Notices

Stay sober here!!! Weekender September 25 Part 2

Old 09-30-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

MLD ~

Hey, here's your solution! You're in 'Coon country, right?

Perhaps the best Incident Report I've ever read. Camp Pendleton. Say no more.

- Man Uses Raccoon To Start Interlocked Car -
Old 09-30-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Oh now that's funny, Mesa. But - being "owner" of a device, I cannot for a second believe it's possible. There's A certain pattern you have to blow in, and quite a lot of air is required. So - funny, yes. True, probably not.

One sliver of good news - I had my daughter drive me to the restaurant just to see if the damn thing decided to behave this morning. It did! Drove the car to the service center and there it will sit until tomorrow. I don't trust it one bit.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Happy hump day all!!!

I hope you get your car sorted MLD!! Hopefully, no raccoons will be injured....
Old 09-30-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Brain's tip of the day... Or, how to improvise when you don't check the pantry before you start cooking...

No tomato paste... no small shells or rotini... 8lbs of spaghetti tho

ziti to the rescue (last 2 cups)... cooked ziti about half way, drained and rinse, put back on stove and ladle the more viscous juice from the sauce into the pot and finish cooking ziti stirring constantly until 'juice' is gone.

sauce no longer 'watery', ziti finished with extra flavor!

Just as trees are 90% air (golfer reference), tomatoes are 90% water...

note to self: stock up on dried pasta product, my yearly supply has dwindled to NADA.

Now that kitchen is cleaned, lunch/dinner is prepared, time to put the apron away and put on my man shoes, sun is peeking through, 800 square feet of wet tarp to stow...
Old 09-30-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
...holds the key

It's jupiters!! Hi sister!

Oh Marty! What a headache! Hope it gets sorted out quickly. Technology ugh!!

Every time I read this thread my stomach starts growling.

I'm ready for a nap! Note to self: don't watch Bastard the Executioner before bedtime. Pretty gory stuff.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welp... working from home now. I did not know we were to get such a rain storm. Windows open at home. Left early. Bone dry so thats good. But nice to know the universe is keeping in true form for me today.

Next up?

Probable power outage. Yeah... I think that sounds reasonable for me today. Lets see!
Old 09-30-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

tarps rolled up and in garage - finishing lunch before I get 'busy'

MLD, a suggestion... get yourself a can of that compressed 'air' product used for cleaning electronics/keyboards and such.
Every once in a while give you machine a good shot of this stuff to re-zero it. Or next time it gives a false positive.
Or better yet, get a helium balloon and stick over the entrance and let suck on that for a while.

I claim no responsibility for devices damaged in this way. But my guess it should work.
Any thoughts on this Mesa Man?
Old 09-30-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Weasel, if you have a power outage, I'd say just crawl into bed.

Marty, I'm glad your car started but I don't blame you for not trusting it. Best to have it checked now.

I have a taste for pasta now.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

They specifically say not to ever use compressed air on it. Propellants in that stuff - no good. People inhale that stuff to get high. I really have no idea why it did that last night and seemed fine today. But the new unit arrives tomorrow so all will be well. I'm stocked up on essentials and I can work from home, so no big deal. I have gone without being able to drive for long stretches this year, due to the aforementioned naughtiness. Doesn't really bother me. In a pinch, everything in my town is walk- or bike-able.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

LBrain ~

Sounds as if MLD's Interlock reset itself, so I'd personally skip the blast of Compressed Air, etc.. My hunch is that it's got some FancyAzz IC-based Sensor, like the Oxygen Depletion Sensor on my 'Little Buddy' Propane Heater that detects low Room Oxygen. Clearly, this Interlock Sensor can take the physical jarring, but I wouldn't want to blast it. Meanwhile, integral IC Memory would likely note such an attempt.

Case Study: we got screwed on Da Wife's iPhone. She left it in her cold Passat Trunk; then took it into the warm Classroom after hours. She always had to be concerned about Phone theft. Well, when her Phone subsequently crapped the Bed, the Verizon Pros promptly looked at this minute red & white Patch under the Phone Battery. It had changed color, indicating exposure to Humidity. As though she'd dropped it in the Toilet. She hadn't. Warm Classroom Humidity condensed out on the cold Phone Interior.

