Notices

A Strange Thing

Old 09-28-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Strange Thing

So I've been having some problems with insomnia. Every other day it seems i don't sleep, i then trudge thru the following day feeling very crappy and by the next night, I'm so tired, i manage to get some sleep.

Now that i think of it tho, i don't think I've been getting anywhere near enough rest.

Last night was a bad night, laid awake most the night, had to work and usually i feel better as the day goes on. Not today. I started feeling really weird. My shoulder, neck, jaws and even my teeth felt weird. Light headed and almost twitchy. It's hard to explain.

We have a blood pressure machine at home so i checked it. 145/101! I about crapped! I usually run like 120/70. I drank a red Bull hours before this happened but i can't imagine that doing this. I have blood pressure medication that i take to prevent migraines, so i took one of those and it came down but i still feel weird.

Do you think not sleeping can do this? I know that the stress I've been under for the past 2 months can't be good.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yesterday was pretty weird for me as well.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Red Bull is some nasty stuff. Don't drink it, especially in the evening.

I've been taking melatonin. Doesn't keep me asleep as long as I'd like (usually wears off around 430-500AM) but it puts me out within an hour and I sleep pretty soundly for most of the night. Maybe try that?
Old 09-29-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey,

I dunno what caused it, but those energy drink really aren't fit for human consumption.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, but get to a doctor
Old 09-29-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really don't know Peanut - I think if you're concerned then yeah, seeing a Dr is best

D
Old 09-29-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me, any kind of caffeine, energy drink has always affected me greatly....even when drinking. But now sober, I'm much more sensitive. I stay away from anything like that after 12N, no matter how tired I am now in the afternoon. If I have even one cup of coffee later in the day, it keeps me up very late and when I do finally fall asleep, it's not a good sleep. A Red Bull would be a disaster for my sleep if I drank one in the late afternoon or evening.

Maybe try staying away from that and it will help? Sorry about your sleeping issues....
Old 09-29-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Peanut. I, too, suffer from insomnia. I agree with the others in that Red Bull is not something you should be drinking. Likely your blood pressure was a result of a combination of the Red Bull, your anxiety over your weird feeling and lack of sleep. Stress does weird things to our blood pressure. My last blood pressure was 117/68. I went to the dentist for a cleaning and when they took my blood pressure, it was 145/75. (I hate dental cleanings). Do you exercise, Peanut? That will go a long way toward alleviating stress. I have learned to never have caffeine after 10:00 a.m.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All good advice, thank you.
I drank the Red Bull early but still shouldn't have had it at all. I won't be doing that again .... ever!
The last time my bp was that high was when i signed divorce papers. I was admitted to a hospital.
I'm feeling ok today and I'll be monitoring it thru the day.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drink Red Bulls. On days that I do, I feel crappy but somewhat awake. On days that I dont I feel pretty good, and not much difference in the more awake department.

That being said, I have cut down significantly on my Red Bull intake. I was at two a day sometimes, now I have only a few a week, and I am trying to quit them for good. I am trying to quit all caffeine for good. Caffeine is NOT good for your blood pressure among other things. Probably a good idea to steer clear of them for a little while. I love the taste tho, but I have been trying to get by drinking seltzer and lime/lemon.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been an insomniac for...my whole life...I remember laying in bed at night as a small child watching the moon cross my window on up into my teenage years just laying in bed watching the clock - I think it may be one of the things that led into the heavy drinking. Unfortunately, no alcohol, no sleep...again (I remember at some point last year sending my boyfriend an angry text at 3 AM that said something to the effect of "oh yeah! This was why I drank so much!!")

There's plenty of OTC things, diphenhydramine, melatonin, valerian root, chamomile teas...all kinds of stuff - but I wouldn't use without asking a doctor JIC of interactions and so forth. Also...yes, ask because of that blood pressure also - I wish I could advise what is the root but I'm not doc so I don't even want to speculate.

Also, red bull doesn't give me wings, it does however make me feel like I'm shaking on the inside
Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you are feeling more in-tune today Peanut. Hope your BP readings are down today! If you continue to get elevated readings, probably good idea just to check in with your doctor.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to say I had to drink to pass out so I would get some sleep. I went to the doctor & have an Rx for ambien. I take about 5 mg per night & if I want to take ambien, I don't drink. I am not going all Whitney Houston on the world & combining meds and drinking. Its kind of my fail safe to NOT drink.

I tried melatonin, it doesn't work. I have some adrenal problems, high BP bc of drinking. If a traditional doctor isn't for you, try to find a homeopathic one.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

See a Dr peanut