Notices

Loss of Life

Old 10-02-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
Strange to read this. I had a friend who was an alcoholic who also was found in his house, dead, on the floor. I never heard the official cause of death (long story) but one of his nephews told me it had something to do with a brain hemmorage. I wonder...

I really miss that guy.
I had a friend who I went to high school with that had the exact same thing. Even though he was supposedly sober when he died, word is the years of drinking he did finally caught up to him. The damage was done. he was 46.

When I had my accident in May, I was drunk, and while I injured myself pretty badly, and i was alone. I look back and could have accidentally killed myself if I hit my head. Its a harsh reality of the havoc that alcohol wreaks in peoples lives, correct?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I fell this past weekend and smashed my check bone and shoulder. It was a total wake up call for me and as weird as it sounds a blessing. I realized things could have turned out so much worse than the bad bruise I have. Completely done with alcohol, I know the next time (which will not happen) I could be dead!!!
Old 10-02-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am so sad and scared by reading these stories... I know I read this earlier, and was scared enough to continue the day sober....now this evening, I was contemplating drinking again....but reading this again, I'm reminded (again) of why I don't drink (I'm only on day 2). This is scary.
I tried cooking/baking many times while drunk. Once I burned my hand by trying to cook while drunk. I could have burned the house down, or burned myself. That's scary. I've hit my face on the toilet, bleeding all over the pace... wow, I wonder how I told myself I never had a problem? Because I was more a binge drinker, and could go a week or so without drinking so many times...(although it was become more and more often, and many times I couldn't wait more than a day...or even that long).... even if were to rarely drink at all, I know that when I do drink, it always spirals... it's always dangerous. Really, really dangerous.... I'm glad that I'm alive. I want to stay that way.

Oh and I just remembered, I have the tendency to sometimes self harm while drunk. Not so much lately, but, sometimes it does rear it's ugly head again. Like, come on.... that is death waiting to happen.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Layali View Post
I am so sad and scared by reading these stories... I know I read this earlier, and was scared enough to continue the day sober....now this evening, I was contemplating drinking again....but reading this again, I'm reminded (again) of why I don't drink (I'm only on day 2). This is scary.
I tried cooking/baking many times while drunk. Once I burned my hand by trying to cook while drunk. I could have burned the house down, or burned myself. That's scary. I've hit my face on the toilet, bleeding all over the pace... wow, I wonder how I told myself I never had a problem? Because I was more a binge drinker, and could go a week or so without drinking so many times...(although it was become more and more often, and many times I couldn't wait more than a day...or even that long).... even if were to rarely drink at all, I know that when I do drink, it always spirals... it's always dangerous. Really, really dangerous.... I'm glad that I'm alive. I want to stay that way.

Oh and I just remembered, I have the tendency to sometimes self harm while drunk. Not so much lately, but, sometimes it does rear it's ugly head again. Like, come on.... that is death waiting to happen.
Yeah we can really hate on ourselves with abandon during a binge. If I drank everything I had and still couldn't pass out I would sometimes cut, burn or whip myself for relief. Relief?! Isn't it madness, how we can treat ourselves?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I fell myself once, when I was 21 or 22, I was drunk, more than likely on cocaine as well, I fell and slammed the crown of my head into the corner of the windowsill on my porch.

Dizziness and nausea sent me to the ER the next day where I was given x-Rays to determine the extent of the fracture. Thankfully I suffered no damage to my brain or cranial bleeding, just an indent in my skull from the corner and a concussion. I do get headaches though.

I am also lucky I did not die that night.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Layali View Post

I have as well, just be so drunk and overwhelmed with emotion..I have so many scars, discolorations, and small knots on my thighs from beating myself with a hammer in the bathroom in the middle of the night trying to calm myself from whatever hysterics alcohol led me into that night. Alcohol made me emotionally out of control and self harm numbed me on those days...

Alcohol is so fun, right? When all of these memories are shoved back and only the times with friends and going out are remembered...the injuries and disasters and humiliations, broken relationships and fights for no reason...
Old 10-02-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Sometimes I forget that there are other ways to die of alcoholism than just drunk driving and health issues down the line. Thanks for posting; this is terrifying.

I once started trying to cook something while very drunk, and left olive oil to heat on the stove so long that when I eventually reentered the kitchen about two hours later, the pan was just casually full of flames. Just this nice little contained fire burning there inside the skillet. I quickly picked it up, put it in the sink, and ran the water to douse it, but that was probably a stupid reaction. I should not have touched that pan that way, probably. And, if I'd happened to use the other burner, the flames would have caught my dish rag on the wall on fire, which would probably have caught the wall on fire. I'm lucky there were no consequences other than a ruined piece of cookware from that, but there should have been.

Last edited by helpimalive; 10-02-2015 at 11:32 PM. Reason: awkward wording
Old 10-03-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So very sad! I'm 46 and that absolutely could have been me. When I drank I didn't take too many tumbles but of course, the drinking just got worse and worse. Would have been a matter of time.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yeap alcohol is serious business!! . . . very sad, but a great post as a reminder!!