Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Today I'm celebrating 2 1/2 years of freedom!Thank you, SR....

Notices

Today I'm celebrating 2 1/2 years of freedom!Thank you, SR....

Old 09-24-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

This is so awesome to read! Thanks for coming here and sharing. I can relate to so much you have said. MANY Congratulations!

Old 09-24-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. It's stories like this that give me the determination to keep working hard on my recovery.

Congratulations, and I hope you enjoyed your cake. You've earned it
Old 09-24-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

congratulations!!!!
Old 09-24-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Dyl71

Congratulations! You definitely have my respect.....
Old 09-24-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Heartfan82 View Post
My last hangover was on March 23rd, 2013...
I had come to a point where I didn't even get a warm, fuzzy feeling from drinking anymore. I'd drink til I passed out, chasing that ever fleeting happy, contented coziness I once felt, in the early years of drinking alcohol. I tried different kinds, switched to wine for a while, then back to the mixed drinks with rum-- loads of rum--I would drink more than anyone I knew, and still couldn't feel that happy, euphoric thing...

I was tired of being sick pretty much every day, aka "hungover". Working while hungover was getting brutal, and I was ashamed. I started hiding from the world, in my own little world, in a constant haze (which makes the process of living seem so much more monumental).

We all have our own life stories; reasons, excuses why we began depending on our substance of choice, just to get through it...
There's too much to write for my own story here, but a couple of major events sent me over the edge, and I "checked out" with my trusty old stand-by at the end of the day, and all weekend long, for years....many, many years....

My soul-mate, best friend, husband and father of our children--yes, all that in one guy--passed away unexpectedly, after a horrible situation and month long stay in the hospital, at the age of 33. He had been in a coma, so there were no good-byes said between us, and I was alone to raise our two boys. I drank myself into a stupor that night, and you can guess how the next day went....and the next, and so on, etc., until a few years ago...

When I decided I was so tired of being held down, sinking lower and lower into guilt, shame, denial, hopelessness, anxiety about EVERYTHING, I said to myself, "Come on! Let's stop this merry-go-round for a while, and just see how the other side can be, it's got to be better over there, in sober land!" I started researching online about other people in similar situations...in other words: "alcoholics"....

I found this website, SoberRecovery, and started reading posts on these forums. I saw myself in so many stories here! And I saw real, down to earth people, sincerely helping out fellow alcoholics with advice, counseling, encouragement, compassion, etc......it was a life-changing day for me! I found the greatest gift I'd ever received, almost like a higher power led me right to it in my darkest hour!

I have not taken a drink of alcohol since that day. It has not been easy, especially the first 6 months or so, a kaleidoscope of feelings washing over me at any given time, day or night....doing anything I could to shake that craving, soaking lots of pillows with my tears...and all the while, checking in whenever I needed reassurance, here at the SR headquarters.

During this period of sobriety, my oldest son, who is paranoid schizophrenic, attempted suicide by drinking anti-freeze. I took him to the hospital, got him admitted to the psych-ward yet again, visited him every day, sometimes twice a day, for 28 days, until he was stabilized and able to come home....and still, I did not drink, though my instinct every night was to stop and buy a bottle on the way home from seeing him in there. My strength and resolve grew stronger day by day, with the help of SR!

I also read a great book called Rational Recovery, by Jack Trimpey, that helped answer lots of questions I had about AVRT, and how to deal with the 'beast' of addiction. What it all comes down to, is that I had to decide that alcohol is the enemy of ME, and I have to avoid it at all costs. It's not easy, but it is do-able, and it DOES get easier the longer I go...there are days now that I don't even think about drinking, at all! I am surprised, but ecstatic about that!

Life is definitely better now. I have freedom in so many areas of my life, I'm amazed every day. I feel so ALIVE, can actually feel myself think, I'm acutely aware of all my senses, I missed that for so many years. Life smells better, tastes better, sounds beautiful....the sun shines brighter, the hugs from my boys are tighter, I can feel their hearts beating, and I've never smiled or laughed so much in my life!!
My son is doing great, taking his meds, going to counseling, and being the sweet, smart, funny kid he used to be....we've had such an awesome year, I can hardly believe it! Do I sound happy now?!

