Notices

Products that contain alcohol

Old 10-04-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Products that contain alcohol

I was cleaning the bathroom today and as I was organizing the closet I realized that there were a few things that have alcohol in them. It never really crossed my mind to abuse them for the alcohol content and didn't in that moment either. They only thing that crossed my mind was "I wonder if that could trigger a relapse?" Anyone have any experiences with mouthwash, cough syrup, or any other household product containing alcohol causing a relapse? I use mouthwash twice a day and it has never triggered even the slightest urge or craving. I haven't been sick since Ive been sober so I can't attest to the cough syrup. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-04-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

I actually drank mouthwash once whilst I was withdrawing, as it was all I could get my hands on! Ugh!

I buy non alcoholic mouthwash for myself now. My family still have the alcohol one right next to it, but it doesn't bother me. No matter how down I feel, im not going to start necking that!

The cough syrup I'd be inclined t avoid as you actually consume it. I also won't eat food cooked in alcohol as, in many cases, some of the ABV still remains in the food.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah this has sparked this huge debate in my head. Im an alcoholic for sure, and because of that fact if I were to relapse I'd be chugging a bottle of real and strong booze from the store, less than a half mile from my house, not cough syrup or mouthwash. But on the other hand why even risk it? I don't gain anything by testing the waters to see if any of it causes an urge to relapse. It hasn't yet but I guess it could in the future. Then again, I don't like obsessing over my past drinking problem. I want to move on and live my life not change or eliminate everything that reminds me of drinking. Honestly, there isn't one thing or person in my life that I couldn't tie to me drinking or have a drunk memory of. I drank everyday for a good decade, even if I sold everything cut ties with everyone I know and moved to the middle of the woods, desert, or north pole I'd still come across stuff that I can associate with drinking and cause urges. Middle of the woods? Mmm campfires and booze, snow and cold? Curling up on the couch and watch movies with booze, hot sun in the desert? Mmm getting drunk at the beach and laying on the sand. Sorry for rambling my mind is spinning not craving or struggling, just grappling with logic I guess. I guess my point is, if there really is a point to this post, that as aN alcoholic and living for 10 years drunk all the time, I can associate anything and everything with booze. So I guess you have to draw the line somewhere to determine what is a genuine risk to relapse, and what's just obsessing and romancing memories of booze.
I'm done blabbing now ... my applogize.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can smell it a mile off it makes me irritable lol!
Old 10-04-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

I haven't even checked my bathroom for alcohol containing products. It didn't even occur to me. I suppose I'm fortunate in that I don't associate those products with my drinking.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can fail a Breathalyzer by using alcohol mouthwash.

I know someone who has to use a Breathalyzer on his vehicle and he failed so the truck wouldn't start. And all he did was brush his teeth.

I remember watching Family Tides years ago. Tom Hanks was the alcoholic uncle in the episode and drank extract for his addiction. I came across how to make your own extract: vanilla, orange, lemon, ect. You use a pint of vodka and x amount of the natural flavors. Amazing how much alcohol is in it.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The only thing I can think I have that contains alcohol is aftershave, but it never crosses my mind!!

We gotta be sensible about things, if there's something that is causing temptation or a craving then it needs addressed, but if not the reality is some things have alcohol in them but chugging a bottle of the stuff isn't our intention.

It's a case by case basis I think!!
Old 10-04-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I don't use alcohol in food, mouthwash if it comes alcohol free I lean towards alcohol free

Some things like Pk just said I understand like deodorants, hospital hand gel if you go hospital is a must on wards so I get that, plus I wear a awesome fragrance that I guess has alcohol in it
Old 10-04-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Herbal tinctures. I learned this the hard way. Now I only take the dry pills that are alcohol free. I used to rely heavily on an echinacea tincture. Had no idea that the way they 'suspended' the freshness of the echinacea was to douse it in alcohol. It tasted awful, and I honestly just thought that it was a massive concentration of the herb tasting terrible. Too bad they can't find another way as the tincture really did help colds! The dry stuff is just me kidding myself that I can actually control my colds!
Old 10-04-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I use an alcohol free mouthwash but its because my dentist told me to, not because of alcoholism, but because the alcohol ones are too harsh on your mouth.
I eat food that contains alcohol, and I haven't had a cold in 3 years so I don't know about the cough syrup yet :-)
Old 10-04-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just out of interest, Can you get drunk with mouthwash? Or is the alcohol low? I avoid anything cooked with alcohol just in case. It never crossed my mind to drink other chemicals containing alcohol.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kevin78 View Post
Just out of interest, Can you get drunk with mouthwash? Or is the alcohol low? I avoid anything cooked with alcohol just in case. It never crossed my mind to drink other chemicals containing alcohol.
I have heard of people in desperation doing it. I would imagine it would make you very very sick.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There is as much alcohol in mouthwash as hard liquor. But the cleaners in it will kill you. A friend of mine died from ingesting it regularly. So yeah, I would avoid it.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've had a relapse due to cough syrup. At other times, I started abusing it....
I've drank mouthwash before. I can't have it in the house now. So I won't buy mouthwash with alcohol or cough syrup either. Sometimes I debate on whether I should have my hand sanitizer, not because I'll consume it, because it smells so much like vodka, and it has definitely sparked cravings/memories for me before.

I'm also using this herbal tincture right now, for passionflower, and I'm pretty sure it's in an alcohol base. So... I'm debating on that one.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It has been brought to my attention that the alcohol content of mouthwash is closer to 25% when HARD LIQUOR is more like 40%.

That means I should have used the term SCHNAPPS, which is closer to the content of mouthwash.

Regardless, this is more than DOUBLE the amount of alcohol in wine.

I apologize for this egregious error, because clearly, schnapps is acceptable to put in your mouth, whereas hard liquor would be problematic.

This is also a great example of why I never come around here anymore.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I used some jack Daniels BBQ sauce the other night with my chicken. I had forgotten it was jack daniels and for the split second it touched my tounge I was reminded of my drinking days. Then I looked at the bottle and realized it was JD sauce. I don't think it has any alcohol in it but it's definitely got the JD flavor to it. I won't be buying that sauce again I could totally imagine someone relapsing because of that stuff. The bottle even resembles the classic JD whiskey bottle - best to just buy a different BBQ sauce
Old 10-07-2015, 11:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was reading about the alcohol in food thing & I think it's something I need to avoid just because of how my mind works-
If a time ever comes when I think I've 'consumed' alcohol, even accidentally, I wouldn't want my mind to think I'm back to square one.

There's a bit of a myth that alcohol in cooking 'all evaporates off' but it doesn't.

I expect this chart has been posted here before but as I'm new I'll post it in case anyone hasn't seen it:

Alcohol Burn Off in Cooking, Alcohol Evaporation In Cooking, Whats Cooking America

Maybe over cautious, but equally if someone had told me they added half a teaspoon of cocaine to a dish I'd probably avoid that too!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
It has been brought to my attention that the alcohol content of mouthwash is closer to 25% when HARD LIQUOR is more like 40%.

That means I should have used the term SCHNAPPS, which is closer to the content of mouthwash.

Regardless, this is more than DOUBLE the amount of alcohol in wine.

I apologize for this egregious error, because clearly, schnapps is acceptable to put in your mouth, whereas hard liquor would be problematic.

This is also a great example of why I never come around here anymore.
LOL I, for one, hope you come back DB

D
Old 10-08-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i drank mouthwash. it got me straight enough to shower and get to work (buying booze on the way, naturally).

thinking about it - i drank a LOT of mouthwash. i won't have it in my house now.

i never, ever want to go back there.