Notices

i want a drink so badly.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i want a drink so badly.

i was sober last wednesday and thursday, drank on friday and was sober last night (saturday). i planned to be sober tonight also but i had a major falling out with my brother tonight and im feeling like crap (because he made me feel that way, i have done nothing wrong). i am trying my absolute best here and i really dont want to drink but i am feeling that familiar wrenching at my heart (dont know whether its stress, emotional pain etc but i usually think its the alcoholic wanting the beer and tugging away at my heart until it gets it).
i dont know what to do. i know, for a fact, if i decide not to drink, i will end up drinking at 1am anyway. but i dont want to give in.
but its so hard. and i have a terrible toothache and i only got 4 hours sleep last night and last week i barely slept due to illness. (not excuses, just trying to make you understand how weak i am right now.)
what should i do? am i a total failure if i drink tonight and not tomorrow etc?
Old 09-27-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

would like to add that this is an immense feeling/craving. i am almost tearing my skin off trying to ignore it. please someone help!
Old 09-27-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

why is this thread saying 2pm? is it cause its an american site or something? its 11pm where i am in england, which is why i said i would be drinking by 1am-in 2 hours.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi stephmadam, please don't drink. It will do nothing good for you, and make you feel worse tomorrow. Taking advice from what others have given me, can you go for a walk to clear your mind, or eat something indulgent? I sometimes drink a large glass of ice water or something non-alcoholic and it seems to help. I am sorry I don't have a lot of great advice but I know how difficult this is. You are in my thoughts.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking won't do you any good and you know that. Please don't drink.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Someone posted this link a while back, maybe something here might help:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 09-27-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the posting side of SR, stephmadam.

As others have said, drinking will solve nothing and will most likely make you feel worse about the situation with your brother - not to mention the hangover and anxiety you will likely experience/suffer through tomorrow.

Hang tough and stick with us; we are here for you.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

So I'm sure someone wiser than me will be along soon to post this, but in the mean time since I'm reading this thread I'll post it too--have you tried urge surfing? I'm only 8 days sober and it's already saved me a couple times.

http://www.mindfulness.org.au/urge-s...se-prevention/
Old 09-27-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing now stephmadam?

If it's really bugging you - directions to change your timezone here:

If you need to, you can set your own timezone in 'User CP' (top left hand corner of the big toolbar that runs across the top of every page)

click User CP...go into 'Edit Options' and scroll down to the Time and Date section

D
Old 09-27-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For us drinkers, drinking is our "go to" move for every situation. But we all know its a dead end street. Alcohol is the worst problem solver there is. It provides a brief respite followed by hours if not days of bad feelings both mentally and physically. You asked: What should I do?

Listen to the old timers here who have tons of knowledge about this disease, they will guide you. Post as often as necessary. This is an opportunity for you to develop technique of your choosing to help you get through this. I'll leave you with a positive: Congratulations on posting BEFORE you have actually started to drink.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The craving to drink in early sobriety is strong. It is now that you need to stay very strong...do whatever it is that you need to do in order NOT to drink. Call someone to be with you....stay here on SR.....call someone on the phone...do whatever. For me, it was staying home safe with no alcohol around. I cried a lot. I paced a lot. I slept, ate, read, cleaned everything in site, started new projects, reorganized drawers, folded clothes, did puzzles....the goal is to keep your mind busy. This will get easier. You have to teach your brain and your heart to get through these tough times. There is no way around it. You have to go through it. It is possible and it does get better.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Stephmadam!!