Notices

Fear of sleep

Old 10-04-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear of sleep

Has anyone experienced this during sobriety or ever really? I have had an anxiety about going to sleep ever since I can remember. Lately I've been staying up and watching TV on the couch until I just pass out from exhaustion. Seems like being sober has intensified the situation. It's hard to describe but since we are all addicts, the best analogy I can make is its similar to the feeling we all had at the idea of quitting drinking. Not quite as intense, but just a feeling of dred, anxiety, panic. Just curious to hear if anyone else experienced this and what you did to overcome it. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have this feeling a lot.
I just try to calmly lay there and I tell myself it's ok if I don't sleep, I just try to focus on feeling safe and warm, then I daydream about something nice.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've always had anxiety about sleep unless I had a pill or drink.
it's from not feeling fulfilled.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had this ever since I can remember too. Dreadful - literally. It's not generally considered sage advice, but I've found really helps me is listening to youtube docos really quietly with one ear plug/headphone in. It distracts me from the oppressive silence and my overthinking. I also take phenergan sometimes which is non-addictive.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ive been an insomniac for about ten years. My problem tends to be staying asleep once I do doze off. I often wake up in a panic after less than an hour. My mind never sleeps and the racing thoughts seem to continue even though I am physically exhausted and cant keep my eyes open. I used alcohol for years to deal with the insomnia, which nade things worse in the long run. I pretty much stare at the TV all night now. Sleep problems, anxiety are common in early recovery.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had to deal with my fear of missing out on life if I went to bed at 9/10pm, the idea that I'd be missing out on something fun, or simply working all week with nothing else going on, and late at night that's when I could enjoy myself, that was a real thing I needed to overcome.

But the more Sobriety went on, the more relaxed I've got around bedtime, I don't need alcohol to fall asleep, it now comes naturally, and much better, deeper and restful when it does happen!!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

I have a fear of sleep also. Don't know why that is. Sometimes, as I'm dozing off, I'll startle awake and have to comfort myself by getting a snack.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I got the opposite problem it's fear of waking up and being sober lol.!