Notices

Withdrawal

Old 09-24-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal

After heavy drinking, relapsing, and back and forth. I'm sick of drinking and being drunk every night and still feeling drunk all day after the night before. I'm sick of feeling exhausted and not being able to think clearly. I'm so tired of hurting myself and my spouse from it. I tapered off yesterday with two large cans of beer since I was having extreme anxiety and shaking. I haven't had any alcohol today but I'm feeling the withdrawal with panic attacks, and racing thoughts and earlier was sweating a lot. I took a Benadryl to calm me down. Now that I'm starting to think clearer, all of my life problems have surfaced in my mind. And I fully realize they won't go away if I go get alcohol. I just needed to vent. I don't know what I need to do.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't drink. Have you considered getting to a recovery group?

Is there a way you can get access to a therapist?

A doctor, if withdrawals are physically challenging?

Welcome
Old 09-24-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As above.

It sounds like maybe you do know what you need to do and it is sitting pretty heavily on your heart and your conscience. Take that first step. Well, you have already taken a bit of a first step by getting on here and asking for help. I wish you luck.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do consider seeing a Dr if you're doing it rough jmb.

Do you have any kind of recovery plan - it might be worth your while to think about that - you can definitely make sure you never feel like this again

great info on recovery groups, cravings, and making recovery plans here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 09-24-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As others have said, I highly recommend you see a doctor. Mine helped me greatly and I'm so glad I went to him and explained my situation. The withdrawals can be rough and a doctor can help you get through it safely and more comfortably.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

jmbrandon how are you doing?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi.
When I first got sober I was told by old timers I had only ONE PROBLEM, the rest are situations. I hated that, if they were in my shoes they would……………. Hay, they were correct because I was headed for a place that when looking up there are grass roots, that’s a problem!

For an alcoholic I’ve never seen life get better by drinking alcohol, mostly more jackpots.
It’s an individual choice, freedom and comfort or a miserable life.

BE WELL
Old 09-25-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I never wanted to go to the Dr. I always made excuses, I will do it later or its too expensive. . I don't have time. Really I just wanted to keep drinking and that would interfere, I was also scared of detoxing. Well I wound up inevitably in the ER, looking back now of course I should have not been so stupid and just gone to the Dr. It will catch up with you sooner or later.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi jmbrandon, First things first, get sober and get through the withdrawal process. If that requires medical professionals, so be it. Once you've gotten through that phase you can approach the next phase with a clear head and no panic, racing thoughts, physical ailments etc....Most of us have been where you are. Hang in there. Drinking will do nothing but prolong the inevitable. I wish you the best.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, I echo everyone's thoughts on seeing a Dr before trying to detox on your own. Depending on how long and how heavy, your symptoms could get worse before they get better and a Dr could potentially prescribe something to minimize them. Once you've got 5 days or so under your belt, you can start concentrating on your lifelong sobriety, dealing with the problems that are surfacing, and improving your life. Just hang in there, and it gets better, I promise.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can do this Jmbrandon!!

For me though I needed to change things up when my original plan didn't seem to be working, nothing changes if nothing changes was my experience!!
Old 09-25-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

how it going jmbrandon?

D