Notices

Class of October 2015

Old 10-01-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hi October

Hi Class October!

I joined the Septemer class because that's when I joined the forum.....after lurking for a very long time.

Just wanted to drop in and say welcome! You guys can all so this!
Old 10-01-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

helpimalive - that's awesome, about the cat collar. Hope your mother appreciates it!!
my October is going well enough so far....but I have leftovers that I haven't poured down the drain yet. I feel like I need to do this asap. Also, have a bit of a headache, which is understandable. And this morning my nose was bleeding copiously, forever (sorry if TMI!!!) so....I'm ok now.

Listening to a spotify Halloween playlist - Rocky Horror is on now! October is so exciting! I already have a lot of what people would call halloween decorations up, all year long. But tomorrow I'm going out to buy the more 'seasonal' halloween decorations lol. I guess those ones are a lot bigger and sometimes gaudier lol. I also will go to Winners for all their high end, marked down Halloween stuff!! I find a lot of beautiful things for my home there, like dishes, towels, all good quality but gothic.... I love it!!! Will treat myself to a delicious starbucks drink while there too.

Oh oh!! And buy some flavoured coffees (and some nice, expensive normal ones). Pumpkin spice, cinnamon apple, all kinds of flavours....eeeehhhh!! I'm excited. Good coffee should be much better than alcohol. Right!?!?!?

Anyway I hope everyone's October is going well so far....
And if it's not going well, I really hope that things start to look up soon.... I'm here for you! We all are.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi layali

Addiction is a lot to deal with but those of us with dual diagnosis it's a double, triple whammy. I have PTSD and gad as well. You mentioned EMDR....have you told your therapist your addiction issues? Not trying to be nosey, but EMDR can really stir stuff up. Do you have a plan with your therapist in how to deal with that? Just be careful. I ended up in the hospital....a couple times. But for sure, alcohol totally fuels complex PTSD....big time. Hang in there
Old 10-01-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I believe I initially started out in the Class of August 2015, but I've not been very successful. I've recently returned to my binge drinking behavior. But I'm not giving up, so I'm now working on day five without booze, and I'd like to join the October 2015 Class.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hi layali

Addiction is a lot to deal with but those of us with dual diagnosis it's a double, triple whammy. I have PTSD and gad as well. You mentioned EMDR....have you told your therapist your addiction issues? Not trying to be nosey, but EMDR can really stir stuff up. Do you have a plan with your therapist in how to deal with that? Just be careful. I ended up in the hospital....a couple times. But for sure, alcohol totally fuels complex PTSD....big time. Hang in there
Hi! My therapist does know about my addiction....we went through a lot of this stuff last year and eventually I quit for 4 months...I had a lot of other groups and a second therapist at that time, too. And was in pre-rehab treatment, all that stuff... she knows I've started to drink a bit again...I guess it's just lately that it started getting even worse.

I'm hoping she has some kind of plan. I'm sure she does. This time around, there is a lot more we are working on... so many new issues that have cone up. After EMDR she offered for me to sit in her office and just cry and/or process things for awhile. She also says I can call or email at any time this week, if stuff comes up.

Yeah, it's tough having so many diagnoses aside from addiction....but even better reason to be sober so I can properly deal with it all, I guess.

How do you deal with PTSD and GAD sober? Are there certain coping methods you use? I was thinking of meditation, reading, netflix, just breathing, going for walks, being in nature, praying....sleeping? Chocolate. xD
Old 10-01-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I just listened to this 20 minute interview with Elizabeth Gilbert, on the perils of ignoring your creative self. I found it very, very helpful!! I agreed with a lot of what she said (all of it, really).

I think we're all intrinsically creative, whether we realise it or not. Our creativity will show up in different ways, depending on who we are and how we're built. But if this pulsing creative energy isn't being given a proper outlet of some sort, then it will still be there....forcing it's way out in different ways.....more destructive ways.

She described this energy like a border collie. You have to feed it, take it for walks, or....you will most likely come home to a chewed up couch!!

Anyway, take a listen if you like (or sorry if I'm not allowed to post links here) I found this very useful. Very helpful and inspiring.

