Notices

Just ate steak marinated in wine...

Old 09-24-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

a wine marinated steak doesnt end your sobriety. it's ok.

sounds like for you, alcohol marinated foods or sauces containing a bit of alcohol aren't a good idea.

I think for some it works and for some it doesn't.... but it definitely doesn't mean you've lost your sobriety.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies, this has been really helpful. Thankfully I have always hated red wine, and in my life never had more than a sip or two... If it had been insteak marinated gin however, it would have been a while different story...

Needless to say... I won't be eating anything like that again
Old 09-24-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
a wine marinated steak doesnt end your sobriety. it's ok.

sounds like for you, alcohol marinated foods or sauces containing a bit of alcohol aren't a good idea.

I think for some it works and for some it doesn't.... but it definitely doesn't mean you've lost your sobriety.

This is a great response. If, for you, it isn't working then it isn't right. I am someone who has relapsed and had a difficult time over and over and over again. That said, foods cooked with alcohol have never been a problem. In addition tinctures formulated with alcohol (bach flower remedies, valium, etc) have neverbeen an issue. Not even slightly. And I am someone who suffers greatly from addiction and relapses. But I can assure you, with my hand over the heads of my children, that alcohol in foods or medications is not the issue. You must look out for other triggers.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

This is a great thread!

I was at an Italian restaurant last week and nearly 90% of the entrees featured a wine based sauce. I panicked and ended up settling for something that did not have alcohol, but wasn't really what I would have wanted to try. I too was under the impression that alcohol mostly cooks out during food prep.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Do your best

I wonder why alcoholics want to use alcohol in food hmmmmm

I suggest every alcoholic on the planet to stay away from alcohol slipping it in food is still putting alcohol in your body knowingly

If you come with alcohol burns off then why use it pls I cook a lot do not chat ish about flavor because that is horseshit

To the original poster & anyone who isn't sure listen to D

To the ppl who cook with alcohol realise the contradiction
Old 09-24-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Alcohol in my ice cream!

I had hazelnut ice cream twice this summer from a shop that makes it on site. It was delicious and didn't taste of alcohol. This past Saturday I went to get a pumpkin spice ice cream. While waiting on the line I saw bottles of Frangelico (hazelnut liquer) in the prep area and a man measuring out some to mix into the cream. My heart sunk. I think there should have been a sign indicating this. It's an old mom and pop type shop that just says all fresh and natural homemade. Next time I'll stick to fruit flavors. -_-
Old 09-24-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about it, draw a line under it and keep moving forward!!
Old 09-24-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by bpclay1 View Post
Thanks for all the replies, this has been really helpful. Thankfully I have always hated red wine, and in my life never had more than a sip or two... If it had been insteak marinated gin however, it would have been a while different story...

Needless to say... I won't be eating anything like that again
Glad you posted a thread - Congrats on 3 years sobriety, well done!

Hope you might consider being more active on the forum - I am certain you have a lot to pass on to others with your experience, strength and hope!

Keep coming back, friend - more often!
Old 09-24-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

First of all, there is no way that counts as throwing away your sobriety in my opinion - no way at all.

Second, this thread is seriously making me hungry. I want steak and battered fish and stuff now.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

My last post was honest but another way of saying it, is....

The alcohol that remains say that exact volume of the liquid was in a glass just the alcohol would you drink it ?

Same goes for beer batter would you drink the amount of beer if it was in a pint ?

Btw I make fish batter I use sparkling water it is the exact same & in my experience works better

Not unless it's for the 'Taste' or something ?

Either way thats my 2 cents