Notices

Note to self...

Old 09-30-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Note to self...

Do not have alcohol in the house!

I made it through last weekend just fine (day 9), then I was feeling quite depressed last night. My guard was down. No problem, I thought to myself. I made it through Saturday night. This will be easy.

You can probably guess what happened next.
I don't think it helps that my wife continues to drink, especially during the week when the stress level is high (kids/work, etc.). She doesn't drink a lot, just a few drinks, but hey, the bottle is right there.

How many of you have significant others who continue to drink?
I think I'll just have to have a strict rule of no alcohol in the house, meaning she'll have to stop also.

I don't blame her for last night's misstep, it's all on me. I thought I was strong enough, but that is not the case.

Lesson learned I guess.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Frank,

I am always in favor of no alcohol in the house, but only if both people agree. To be honest, I don't think it's fair to make a strict rule of no alcohol in the house, unless your wife agrees. She does not have a drinking problem. If she doesn't agree with your rule, maybe you could move to a different part of the house when she's drinking.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I got sober with a cabinet full of booze. It can be done.

But if you can enlist the support of your wife and clear the house of alcohol, it would clearly help you.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband drinks occasionally, and we have alcohol in the house, but not my 'drinks of choice'. I hate beer and whisky, and that is all he drinks. I would not be able to control myself if he kept wine or vodka around.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Frank, I agree with the others in that it can be done. My wife still drinks and drinks pretty heavily.

You can do this. You are going to be tempted by all sorts of things in your fight to be sober. You've got to really want this for you, see your tomorrow without alcohol in it and don't drink today. Doesn't matter what life throws at you, don't drink today.

Next time you feel stressed and like you're going to cave, jump on here and give us a shot at helping.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good luck Frank. I hope you can come to an amicable agreement