Notices

So far away

Old 10-03-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So far away

Every day I drink, and every day I regret it. I buy enough whiskey to last for a week, and no matter how badly I want to quit, I cannot bring myself to pour the rest of the bottle down that drain. This is a repeated cycle that I have known for the last 17 years.
I quit earlier this year for nearly 6 months. I remember how extremely hard those first few weeks were, and I am so dreading that. Can I even do it again?
I know it gets easier. I've been there too. It just seems so far away.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back well done on 6 months.

Sounds like you want to throw it out and give sober another go. We all want the same thing and hope you throw it out.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Joe

you know what they say - there really is no better day to quit than today - another 17 years of that sounds unbearable.

Early recovery is hard - but it's less hard when you don't do it alone.

Maybe seeing a Dr could help if you're worried about withdrawal?

D
Old 10-03-2015, 11:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was doing the same thing, keeping a week's worth of vodka on hand. I've attempted to quit off an on for about 18 months.Last week was the first time I poured a full bottle of vodka down the kitchen sink. It was encompanied by an "Eff you Smirnoff, you're
Not screwing up my life!"

That was a very empowering experience for me. My feeling is that if you can't pour the stuff out, then you're not serious about quiting and you will fail. You're in the fight for your life, my friend. You can do this. Pour out that poison!
Old 10-04-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you think it's hard to quit now, keep on drinking.
I drank like you. I did it for twenty five years. I was afraid to stop because I knew what lay in wait for me. The withdrawal. The agonizing anxiety, the feelings of impending doom, the shakes, the sweats and the remorse for having gotten myself into this nightmare of a life.

If you continue on your path, and alcoholics are very predictable, you'll reach the point I did where I could neither quit nor keep drinking.
I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just being blunt on purpose.
I know the routine and the merry-go-round of swearing off booze, then going right back to it. I wasn't living any longer, I was existing. Barely.
I remember once hiding in my closet after a particularly bad bender, wracked with fear. The ring of the phone terrifying me.

I needed help to quit. In AA I found people just like me and they were sober. I found them here. It took many fits and starts, but with help I was able to stop drinking.
You can do it, too. You have to want it, and be willing to go to any length to get it.
It's been four years nine months since alcohol crossed my lips for this drunk.

Thank you for your post. It'll help keep me sober today. I wish the same for you. It can be done. I wish you the best.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back Joe!!
Old 10-04-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Some good advice here JZ

You know how hard the first few weeks are but at least you know that you CAN do them

What do you think made you pick up again after 6 months?

I hope you find it in yourself to stop again
Old 10-04-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Joe, I know what you mean. I went on for almost 30 years that way! It was ridiculous what I put myself through, always thinking alcohol was helping me cope. It did nothing but cause anxiety & misery in the end. You don't need it. Please keep posting & reading - you can do it this time.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I started drinking again I broke 20 yrs of sobriety. But as hard as it was to get sober again, I did it and am coming up on six years this winter. If I can do it, so can you!