Notices

Low self esteem and pride make it hard to connect

Old 12-19-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upwardspiral View Post
Thanks for relating. Since I first posted this I can't say much has changed. I'm starting to break the ice with some folks I see at meetings often. I've even hung out with a couple of women from the rooms outside of meetings, but I still feel anxious about being "on". I usually prefer to shoot the **** with the guys, a practice which some AA's seem to view with a rather Victorian stance.

I will keep trying though. I have to remember that I began to regularly isolate myself several years ago, and it may take just as long to reach a healthy balance in my social life.
I do know I can call my sponsor and at least one girl if I really have a problem. That's a lot.
Some of what we are experiencing is probably due to PAWS. If you haven't read any of the PAWS related links I suggest you do.

I believe some of the negative repetitive thoughts about myself were cues my brain used to motivate me to drink. I believe the longer that we are sober the less influence these thoughts will have on our behavior and self image.

Keep on trucking