Notices

Did Interruptions & detail work take you 3 times as long?

Old 09-23-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did Interruptions & detail work take you 3 times as long?

I'm on Day 4 and haven't had any noticeable withdrawals except for some anxiety/irritability, which has been mild.

Those with a few years in....looking back, did you experience EXTREME trouble concentrating with interruptions? And did it take you like 3 times as long to do work?? I did some simple paperwork today that took me 3 hours....no math or major details involved.

I'm asking those with a few years sober because I want to know if this drastically gets better. I'm REALLY struggling with cognitive delay. I even did 1.5 years sober before. I've been to a neurologist and do not have brain damage.

Please give me insight into your experience! !
Old 09-23-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, the first week is a doozy! The first month was a big adjustment for me. But it really does get easier and you go along, or at least it has for me.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was struggling to get out of bed on day 4 - it gets a whole lot better tho SportsFan15 - hang in there

D
Old 09-24-2015, 01:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^^^^^^^^
Old 09-24-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I experienced this. It got better with each milestone.

Things that helped me to reduce the symptoms in the beginning include taking vitamins (particularly Bs), cutting down on caffeine, getting good rest each night , and making a habit of writing everything that I need to do on a to do list that I could refer to.

Congrats on quitting. Your brain sounds like it is healing!
Old 09-24-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I could have worked at all in those first ten days or two weeks. I was a mess.

Hang on, you will come out of this.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, the first week was very rough for me. I had "brain fog" off and on for months afterwards too. Looking back some of it was certainly withdrawals, but for me my health anxiety also factored in too. Your mind is very powerful thing and if it starts thinking the wrong way it can affect you physically too.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Yes I'm with all the others . Seemed like what would take me maybe 15 minutes would take an hour . Or I would just walk away cause I couldn't concentrate long enough to get it done . Almost like I had forgot how to do simple little things .
I couldn't imagine if I had worked then .. Take it easy on yourself
Sobriety journey is life long & at the begging it's a lot of work & patience . Hold on you'll get back on track ..
Old 09-24-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your brain chemistry is in transition, I am confident it will improve. I believe they use the term brain fog. Good job on 4 days.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 3 is early days!! If like me it took years to get to the point of quitting, then it's gonna take time for the body to adjust and repair, it's gonna take more than a few days.

It does get better though, so hang in there!!
Old 09-24-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you!

thank you all for helping me feel better and not so alone. I am so hard on myself at work. I know I have a major drinking problem but when the majority of the world tells you you are not an alcoholic I start to wonder if v symptoms of brain fog are all in my head. again I am positive and certain that I cannot drink. but I still needed reassurance that these symptoms are typical. thank you so much!