Elizabeth Gilbert on the perils of ignoring your creative self - Home | q | CBC Radio
Old 10-01-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hi layali
The PTSD is absolutely set on fire by the alcohol. If I'm heading into a full attack I contact my dr. It's identifying it before I've lost touch with reality. The GAD I use exercise, tons of hot yoga, mindfulness techniques, deep breathing and body scans (my body knows trouble before my mind gets it). I've joined some groups for meditation and recovery based in eastern philosophies but haven't yet attended. My diet is really important too. Sleep is huge. When I'm not sleeping and having nightmares that's a big warning sign. So it's being really mindful all the time. And no alcohol.....that screws me completely.
So glad you're here!
Old 10-01-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hey everybody. Made it a month then had a little setback. Joining the class this month. No more of this. Like my name says time for change. Not just for a day or week or month. For my lifetime.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timeforchange18 View Post
Hey everybody. Made it a month then had a little setback. Joining the class this month. No more of this. Like my name says time for change. Not just for a day or week or month. For my lifetime.
Good for you! Welcome!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Through Day 1. Alchohol sucks very badly and I hate what is does to my body. My headache is just going away and my stomach is okay (not perfect) and I know I'm going to sleep well tonight since I was up most of the night last night throwing up. I'm a binge style (wine) drinker and I've been on this trend of drinking like this approximately one night a week. It's a merry-go-round I want to get off!

I, too, love the month of October, love Halloween and love the band Metric (saw them live a couple of years ago and they were amazing!) G'night to all - I know it's only 6:52 but I hope to be in bed by 9:00 or 9:30.. zzzzzzzz
Old 10-01-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hi all I'm back after a Hiatus. I joined here January 2010 or so when I went sober the first time after getting in trouble with the law. I was sober 2 years then threw it away on new years 2010. I was sober 2 years and 5 days. Since then I've drank on and off, more on lately than off.

I'm not a 6 am shaking if I don't get some booze drinker, but more of a "I'm going to take 3-4 shots" then waking up with an empty bottle of rum and no pants kind of drinker.

I nearly ruined my like 5 years ago and it took years and thousands of dollars to get past my mistake. I'm realizing I am an alcoholic and I need to stop.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I'm in ... it's nearly 10:15am, 2nd October... 5 pages on this Thread already.

I've just written down my plan for today.

Big weekend coming up. It's a long weekend here with Monday a public holiday. I'm going camping with my wife and friends and the Rugby League Finals are on Sunday. No doubt will end up at a Pub for the Grand Final.

I've done this sort of thing before, when I'm away I find it easier not to drink even though everyone around me is.

I had thought of starting on Tuesday but ... No .... I'm just putting it off so it starts today.

Inspiration is a couple of people I started with in the January class celebrating 9 months sober.

Here's us all ... THE OCTOBER 2015 CLASS

JS
Old 10-01-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hey everyone have a sober evening! You'll feel amazing waking up not hung over and fog free. No regrets for your behavior or anything you might have said you shouldn't of. It's the way I want to feel for the rest of my life. Any bad day sober is 100 times better than one second drinking. That's my rock!
Old 10-01-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome falsepremise, BixBees, londonlucy, juno, lealea, Frank 14 and needtostopthis (and to anyone I may have inadvertently missed)

this is already shaping up to be a great class - there's a lot of recovery wisdom here
Old 10-01-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Excited to see all the new people!!
Just finished one of the most intense work week ever!! I wanted to rationalize a drink, cause I did good work but I'm not going to, just hanging with my family and so grateful to be sober.
Welcome all
Old 10-02-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Day 1 is done! Not a great nights sleep, but I was expecting that. Woke up feeling okay and no feeling of dread and dissapointment, up and in the shower without having to drink gallons of water and wince when my body moves. It is very early days as I have been here many times, but just knowing I had this support to turn to makes me feel so much better. Right the start of day 2. I can do this.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Congrats Londonlucy!

I'm putting day 12 to bed now. Decent day. I'm finally starting to have thoughts of drinking again, which I hadn't had for the first 10 days or so, but I knew this would come once I started to feel like a person a little. The thoughts don't have to mean a damn thing (tho they're still scary). I've played all those "Let's try again" games. Here's hoping I stay done with them.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by helpimalive View Post
Congrats Londonlucy!

I'm putting day 12 to bed now. Decent day. I'm finally starting to have thoughts of drinking again, which I hadn't had for the first 10 days or so, but I knew this would come once I started to feel like a person a little. The thoughts don't have to mean a damn thing (tho they're still scary). I've played all those "Let's try again" games. Here's hoping I stay done with them.
Well done, I can only dream of getting to day 12, you should be very proud. As you say they are only thoughts, I have them nearly every second, was driving this morning and suddenly thought "I havent thought about drinking for about 10 mins", We can do this....
Old 10-02-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Do your best

First sober friday if anyone is looking to chat meet some SR members check out the weekender thread in newcomers

Have a great day or if your struggling just know your not alone

Old 10-02-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Day 3 . Putting it out there. I already feel mentally more like a human being, although my body feels awwwwful.