Notices

in their words.... the victims' voices...

Old 09-24-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

in their words.... the victims' voices...

When I got my first DUI..... a part of the consequence was to attend a victims' impact panel. It was a couple hours worth of very emotional, powerful speaking from victims of drunk drivers.

Unfortunately, it wasn't powerful enough... because I later got a second DUI....

Turns out, that's because I wasn't 'just' a drinker-driver.... I was an alcoholic. I was an addict. I would never intentionally drink and drive.... I would never hold the intention to harm anyone.... and yet I DID drink and drive. I DID endanger others and myself. Thank God I never actually harmed anyone....

But I got another DUI and I continued to drink and drive. A LOT more times than the two I was caught for. And my personal belief is that most people who get a DUI have been drunk behind the wheel before. And many who get a DUI will be again....

So the victims' voice - did it stop me drinking and driving? It, I'm disappointed to say, did not. However, it was still an important piece along the way... that experience became one part of the pile of things that finally led me to acceptance that I was an alcoholic. That I NEEDED to embrace sobriety.

So while the victims' voice may not be the thing that changes anyone's addiction.... it is an important voice to echo to those of us who still struggle with addiction. I think this argument is about more than just "don't drink and drive". I think that most of these stories, these tragedies, these horrific tales of loss - are wake-up call stories of addiction. I believe that it is very rare that someone is behind the wheel drunk, but doesn't have a drinking problem. My personal belief is that those who find themselves drunk driving are already on the path to alcoholism... if not already there.

Anyway... these are the thoughts that this story evoked for me.

Mom Writes Heartbreaking Post One Year After Drunk Driver Killed Her Baby And Husband
Old 09-24-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Turns out, that's because I wasn't 'just' a drinker-driver.... I was an alcoholic. I was an addict.
That statement is the key for me. Consequences, even severe ones, are not really even relevant to an active alcoholic or addict. When in the throes of our active addiction, we will lie, steal, hide, and generally neglect anything around us for the sole purpose of satisfying our need to get drunk/high. It's a horrendously selfish thing, but it happens every single day.

Realizing that and accepting it is the key, and only the addict can make the choice to do so.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That statement is the key for me. Consequences, even severe ones, are not really even relevant to an active alcoholic or addict. When in the throes of our active addiction, we will lie, steal, hide, and generally neglect anything around us for the sole purpose of satisfying our need to get drunk/high. It's a horrendously selfish thing, but it happens every single day.

Realizing that and accepting it is the key, and only the addict can make the choice to do so.
yep.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post FreeOwl!! . . . very true!!