Notices

Question about CoDA

Old 09-05-2004, 11:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Running Blind

Question about CoDA

I've never been to a CoDA meeting but feel it would do a lot of good to start attending. My question is: if you have ever been, how uncomfortable (if it was) was it? Just thinking about going raises a lot of anxiety in me for some reason. It has to do with being new to the group, talking in front of people, etc.. I really would like to go but I'm afraid this anxiety is going to keep me from it. Actually, I really need to go (I do go and see a counselor once a week but would love to learn more). Do they ask you right off the bat to tell everyone about yourself (that one question right there is one of my biggest nightmares)? The questions can go on and on...please tell me about your first meeting experience.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dai, I'm SWC, a Co-Dependent. I tried Al-Anon...wasn't quite for me. Poked around in Nar-Anon, also not quite for me. CoDA is for me. Although I haven't been to a meeting in about 2 months (my life is getting in my way of my recovery), I can say that my meeting experience is how I believe it should be. I only have one meeting in my area to choose from and have been going since April and in a week, I'll start going back. I don't speak unless I want to (except my name at the beginning) and that's probably the case in most meetings, whether it's CoDA, AA, NA. In fact, except for one meeting, I have not said a word, and it didn't have much to do with me or my life at all. I'm not pressured, even when asked to say something a couple of times and I've declined. I have not been asked to speak about myself and my reasons why I'm attending CoDA. I have ALOT on my plate, just not ready to share it in a F2F meeting and that is respected. If you think CoDA is for you, just try a meeting. You'll find alot of others just like you there. Feel free to come visit us on the Nar-Anon boards...I've found most of the Codies there and there is also an online Step Study in progress. Feel free to PM me w/questions. I'm a long way from being a recovered Codie, but still like to help when I can.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Running Blind

Thanks SWC. I'll be stopping by that board shortly.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey DAIBHI5,
Most recovery meetings let you get comfortable and share when you're ready. They might ask if you want to say something, but you can feel free to decline if you aren't comfortable doing that. Please take a look at the Friends and Family board, the Naranon board and the ACOA board. Lots of people here who understand where you're coming from.
Gabe
P.S. LOVE your avatar. I'm a die hard Redskins fan.