In any case, Phone replacement was non-Warranty. I had to use an Upgrade Credit on our Tablet to get her a new iPhone at less-than-astronomical List Price.

My Engineering Hunch: The Vehicle Interlock Designers have thought of our devious ways to defeat/override the Interlocks. Save, perhaps, having Raccoon breath forced into them.-) So, I'm guessing there's Electronic and/or Mechanical Indicators of attempts to use Compressed Air forced into them, etc.. One calibration technique would be to have a Hammered Pal blow into the suspect Interlock, eh? See what it reads...

I dunno, but this redacted Report on the 'Wild Kingdom' Interlock Imbroglio looks fer real to me... Gee, a Drunk Sailor. Who woulda thunk, eh?

- Raccoon Breath Interlock Report -
Old 09-30-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Nearly home time for me. Have been doing boring paperwork for most of the afternoon. I also have a hankering for some pasta of an eve. I might text Mrs B now and see what we come up with....
Old 09-30-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope the sort it out quickly MLD

Geek Boy 2 those semi-conductor based units are not very accurate and degrade rather quickly - they should be sevice every 30 days ideally. Also, despite what manufacturers and retailers may say things like Altitude and certain foods DO have an imput on the reating. Police Departments have to use infrared spectroscopy devices as they are more accurate and less susceptible to manipulation. Some of those myths are probably myths but smartstartcalifornia sounds like the either make, retail or install so they may not be impartial

I'm always suspicious of quick fix ideas but maybe they have a place
Old 09-30-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Mrs B reports that she is already on the case regarding dinner, so it may not be pasta. I might discuss LBrain's creation in the hope of getting pasta tomorrow night. I will do it in a real subtle manner.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I suppose with driverless cars it won't matter.
No need for assistance of raccoons
Old 09-30-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening everyone
Old 09-30-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Afternoon all, just finishing lunch and getting ready for afternoon meetings. MLD, how much longer for the interlock? Sounds like a pain but better than not driving at all.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

SmartStart is a manufacturer. I have a different brand. Mine is Intoxalock. And yes, Sao, the units have to be swapped out every 60 days. The units go back for some sort of servicing before they can be sent back out to another user. At the same time, the data from the unit is downloaded and sent to the appropriate authority. My concern now is that they will think I actually blew those levels. I don't know what would happen because I'm on absolute sobriety. That's why I got on the phone right away to have the manufacturer add notes to my file. At this point I'm hoping like hell they actually find some sort of fault in the device to explain the elevated readings. This all sucks so much. A constant reminder, though, of why I can't ever drink again.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Bernie - until May 2017.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Great couple of insightful Posts, Sao...

One reason I looked up that Cal Site was due to a lil bit of disbelief on the Accuracy vs. Performance at a given Price Point of these Sensors. Not to mention MLD's Real World experience. What I would 'expect', actually: imperfect performance. All the Caveats of Sensor performance - like potential 'noise' from Breath Mints - tell me the full Story.

Further, I would guess that Interlock Manufacturers are burying some of the Performance 'Artifacts' that MLD experienced. That's how the World actually works, according to me.-) This is why a new Interlock Unit, and Towing Reimbursement [if any], are happening so willingly, and quickly.

My hunch is that you'll make out just fine, MLD. For one, the Vehicle never moved. Also, those increasing, false BACs are a Red Flag to impartial Observers. Too great a BAC increase. Too little elapsed time.

Given the long time it takes for Alcohol to metabolize out, I suppose one could successfully start the Vehicle early the next morning. I dunno, take some Phone Video of you doing the test, and the Vehicle starting. Along with a close up of the BAC Readout, if there is one. This all would not be possible ~6 hours later in the morning were you actually testing at the elevated, false levels indicated the night prior.

Had to...

- 'Rocky Raccoon' ~ Music Video ~ The Beatles -
Old 09-30-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good thinking MesaMan,

filming the thing sounds like a good idea

I suppose you could also buy home breathalyser and blow into that + film it - not sure how much they cost

May 2017 Ugh sorry it's so long MLD

I'm curious as to what you did have for dinner now Behan