Notices

Concentration affected by Alcoholism

Old 10-02-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concentration affected by Alcoholism

I'm wondering how attention, concentration, and ability to learn is affected by an actively drinking alcoholic.

Has anyone noticed after being sober for a time that these things improve substantially?

Thanks for any replies!
Old 10-02-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Yes!

And we find we often have abilities we didn't know about previously. My friends have found they are better at certain things today (one is now a painter, another a writer, I have better than ever teaching abilities....another friend is passionate about wood working, another an analytic statistician, etc...)
Old 10-02-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

5000% Yes I kinda pride myself on knowing lots of music I remember my brother being gobsmacked that I couldn't recall names of tracks or albums etc Thankfully all that fogginess lifted
Old 10-02-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The responses from this thread are making me ridiculously happy...
Im a photographer and recently Ive lost my passion for my craft. Im really hoping it comes back since Im sobering up.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hang on!

For me it was always the lexical / verbal abilities that were affected. I had difficulty with reading and some verbal tasks. Lots of senior monents with name recognition, and I would lose focus when reading after only a few paragraphs.

Math / spatial reasoning seemed unaffected.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SevenNuts View Post
I'm wondering how attention, concentration, and ability to learn is affected by an actively drinking alcoholic.

Has anyone noticed after being sober for a time that these things improve substantially?

Thanks for any replies!
In the process of sobering up and getting the cobwebs out, my short term memory actually go noticeably worse. I was dumbfounded because I expected to be razor sharp. It didn't happen that way at first. But over time, things cleared up and the mind returned to "normal" and both long and short term memory returned and has been quite positive. A sharp mind is the ultimate weapon in navigating through life. 2 cents
Old 10-02-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hang on!

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
In the process of sobering up and getting the cobwebs out, my short term memory actually go noticeably worse. I was dumbfounded because I expected to be razor sharp. It didn't happen that way at first. But over time, things cleared up and the mind returned to "normal" and both long and short term memory returned and has been quite positive. A sharp mind is the ultimate weapon in navigating through life. 2 cents
I'll second this. It seems to be a classic symptom of brain fog. Mine was especially bad months 2-3, which was also the period I had bouts of emotional issues as well. They're getting better lately.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kirky View Post
The responses from this thread are making me ridiculously happy...
Im a photographer and recently Ive lost my passion for my craft. Im really hoping it comes back since Im sobering up.
Ditto to what Kirky said this thread is encouraging! !
Old 10-02-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, tis true

And it is scientifically proven using brain scans and other neat stuff.
I also know this because I experienced it. I am 20 months sober.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My ability to concentrate just while reading a book has improved dramatically, as have verbal communication skills. Overall there's a lot more clarity.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SevenNuts View Post

Thanks for any replies!
It depends on how much alcohol you're talking. I stay away from alcohol now and glad for it! But, it used to make me hyper-alert and gave me insomnia.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm thinking that anything that crosses the blood brain barrier can alter thinking, so it stands to reason that if one is sober, they should be thinking clearer and be able to concentrate better.

That said, there are many other things that can cloud thinking such as low thyroid, depression, mental illness, insomnia, and child-birth!

Good luck. Clearer thinking days are ahead of you.!!
Old 10-03-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There is a real side to alcohol and the risk of brain damage over a long period of time!!

The good news is the body is fantastic at repairing itself, but it needs to be given a chance away from alcohol!!
Old 10-03-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adventurer

After 6 months or so my wife would tell me how much better I was but I could tell as well. Mood was more stable, better concentration, memory improved.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

After 148 days everything is better. Physically and mentally.

Alcohol is poisen.