Notices

Day 8 - now what?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 - now what?

Amazing. I survived hell week. I'm so happy and excited I can't stand it. But as the day wears on, that's becoming a problem. I thought making it this far it would become a little easier, being such a huge milestone. But it almost seems harder. My physical withdrawals are mostly gone or are very brief now. The mental part is insane.

In the beginning I was always a happy drinker, I'd drink to celebrate. Something excited me, I'd crack a beer to go along with it. Obviously like everyone it became nothing of the sort. I'd crack a beer because my liver told me it's noon again, time to medicate.

Anyway enough with that, so here I am on day 8, excited. I want so bad to "party". Drink all afternoon and quit again til next Friday. I know this is wrong. I know it will reset the clock for another awful week of withdrawals and mood swings and all that awfulness. But all of that is so hard to remember now that it's over (and was only days ago!). Crazy!

How do I reverse engineer my mind if every day moving forward I'm going to be even more excited than the day before about how good I'm doing? Seems like I'm beginning a phase 2 where I want a beer MORE AND MORE every day, not less and less.

I'm beginning to see just how hard this is for everyone, and how easy it is to fall off the bus in 6 days, 6 months, 6 years and start all over. I need some help getting back in focus before I make a huge mistake today.

Hanging in there. Maybe I'll jump on the treadmill and sweat it out, reset myself for the moment. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've had that problem. One way I deal with it is to go regularly to a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous at 6pm on Friday evening. This makes me think very hard about the consequences of drinking again during the weekend and it provides me with the support of people who understand my situation.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exercise is great for that. I'd say it's not the liver who wants alcohol, it's the central nervous system/brain.

Without the depressant, everything is jumpy/speedy/fast. I learned to slow that down with the depressant of alcohol. It took me many months until my brain slowed down enough to not be spinny.

The thoughts of drinking are just thoughts. Don't pick up the first drink, and it will quiet down in time. As a problems drinker/alcoholic I drank for everything, I had to retrain my thoughts. Just because I have one part of me that wants a drink, doesn't mean I listen to that. Any habit takes time to break, and the hardest time is the first few weeks. It gets easier.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congrats on 8 days!

The most difficult thing I have had to come to grips with is that part of my brain is lying to me. It is addicted to alcohol and it lies to me to get me to give it some.

It paints pretty pictures about relaxing, enjoying just a couple, being in control, etc. None of that matches the reality I experience when I drink, but part of my brain is actively working to convince me that next time will be different.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 9, 10 ,11...
Old 09-25-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic job on 8 days Picturebigger. It is one thing to get sober and a whole other dimension to stay sober.

The longer you go, the easier it will be to stay sober. You have to re-train your brain so that being sober is the norm and comfortable to you. As alcoholics, I am not sure if we will ever loose the feelings of wanting a drink. But I know this, when they get bad, I play it forward in my mind. I have to force myself to remember what it will be like tomorrow if I drink today. I never want to go back to that place... not having any control over my life, being a servant to alcohol. You know the drill.

Great job on 8 days, keep going I promise it gets better.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't quit now. You have to keep moving forward. I'm at day 3 and working hard to get to day 8.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You will enjoy life so much without putting alcohol in your system. You will be so much more HEALTHY, and when you are in better health you will feel better all around.

Working out is an awesome way to go.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi PB, I think what you describe is very common. Once you feel good, you think you can dip your toe into the pool once again. Its a lie. Its poison, its acid. Fight the urge with all you have. Wish you the best.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Picturebigger!! Day 8 is fantastic!!
Old 09-25-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Amazing. I survived hell week. I'm so happy and excited I can't stand it. But as the day wears on, that's becoming a problem. I thought making it this far it would become a little easier, being such a huge milestone. But it almost seems harder. My physical withdrawals are mostly gone or are very brief now. The mental part is insane.

