Notices

Just quit drinking!

Old 09-30-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just quit drinking!

A little shameless bragging here......
I saw a friend that I haven't seen in a while, and her eyes popped out of her head.
She said "What have you been doing??? YOU LOOK GREAT!!!"

And I said " I quit drinking alcohol almost a year ago"

Eyes full of disbelief, she insisted, "You must be doing something else, exercise, diet supplements, WHAT? I CAN'T quit drinking.....
Besides, I don't drink very much." Just then the waitress put down a drink, she sipped and said "you might as well bring another".....Hmmmm.

I did say that I have been doing some yoga and riding my exercise bike a little, getting more exercise in general.

So this morning I find out that she bought a treadmill, exercise bike, and several other pieces of equipment. Must have spent a bundle.

BUT it really is much simpler, JUST QUIT DRINKING!!!
Old 09-30-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree!!! Yesterday I was asked if I was turning 30... I'm 35!!!

Since the beginning, this has been one of the best incentives to keep sobriety up. I noticed changes really quickly after stopping last year.

I guess vanity can be positive...
Old 09-30-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amen, sistah!!!!
Old 09-30-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Drinking ages us very prematurely inside and out. It is just one of the benefits of quitting.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go! Another huge reason to stay sober.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go. Just quitting is free and saves money. Thanks for this.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've had similar comments too, it feels really good to hear them. I attribute it to not only quitting drinking, but also a better diet. When I was drinking I many times skipped meals and just drank instead or would eat bad food late at night to make up for not eating much during the day. Also not being drunk all day kind of forces you to get up and move around a little more too.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Also not being drunk all day kind of forces you to get up and move around a little more too.
Love that statement, Scott! I think this is the whole secret to exercise!!!!
Old 09-30-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

Actually, I have a bit of a different story regarding my physical appearance. Last year when I quit drinking (pre-relapse), I lost about 20 pounds. The weight loss was a combination of quitting drinking and a diagnosis of diabetes a couple of months later. With the diabetes diagnosis, I had/have to follow a low carb diet. I am 5'5" and my weight dropped to 114 lbs. After relapsing and drinking, I gained back 15 of those pounds and folks said I looked wonderful. My face was fuller and I didn't look as drawn. Once again alcohol free, I'm starting to lose weight again and folks are asking me if I feel okay.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rar - How are you feeling on your current diet? I think that's the important part.

Sounds like you have good friends who want to make sure you're healthy and happy but may not be expressing it well.

FWIW - I was overweight & still gained weight when I quit, but it was temporary. Everything came together in time.

& Congrats newpage!!!
Old 09-30-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by SereneEdition View Post
Rar - How are you feeling on your current diet? I think that's the important part.

Sounds like you have good friends who want to make sure you're healthy and happy but may not be expressing it well.

FWIW - I was overweight & still gained weight when I quit, but it was temporary. Everything came together in time.

& Congrats newpage!!!
My friends are my exercise buddies at the gym pool. They do not know about my alcohol problem. They had no idea I re-gained the weight because of an alcohol relapse. Presently, they only see the current weight loss. I guess I feel okay. I don't have a choice with the diet I have to follow. Thanks for asking Serene.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me, it was more than the lack of alcohol- it was the lack of fear. I always had a look of terror on my face (can they smell the alcohol? what did I do last night? what did I say? how will I make it through a work day feeling like garbage?). I think I have rid myself of the "deer caught in the headlights" look and my expression softened.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Rar
You can eat a lot of healthy fats right? Like avocado's, nut butters, coconut butter (crazy good)....loaded with calories but not the bad fats. I eat a low carb diet too but not the kind that sends one into ketosis. That's where the dramatic weight loss comes from. I'm no pro and I know I'm probably saying stuff you already know.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hey Rar
You can eat a lot of healthy fats right? Like avocado's, nut butters, coconut butter (crazy good)....loaded with calories but not the bad fats. I eat a low carb diet too but not the kind that sends one into ketosis. That's where the dramatic weight loss comes from. I'm no pro and I know I'm probably saying stuff you already know.
Yes - I eat unhealthy fats too. I am probably in ketosis a lot of the time. As I said, I eat to my meter and can eat only so may carbs before it goes up. I can eat almost no carbs in the morning, maybe about 10 in the afternoon and probably about 25-35 for dinner. I have a bedtime snack of about 15 carbs, but it should probably be less. I rely on fat and protein for energy. I get my Vitamin C through a vitamin, as fruits are high in sugar. Sometimes I can get away with fruit if I eat fat (like peanut butter) with it.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fantastic Newpage!!
Old 10-01-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats NewPage
Old 10-01-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yankee73 View Post
For me, it was more than the lack of alcohol- it was the lack of fear. I always had a look of terror on my face (can they smell the alcohol? what did I do last night? what did I say? how will I make it through a work day feeling like garbage?). I think I have rid myself of the "deer caught in the headlights" look and my expression softened.
Wow, I had that fear too. And it is so nice to be free of it.
I know EXACTLY what I did last night, and the day before.....all the time actually! Feels great!

I recognize myself in my friend's new gym purchase. I always felt and looked bad when drinking. And always looking for some easy way to "fix" everything. I was a sucker for every supplement or vitamin that promised good health, bought exercise equipment, have every workout DVD published. Most are still in their original wrapper! I had a lot of good intentions.

BUT I refused to believe it was the alcohol.
How simple to just quit drinking....and life gets better.
And when I tell someone that simple truth, they don't comprehend.....they just buy more stuff........
Old 10-01-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober year!