Notices

Choosing your path...

Old 10-02-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Choosing your path...

I wonder, why we choose to go back to alcohol, after becoming sober.

Is it the thought of the lesser of two evils in someones mind? Living what you know instead of moving forward into the unknown? You find that you're bored and lonely and decide drinking is better? That the thought of "sober" for the rest of your is just too long, so you drink instead?

My life of drinking was miserable and I don't miss a thing. I cannot see the good times anymore. All of those "good times" are looooong gone. And now, even the thoughts of one or two make me cringe. Its almost like I've been programmed to feel sick just thinking about a drink.

If others consider my life without it "boring", I'd rather live the rest of my life "bored" and sober, then drinking on the couch every night, and being scared and lonely everyday. I was alone even when I was with people. When drinking, I was always "in my own head" hating myself 24/7. Whats to miss with that?

I know I've got a long, sober way to go, but my hate for drinking/alcohol gets stronger everyday.

I hate it. Hate what it did to me and hate what it is doing to others.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi.
Most of us have a “built in forgetter” that cuts the memory of the pains we went through with a lot of BS rationalization. I and many need a face to face fellowship to obtain sobriety and recovery. This site is great for a good start and support but many also need the personal contact of others experiencing and understanding each other.

Hopefully if the pain is bad enough we will stop taking ½ measures.

BE WELL
Old 10-02-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think part of it is attitude.

My first and only other quit, I always felt like I was "missing something".
I quit with the full intention to moderate after I got the situation under control...like that ever happens.....

This time, I have decided that I am not missing out on anything after all, and things are so much better without alcohol. I feel blessed to have been able to get off the poison and have absolutely no desire to pour poison down my throat and ruin my life.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Addiction is a real thing, and for me sheer willpower, wishful thinking or hoping things will be different never worked.

Instead we need a plan to deal with the reality, a system of support, a change to our activities, the building of a new lifestyle, all these things I found important in remaining Sober!!

It can be done!!
Old 10-02-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

This is why I say to myself no one else

Alcoholic for life
Old 10-02-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was terrified of change.My drinking life, however bad, was familiar.
I knew the parameters.

I had no idea what sober me or sober life might be like. For the few months sober I kept expecting dreadful things to happen.

Fear is a very powerful force. I needed to face that fear to embrace a new way of living.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi intheend, I don't consider myself to be a macho man or anything, but I took and still take pride in being fearless. I like to tackle challenges head on...and win. Alcohol made me scared of my own shadow, it made me mentally and physically weak. My confidence and self esteem were shattered like glass. I finally realized that I had no life if I was to live it in fear. So I addressed the problem and fixed it. As a man, there is a certain amount of pride in being able to shake hands with someone and look them in the eye with confidence, as opposed to addressing someone with your hands in your pockets and your head down because your confidence as a person has been shredded by alcohol, if that makes any sense. Wishing you the very best.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

I kept drinking every time I quit up until now because I always used to think that being drunk was the best I could do in life. That's why I always went back.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've found that drinking has become exceptionally boring.
I usually drink to ease boredom, but the I realized the drinking was even more boring!
You can't so anything but drink, no hobbies, no going anyway, nothing- just more drinking until you pass out, its lame