Great job surviving 'hell week' Picture. Now on to 'heck week'. You can do it. 8 Days is fantastic. Stay close to SR. Read and post often. It will help!
Old 09-25-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thank you all VERY VERY much. exactly what i needed to hear. disaster averted! whew that was close

might i also strongly recommend the exercise alternative. i never exercised. doctor made me start that too along with quitting drinking. i had to. after i posted this thread i just went and sweat it out on a treadmill and punished myself with a few pushups. worked great. nobody drinks beer on a treadmill (lol would be funny to watch!) so my brain had nothing to associate with. beer was the last thing on my mind. so from now on any time i think of alcohol, i'll go punish my brain with more exercise just like it used to enjoy punishing me with more alcohol. even if only for a few minutes til the urge passes. woohoo, finally a tool in the toolbox.

good luck ast1... 3 days 8 days, we're in the same boat. i have little advice except hang in there. it sucked all the way around and i found little escape. i just rested a lot, chose to be totally lazy and not worry about a thing except tomorrow coming as soon as possible. sleep made it go by faster. day 6 the physical finally eased up. day 7 the mental filled the void. adjusting as i go.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exercise has helped me mentally heaps in the last month I've lost weight added muscle & it really lifts my mood plus my dog gets a massive walk almost everyday

I done 5 miles today & I feel amazing I've been at it roughly a month and I'm amazed

Congrats on day 8
Old 09-25-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

picturebigger I'm late in replies , but just wanted to say I'm Happy you made it through Nice work !!
We need all the extra tools , never know what the next AV has up it's nasty sleeve ! My favorite is to picture a Huge X on every alcoholic beverage " Poison " If I drink it I will surly feel like dying or I will die -neither sound good to me ....
Old 09-25-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 8 - now what?

You grit your teeth, and get through the day. And when you wake up tomorrow, you do it again. And you will find, in the coming weeks and months, that you will grit your teeth less and less, and you will begin living the life that you have always wanted to live.

That's what.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah, I sailed through the first week on a fluffy pink cloud. Not I'm restless and feel like I'm waiting for something to happen. I feel a sense of pressure building inside me. Everyone tells me that it gets gradually better and I have to believe that.

Drinking filled a gap for me and I need something to replace it with.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Strange in a great way, it's day 10 now, a measly 2 days after my initial panic post, and I just have to share the complete 180 degree opposite I'm feeling right now.

Today I'm actually feeling really, really good. Lots of energy, interest, eagerness, comfort. Hardly any thoughts of alcohol while I stay busy. A few flashes here and there but they vanish immediately. They're more like memories of old habits (triggers) than actual cravings.

Starting to feel like I have a little control back. All the temptations I've gone through in the last 10 days, I fought through 100% of them. It's becoming a "too much to lose" trend. Suddenly it's slightly feeling like I'm gaining an "upper hand". I use that term loosely, definitely not getting cocky or ahead of myself, but at least at this moment I sorta struggle to imagine how I could possibly cave in now. I'd absolutely hate myself. Maybe something extremely traumatic like my wife cheating on me or something. But thankfully none of that level of extreme exists in my life. Things are cool and comfy in my surroundings. I am becoming more confident in my ability to tackle this, more interested in tackling it. As delicious as an ice cold beer would be right now, I couldn't imagine ignoring all my instincts telling me don't do it as I crack it open, put it to my lips, and take a swig. It would be like suicide in slow motion.

Long way to go, I know, but today has been noticeably easier and significantly better. Tomorrow could be completely different. Who knows. And who cares. Now is now. And it's a great now.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Congrats on ten days, and on feeling good about it

I'm on day 8 myself now, and it feels pretty decent so far. We'll see. Hopefully by day 10 I still feel that way.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by helpimalive View Post
Congrats on ten days, and on feeling good about it

I'm on day 8 myself now, and it feels pretty decent so far. We'll see. Hopefully by day 10 I still feel that way.
Thanks. Congrats to you as well!
Old 09-27-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is my problem too, the first week is 'easy' -its maintaining that kills me.
But I can't keep living the way I am, and I really want to be sober, it helps me to remember all the reasons I wanted and needed to stop.
Nothing will change; I was also doing the once a week drinking thing, but within a few weeks it was every second day again. It always goes back to where it started.
Best wishes and stay strong!