Notices

Class of October 2015

Old 09-30-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just read that thread Alaskagirl. So glad you didn't! Nice post, thank you.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I just read it too. Amazing writing - and I did love the ending!
it's such a good thing, to play the tape to the end and see how things turn out...
Old 09-30-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm down for giving it yet another go-around. Day (1) starts for me today.

Actually I'm glad this forum started a day early for me. Shooting for day (2) on October 1st, but day (1) is clearly a prerequisite.....not to get ahead of myself.

I have a history on SR and stories to tell. I'm sure we'll be sharing them together soon-enough. So, here I am for "?nth" time trying to get a somewhat reasonable monkey off of my back.

Welcome everyone and thanks for having me.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Originally Posted by Layali View Post
And hello to maximus, key, bodhi, helpimalive (is there something else I should call you?) and anyone I missed... nice to meet you!
Haha, no, call me helpimalive. If it helps make the name less depressing, it's actually a song by the wonderful band Metric, more than it's a literal request for assistance with the fact that I'm animate :p
Old 09-30-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ending of a work day for me so I'll be quiet for a little bit..I'll catch up afterwhile..Welcome everybody! There's a lot of good people here with great advice to share. Go read more threads it will help and it doesn't matter the topic on the forum. You are welcome to post/read in any of the forums on here unless designated by male or female. Take what helps you and leave the rest!
Old 09-30-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome Neverthought! I've been around the SR block a few times myself, great to have you in October!
Old 09-30-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey all, I'm in the September class, but fell off the wagon mid month. I'd like to join up here if you'd have me?

I'm feeling cravings like crazy right now, and I have to get through a tough work meeting soon... NOT going to give in though.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Of course, welcome bac Facingf. Hang in there, you can make it through that craving. Not fun, but so worth it. You will be so glad you did!
Old 09-30-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
Here is the thread that describes my last bender, and the tipping point that drove me back to SR. My apologies, it's a little long. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...nd-bender.html I'm looking forward to getting to know you all! Maybe we can form some long term friendships.
Great job on day 10. And, I read that thread when you posted it. That is a chilling tale. As I read it, I first wanted to drink along with you, then was regretful when you were regretful, and ended up so glad it wasn't current.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well,day one is about in the bag. Yay! So glad to see many new and old people joining October. Hope everyone is doing good. Im making it an early night myself. Sleep will be iffy, but thats ok. It improves with time. Glad to be amongst friends. Will be checking in tomorrow. Good evening all.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Btw, im very glad for SR.
Today, ive keep it with me all day, and its helped me tremendously . Sticking like glue, and thats a good thing!
Old 09-30-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm joining! Repeat offender here as well. I've been drinking since Sunday afternoon, almost nonstop. Needless to say- I feel TERRIBLE.

My sobriety plan is
-posting here every day
-going to aa- at least 3x a week
-moving back home for a little bit so I have more support, normalcy and accountability in my life

I don't just want to do this, I have to do this, or I'm gonna die or end up in jail.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by helpimalive View Post
Haha, no, call me helpimalive. If it helps make the name less depressing, it's actually a song by the wonderful band Metric, more than it's a literal request for assistance with the fact that I'm animate :p
Haha, okay... no problem!!

Also maybe I should try listening to some Metric... I need new music to listen to.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome maximus, key, bodhi, helpimalive layali, alaskagirl, neverthought, Dazee, KeyofC, FacingFuture and ThisIBelieve

No many how many class threads you've seen there's nothing to stop this time being Your Time guys

D
Old 09-30-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm not new Dee! I'm being supportive. I'm in the August class. Should've been July since my quit date is July 20.
72 days, I like to count.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome Neverthought, FacingFuture, and thisibelieve... I think this will be an awesome group.

Okay so I need to brush up on my plan. Add in some more outside contacts and supports, for sure. My first goal is just to have a sober October. Well, actually that seems really ambitious for me. First goal is to not drink today, but my first big goal is to have an sober october. I already drank today. But, tomorrow is october.... need to do it sober....

I might join that writing challenge. Then I have something creative to do every single day.

I just love Halloween. I don't want to ruin it by drinking. And thank goodness for me, it is not an intrinsically "get drunk" holiday. I associate it with all things spooky, all things close to my heart, sacred things, having a feast, turning within, remembering the dead, and....chocolate, ahaha. And hot apple cider and crunchy fall leaves and decorations and wooo!!

So I want to be sober for October. Even though a part of me says "why waste your favourite time of year being in withdrawal and feeling miserable? Umm, well, let's see.... if Halloween is such a sacred time for me, a time for letting go, death, rebirth, etc then why not use this time to prove to the universe that I can live those values!? And what is more scary to me than giving up alcohol??!? See, it's so fitting....

Ok sorry for going on again. I shall set up my journal soon.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

These are great links for devising and implementing recovery plans:

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf
https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...SMA12-4474.pdf

and dealing with cravings

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 09-30-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Layali View Post
Haha, okay... no problem!! Also maybe I should try listening to some Metric... I need new music to listen to.
Give em a try! They good. Like indie rock/pop.

I personally find that listening to new music while sober is great. You get more of it, and then those songs are then forever associated with feeling better, for me.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Oh I LOVE those Halloween emo's!! I can't wait! Other than Christmas, Halloween is my favourite holiday! It's my inner goth wanting to come out and play I think

Anyway, I'm in the September class but just wanted to pop in and say welcome to everyone joining here. I'll be following your stories, not only to support you, but for selfish reasons too, seeing people on day 1 really makes me determined to not ever go back there.... Gosh I think that sounds terrible.

I'm not one to mince my words though, and it's the truth, so I'm not deleting it lol!

Old 09-30-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Today, I had my first few real moments of thinking “I ought to drink” since I quit 11 days ago. I'm mostly sure they arose originally because I had lunch with my father, and he told me that

a) I have to have a plan for the rest of my life to present to him by the first of January if he is going to keep supporting me financially, and

b) he “knows I'm drinking again” and “that's okay, just have a drink with me when we go out, since you're drinking anyway!”

Both these things made me feel scared and icky. The second one, you can see why it made me feel icky. The first one ... I know I'm a grown-ass woman and I should be able to support herself, but it just seems so wildly unrealistic at this point. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Afterward, I felt so anxious and caught and gross that I wanted a drink. Not seriously, and the feeling pass once I opted to be productive to head the feeling off at the pass. But then about an hour ago out of nowhere came the old thought, “I'm fine now, I can have a couple, I've regained control.” I have to assume it was lingering from how anxious lunch with my father made me.

What's scary is how seriously I entertained the thought for a little while before all the reasons it's BS filtered back in. I don't want to go back to having this dang conversation with myself.

I guess this means I have to find a plan for the rest of my life within the next few months. With no idea what I'm good at, no idea what I like, zero job references, no skills, no qualifications, no experience in any field I can go back into again, no expertise, nothing. I'm 27 years old, but I think emotionally/experientially I'm 13, so I'm really, really scared now. I know he's right to do this, and I know I'm my own responsibility and my parents owe me nothing. I'm just scared and anxious, because I can't imagine myself even trying to find a real job, hold it down, and function as an adult. I have so many mental problems even aside from alcoholism, and I have no adult functioning skills. I never developed them.

Anyway, that was my day. Now to watch episodes of the X-Files with my sister as we prepare for the revival episodes next year. (I know, so productive.)

Hope everyone else is having a good day or night.