One of the most special differences between then and now, is that I am able to drive anywhere, anytime, at night, middle of the night if I want to! That is freedom to me, and I savor it, and I will continue to fight for it. And with that, I'm off to the store, to buy myself a cake, to celebrate this special occasion.

Thanks to all of you here at SR. You don't know what you mean to me, and how you've saved me from the hell I was in before...There are some angels on these forums, I'm sure of it....

Best wishes to all on your sober journeys,
Peace,
~Heartfan

(2 yrs., 6 months of freedom!)
Congratulations and thank you so much for your share. You have helped me tremendously today
Old 09-24-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congratulations! thank you for a wonderful post!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Awesome. Thank you for sharing! You're an inspiration!!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

What an awesome achievement! Thank you for sharing. You are an inspiration!!
Old 09-24-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Fantastic Heartfan!!
Old 09-24-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Congratulations! And thanks so much for sharing. It helps my day to see an inspiring post like this.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Love, Love, LOVE this post!!
Old 09-24-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Wow, loved your post! Fantastic work and congratulations!
Old 09-24-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post! Many congratulations! I'm sorry for your loss in losing your husband. You are coping so marvellously now! I agree with you about the freedom to drive!
Old 09-24-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for all your congratulations and high fives! It means so much, from each one of you!Sometimes when things are getting tough, and I'm feeling down on myself, I think, "hey, wait a minute, I've gone pretty long without having a drink, now I think that's something to smile about!" I instantly feel better about whatever it is, that really puts things into perspective...

I'm glad if I can inspire anyone, I do remember reading for hours on this forum when I was starting out on my road to sobriety, and it helped me immensely, actually saved my life. I will always remember those who first reached out to me, on my first post, which I was scared to write....

The truth is, if you want to stop drinking? You CAN!! And after you make it through the first few weeks and months, doing whatever it takes, it will get easier, and the hard days are fewer and farther between. Load up on the good vibes, on the good days, they will carry you through the bad ones. I don't feel like I have any bad days now, and only once in a while I'll dream about drinking, which scares the he!! out of me, and I'm 100 % relieved to find out it was just a dream!

My boys (who are men now) say that I'm goofier, funnier, and look years younger than I did while drinking. They say they enjoy hanging out with me a lot more now, and I actually remember what we talked about the next day!

You can do it!
Peace,
~Heartfan

Old 09-24-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Well done, Heartfan. That is a great story, and you are so right to be proud to tell it. You have done it! Congratulations to you, and to those who know you. Onward!
Old 09-24-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Awwwweeeeesommmmmeee post!!!!!

Congrats on 2.5 years, heartfan!!
Old 09-25-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
pray for strength

My boys (who are men now) say that I'm goofier, funnier, and look years younger than I did while drinking. They say they enjoy hanging out with me a lot more now, and I actually remember what we talked about the next day!

You can do it!
Peace,
~Heartfan
Whoa! Now that is something to look forward to! Thanks for your inspiring updates and many congrats on your well rewarded, well deserved decision making and work. Propels me forward for sure.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys!!

I've noticed something I have in common with many of those in recovery is a rebirth of former passions and interests. Sobriety opens doors back into the things that once made you happy, and fulfilled, that drinking slowly chipped away at, eventually killing those dreams.....

I am now playing my guitar more, taking beautiful photos, and again, did I mention how I love to take road trips? Any time, any day or night (as long as I have gas money, lol)

What is your passion that you've been missing out on? It's something to look forward to! Best wishes, my fellow sober comrades....

Peace,
~Heartfan
Old 10-07-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You can do it!
The four most important words we can share with one another! Congrats, HeartFan!
Old 10-07-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Beautiful story. Beautiful person,