Notices

Hanging by a Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Rar

Thanks Everyone. Made it through the night and didn't drink. I am still stressing over these wasps. I have an exterminator coming this afternoon. I'll keep you posted. I hope they find the nest.

From Maia: Rar- I had a nest between my paneling and outside wall a few years ago. I had a shop vac filled with them. It was so gross, I found them everywhere.

An exterminator came in and with in 5 minutes new where they were, between my walls and the outside wall. He took a thing and puffed a white powder in my drop ceiling and between the walls. Two shots of it and he was done. I think I paid 35.00. This white powder coats all the bees and kills them. It hits the hive and area around it. Good luck!!

This was very encouraging to me. I hope this is the case with my situation. Thanks so much.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Glad you made it!! Xo
Old 10-05-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Two excellent decisions....not drinking and calling a professional. Well done and I hope your infestation is eradicated as easily as Maia's was.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Glad you made it through Rar. I hate bugs, spider, creepy crawly things so I understand. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
quat

I hate flying insects, can't gauge their intentions!
We had a similar problem about a year ago, big yellow jacket nest in bedroom wall. I thought it was a mouse problem because of the sound I was hearing coming from inside the walls at night.
Exterminator came and 'puffed in some powder' killed them all. Good news is with yellowjackets the nest and dead ones can stay in the wall, no honey/wax so no rot moisture damage to be removed. Hope all turns well.
My manness runs and hides faster than me if a bee gets in the house, you sound more manly than me
Old 10-05-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Rar

It's "wasp O'clock" and they are starting to crawl through the door. I've killed six already. Wish the exterminator would get here. RE: Yellow jackets - I read that a yellow jacket nest can contain up to 40,000 wasps.

@ Dwtbd and Maia: When the exterminator used the powder, did they exit the nest into the house?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
quat

Not in my case, but I was probably lucky because therre was no breach or hole , they were in the wall or behind it, the only place for them to go was in the attic(and I wasnt checkin re: scaredy cat), ask maybe he may tape up the wire outlet passage in the laundry room.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Rar

We can't tell where they are coming in. A neighbor plugged up a hole this morning, but that doesn't look like it's where they're coming in. Right now there are 5 on the kitchen door and one in the stairwell. As long as they stay there, I'm good.

Oh - the exterminator phone person said the exterminator won't leave until the nest is found.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
quat

When we figured out it was yellowjackets , I realized 'where' the highway in the sky was. Just stand outside and watch the eaves you will see them going in and out , theye busy and thee are lots, unfortunatley, and call the number back and say you found it, coz there is one .
Old 10-05-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Rar

We know where they are entering the exterior wall . We can't see where they are coming out of the interior wall into the laundry room.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
quat

The exterminator in my case put his 'bellows' into the exterior hole in our eave where the buggers were getting in. I'd say you found enough for them to come out , I wouldn't be beyond fibbing on the phone to get them there, not sure why they need more than to confirm that they are 'coming' in from a hole , as opposed to an open window or some such. Good Luck
Old 10-05-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gosh, Rar, that's such a difficult situation. I'm glad you're expecting the exterminator to come soon. It must be so unsettling to have those things flying around your house.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry you are having to go through this, it must be really stressful. Hopefully your exterminator will arrive soon and deal with the nest

One tiny bit of consolation rar, I looked on WikiHow which said that for yellowjackets the nest would contain about 2000 ( I don't know how accurate they are)

Good luck
Old 10-05-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Do your best

Best wishes with extermination
Old 10-05-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sounds like nope o'clock to me! Makes my skin crawl just reading it!

I hope y'all get it sorted out and quickly! That sounds like a complete nightmare.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Rar

Update: The bug guy just left. He identified the wasps as yellow jackets and estimated the nest to be approximately 4 feet throughout a section of the wall. He said there were likely thousands of them and left untreated, would get worse. He drilled holes in the wall to spray and apply powder. The bug tech isn't anticipating having to come back, but said he would if we saw any more wasps after 24 hours. Thank you all for your support and sympathy during my ordeal. Oh - the really good news is that I didn't drink! Finishing my 29th day today.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're still sober RAR - hopefully the problem is nearly over

D
Old 10-05-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Update: The bug guy just left. He identified the wasps as yellow jackets and estimated the nest to be approximately 4 feet throughout a section of the wall. He said there were likely thousands of them and left untreated, would get worse. He drilled holes in the wall to spray and apply powder. The bug tech isn't anticipating having to come back, but said he would if we saw any more wasps after 24 hours. Thank you all for your support and sympathy during my ordeal. Oh - the really good news is that I didn't drink! Finishing my 29th day today.
Great news, Rar. Thank goodness it seems to be over. Yellow jackets can be vicious.

Great job staying sober. Onward to 30 days, 300 days, 3,000 days . . .
Old 10-05-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

(((Rar))), I'm so glad to hear you stayed sober and that you called the exterminator! I'll be thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the end if it for you.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
quat

Rar great news all around !!