you won't let your fears stop you from saving yours. It's a killer disease.
Thanks for understanding the anxiety PurpleDan. And yes it is a killer. And I've realized now how true it is that just abstinence isn't enough.