Notices

First AA meeting

Old 09-23-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA meeting

I am wanting to go to my first aa meeting tonight. I am scared. Just walking in not knowing anyone makes me feel so nervous. I need a sponsor too. But I'm also nervous to ask.

Thanks for listening.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

First off, welcome to SR and congrats on deciding to live a better way of life in recovery.

No need to be nervous. Everyone there has been in your shoes before and is there to help themselves by helping you.

This is one of my favorite posts on this same subject:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5381030

Wishing you the best! Hope you'll let us know how it goes.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Cathy
Old 09-23-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dyl71

Welcome Cathy,

Do not be afraid.....meetings are an excellent way to support your recovery. You don't even have to talk if you don't want to.....just listen to others.

Keep a good thought!
Old 09-23-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that taking any kind of action to help your recovery is a good idea.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Cathy! Welcome to SR. I think going to a meeting is a great idea and you should be proud of yourself in deciding to take that step.

Keep us posted on how it went.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
Naturally you are nervous most first timers are, I call it fear of the unknown, believe me we don’t bite!
You will meet people who understand you and each other. You don’t have to say anything tho it might help if you just said my name is Cathy, perhaps add “I’m new.”
The big thing is to listen and try to absorb. Perhaps at the during or at the end of the meeting you might have a question.
It’s strongly suggested we in the beginning especially stick to women as sometimes emotions are strong.
There are a lot of types of meetings with different flavors so to speak. I’d suggest O Speaker meetings and O or C Discussion meetings until others are suggested like certain woman’s meetings.

BE WELL

TYPES OF MEETINGS
O OPEN SPEAKER (PUBLIC WELCOME)
C CLOSED (A.A. members only, or for those who have a drinking problem and “have a desire to stop drinking.”)
OD OPEN DISCUSSION
CD CLOSED DISCUSSION
CS CLOSED SPEAKER MEETING
SD SPEAKER DISCUSSION
BB BIG BOOK DISCUSSION
12 12 STEP MEETING
T 12 TRADITION MEETING
M MEN
W WOMEN
* BEGINNER’S MEETING (Approximately 1 1/2 hours before regular meeting time)
YP YOUNG PEOPLE
NS NO SMOKING at this meeting
G GAY, LESBIAN, BISEXUAL & TRANSGENDER
# Must Sign to Enter
H AT END OF ADDRESS INDICATES ACCESSIBLE TO PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES (May not be toilet accessible)
A number used in the code of a discussion meeting indicates the night of each month it is a speaker meeting.
All “O” (Open Public Welcome) listed meetings are speaker meetings.
Meetings are 11/2 hrs. unless otherwise indicated.
Please call Central Service for information on meetings interpreted for the deaf.

AA Description Comment
O Open Meeting Everyone is Welcome. The group has voted to allow all comers to attend the meeting, although usually only Alcoholics speak.
C Closed Meeting The group has voted attendance is limited to alcoholics only.
The 'O' or 'C' codes designates who may attend a meeting. This is a matter of group conscience. These codes may be joined with others (below) to provide a better understanding of the group's intent for a meeting. For instance, there maybe 'OBB' or 'CBB'; 'OD' or 'CD' meetings.
In cases where the codes 'O' or 'C' are the only codes used, group conscience has designated the meeting as a speaker meeting. Usually speakers are exchanged between groups. These speakers share their "experience, strength and hope" in relating their arrival at a sober life and their commitment to maintaining sobriety.
BB Big Book The book Alcoholic Anonymous (the Big Book) is the text for these meetings. When the focus is on a specific text, usually the group supplies copies of the book for attendees. If you would like to make notations in the text, obtaining a personal copy is useful.
In the case of Big Books, a number of meetings in the area give new members a copy to keep for their own use. Ask around for these meetings.
BS Big Book Step Study This type of meeting focuses on specific material from the Big Book and the book Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions (12 & 12). Again texts are usually supplied for attendees, but individual copies are available from Central Service.
D Discussion A chairperson is designated for a meeting; the chairperson speaks briefly about their "experience, strength and hope". Following this the chairperson may suggest a topic for sharing by other attendees.
GV Grapevine These are chairperson led meetings focusing on the monthly publication of the Grapevine.
LS Living Sober A chairperson leads the meeting in a discussion of material drawn from the AA publication Living Sober.
P Promises The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous are on pages 82 and 83 of the Big Book. These are the focus of a chairperson led discussion.
R Reflections A recent addition to the AA library, Reflections provides daily material for meditation and prayer. Meetings of this type focus on this daily practice.
S Step Using the book Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions (12 & 12) the meeting focuses on the Steps. Depending on group conscience, a new step is read and discussed each week. Alternately, participants read and discuss individual paragraphs with each week building on the prior weeks work.
SBS Big Book Enhanced 12 & 12 Step The key here is the word 'enhanced'. The group's conscience mandates a specific and detailed approach to the Big Book and the 12 & 12.
SD Speaker / Discussion Initial speakers kick off the group's discussion of matters brought up by the speakers.
ST Step / Tradition The meeting focuses on both the 12 Steps and the 12 Traditions. The formats of these meetings vary. Please investigate on your own.
T Tradition The second half of the 12 and 12 are the focus of these meetings.
TP Tradition Promise These meetings are a combination of the Traditions and the Promises.
BG Beginner Any of the above meetings may, by group conscience, be designated as a Beginner meeting. These meetings are usually led by more experienced group members with the primary focus on introducing new members to the tools available for the maintenance of sobriety.
Beginners are not restricted to meetings of this type; they are welcomed at all meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous. A benefit of a "beginner" meeting is the opportunity to meet other peers as they start their sober lives.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope it goes well Cathy - do let us know.
This link will give you some idea of what to expect

Your First AA Meeting<

Welcome to SR

D
Old 09-24-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Cathy!!