Notices

Hey guys

Old 10-02-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey guys

347 days here guys

More trouble at work, this time I made an error meaning I allowed a staff to work 2 shifts without their training being completed. Apparently there will be an investigation to look at what happened. There are multiple issues at play that affected the decision, maybe in that split second I made an error of judgement, I should of called the office to check but really.......it seems so trivial to launch an investigation into it. There isn't a lot else to say other than I'll remember next time. It's unsurprising you miss the odd thing given the amount of work you are expected to complete.

Thing is I'm just feeling indifferent about it. I don't really know why, it overshadows what has been a good productive week at work really. I'm on a stupid performance management programme now too and have been for 2 months. It's not that I don't care, I just place more importance on the other elements of my life outside of the job.

Do you guys think I'm making sense here? My values to my role with vulnerable adults are strong, there are standards I as a person will always adhere to and I really don't see where they want to go with this one
Old 10-02-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Stewy...

Sounds like where I used to work. Even if you "had" the training but it wasn't updated in the computer and you performed a task, it was the end of the world. It means you didn't check your quals before working on something. And when a group did something without the training completed a BIG investigation ensued. And supervisors, training and the individual worker ALL got in trouble.

Hang in there. Follow procedures and do the right thing. As long as you follow procedures and verification techniques, you can't go wrong. Always check first.

Life outside the job is just as important as the job. But when at the job, be at the job.

And you didn't drink over it.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Stewy,

Not sure if your post is written because it is affecting your Sobriety, but maybe that doesn't matter? It is these often 'life events' that can keep us in turmoil, or self-doubt, or ...

I follow the AA program of recovery and 'Living Life on Life's Terms' and practicing the Daily Steps helps me keep these things in perspective. Did I do something I need to make an amends for? Then I will do it. Is there something I could have done better? And was that because I am not always 'perfect' or was it because I let one (or more) of my character defects be in control? What I like in the program of AA is that we can allow ourselves to be imperfect, and that is OK. If I am letting my character defects wreak havoc in my life, the program has the tools and methods to work with God to become a better me.

And ... if these 'Life Events' keep me caught up in anxiety, or stress, or shame and guilt, or in self-pity, etc ... I will most likely be over-run by my 'automatic default' ... drinking or drugging to mask the overwhelming feelings.

Thanks for the post

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE
Old 10-02-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Stewy I think an investigation is a bit harsh I think your pretty awesome bud
Old 10-02-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Doesn't sound like a big deal. Did they make any errors you'll be accountable for? Either way, you'll get through it. Way to go on very nearly a year sober!
Old 10-02-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know much about current office procedure Stewy but your attitude seems pretty healthy to me

D
Old 10-03-2015, 01:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your input guys and taking the time to read my post about it, as predicted I've woken up this morning with it on my mind which is a drag because it's supposed to be my 2 days away from all the nonsense at work.

I'm going to get up and do a workout, hopefully I'll feel a bit better about everything then
Old 10-03-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There doesn't sound like too much more you can do Stewy, so I'd try and enjoy the weekend man

D
Old 10-03-2015, 01:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Procedure and process, ticking boxes for the sake of ticking boxes, drives me insane most days, if on a computer screen or a spreadsheet a box isn't green or there isn't a tick beside someone's name by a certain time, in a certain way, by a certain date the sky is going to fall down, and then when something goes wrong, there needs to be an informal chat, and an investigation with a person, and their1st line supervisor, and their 2nd, and a report needs written, and the paper work and procedure just goes on and on, I'm with you there Stewy!!

The problem I found after many years is we can't change the system, banging our heads off the wall isn't going to improve things, because the system is the system, designed by someone probably in an office somewhere in a Monday morning meeting over a coffee and a scone without much relevance or understanding to what it's like to be on the front line on the job, when all you see is updated computer screens and spreadsheets 50 miles away from the people who do the actual work, the procedure evolves in that particular way.

For me I needed to accept my place as a cog in the system, I need to fit into the system not the other way round, and to be honest I and many others I work with call it "playing the game", sure we do a great job at what we do, but if a green tick is needed beside a name at a certain date in the month, we make sure it's done 2 weeks prior, it makes for a hassle free work life, we quietly go about ticking all the boxes we need to tick, we stay away from the spotlight shining on us and then we can concentrate on doing what we're actually paid to do, that's how you buy yourself freedom in the world of work these days I find!!

Hang in there Stewy, it can be frustrating!!
Old 10-03-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Stewy! Hopefully it will work out okay without a lot of hassle.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Procedure and process, ticking boxes for the sake of ticking boxes, drives me insane most days, if on a computer screen or a spreadsheet a box isn't green or there isn't a tick beside someone's name by a certain time, in a certain way, by a certain date the sky is going to fall down, and then when something goes wrong, there needs to be an informal chat, and an investigation with a person, and their1st line supervisor, and their 2nd, and a report needs written, and the paper work and procedure just goes on and on, I'm with you there Stewy!! The problem I found after many years is we can't change the system, banging our heads off the wall isn't going to improve things, because the system is the system, designed by someone probably in an office somewhere in a Monday morning meeting over a coffee and a scone without much relevance or understanding to what it's like to be on the front line on the job, when all you see is updated computer screens and spreadsheets 50 miles away from the people who do the actual work, the procedure evolves in that particular way. For me I needed to accept my place as a cog in the system, I need to fit into the system not the other way round, and to be honest I and many others I work with call it "playing the game", sure we do a great job at what we do, but if a green tick is needed beside a name at a certain date in the month, we make sure it's done 2 weeks prior, it makes for a hassle free work life, we quietly go about ticking all the boxes we need to tick, we stay away from the spotlight shining on us and then we can concentrate on doing what we're actually paid to do, that's how you buy yourself freedom in the world of work these days I find!! Hang in there Stewy, it can be frustrating!!
Purple knight you have out it in a way I relate to here, thanks for this, makes me feel like I'm not going mad. I'm still working on the idea that doing something wrong at work is not directly linked to me as a person or that I failed.

There is a lot of scaremongering that goes on at work and it's keeping your head above all of that
Old 10-03-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

O.m.g.
This is the reason I opened my own business, this type of thing used to drive me insane at work.
(((((Hug)))))
They make you feel like you've committed some horrendous crime over nothing.