Notices

Husband Returning on Day 7 of My Sobriety

Old 09-22-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The best way out is through -- Robert Frost

Husband Returning on Day 7 of My Sobriety

Hello!

Thank you in advance for your assistance and experience. I hope to be able to do the same for others.

This is my first post. I am 40 years old, have bipolar disorder, and am married to an alcoholic. My doctors and I created a system in which I could drink a glass of wine with dinner every night as part of my much needed routine. Over the past few years, months, weeks, and days I have been questioning whether even that moderate amount has room in my life. I am married to an alcoholic and all of my friends are alcoholics so there are definitely times when I fall into a cycle and my intake of alcohol increases. While I can't pinpoint it as an actual trigger (have to go into a cycle without alcohol in my life to help determine that!), I can say it escalates either my mania or my depression.

After drinking regularly for the past 22 years, I decided last week to stop. I have been reading Allen Carr's book (which helped me with my manic habit, smoking) and have been exercising, eating well, sleeping a lot, etc. My husband has been out of the country for work. He returns tomorrow night, my day seven of not drinking. He is agreeable, if not outright supportive. I am feeling very anxious about this because I have gotten a taste of what my life could be without alcohol. He has carelessly said things like, "If you are feeling so tired from withdrawal, why don't you just go back to drinking? I mean, what's the point if you are not going to feel better?" and "Don't worry about cooking dinner for me tomorrow, but can you please buy x, y, z six-packs of beer and bottles of wine?" I feel he is not taking this seriously and/or is worried about how things are going to change between us.

Any suggestions for how to manage my next few nights until the new routine sets in? I am very much not worried about the relationship yet because I am focused on my health. The bipolar has been ravaging me these past few years and I think sobriety may help make me a happier person.

Thank you again!
Old 09-23-2015, 12:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi WenRiver and welcome to this wonderful community.

Here is a stream of consciousness recollection of my experience interacting with my husband on Day 7 - just loaded with tips. It is a bit long so bear with me.

During my days with alcohol, afternoons were the beginning of my drinking period which was mixed with cooking, writing, reading on the laptop. I reflexively had a drink in hand at all times so I needed to have a prepared substitute.

1) Intentionally fill your refrigerator with cans or bottles of substitute non-alcoholic drinks. Have a large glass of a non-alcoholic drink with ice and lemon, for example, something to replace the ritual and reflex of having alcohol (your glass of wine) in hand.

As soon as my husband arrived home for the night we would start a 'State of the Union' type discussion with drinks in hand. I had a very uncomfortable awareness that he was drinking alcohol while I was not.

2) Mentally prepare yourself. You do not and will not drink alcohol. Whatever your husband does, drinks, says, gestures, comments...you will no longer be drinking alcohol, but you have your non-alcoholic substitute and will converse and plow through any awkwardness or discomfort.

At day 7, I did have a hypomanic focus on the entire drinking relationship. Try not to make any judgement statements when talking with your husband. Not drinking alcohol changes the dynamic and this is OK. He will respond however he will. No judgements, no decisions. You know that you are just no longer drinking alcohol and this is really important - the priority.

I felt uncertainty regarding so many things, well, everything, and did not have answers for a lot of the questions that came along. Some people find comfort in discussing the experience with their partner, I did not. I was a whirling dervish, cooking and cleaning and listening. The counter had an extensive beverage assortment while we talked: iced tea, hot tea, fizzy water, Gatorade. It is all OK.

3) Have some physical activities in mind. My running shoes were by the door. Instead of starting an argument (which I really, really felt the drive for), I put the shoes on along with some headphones, picked a great album and went out for some fresh air. Walking until the adrenaline and anxiety calmed down and left my body and mind was really important.

4) Stay logged on to SR, either on your computer or phone or both. While my husband drank, there was a (temporary) sense of loneliness, isolation, distance, fear. Stay connected to SR. We get it. The discomfort will pass as you pass through the first few weeks of changing your ritual and physical responses throughout the day. Your emotions may feel huge. This is OK.

This is just my experience.

5) Share your experience with us and stay connected. Making the conscious decision to no longer drink alcohol was one made to brave uncharted waters. For me it felt a bit selfish and I felt self-absorbed and generally hyper aware. That was OK. No judgment. Things change. Day 7 is not Day 8, is not Day 9.

6) Just ask your husband to buy his own booze for a while. This is realistic and will fortify your experience.

7) Take things between you and your husband as it comes. You do not have to figure anything out or solve the world's problems. Nope. Go easy on yourself.

8) H.A.L.T. is frequently mentioned on SR. Try not to be hungry, angry, lonely or tired. Take care of you the best way you know how.

Congrats on Day 7, Wen. You are doing great. Keep it up. .
Old 09-23-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, WenRiver! I'm glad you found us here.

If you need a routine I suspect even your doctor would recommend something other than alcohol if you explained that it's becoming a problem for you. I agree with you- sobriety probably needs to be placed ahead of your relationship temporarily while you get this sorted.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there!

I'm bipolar too and I'm nearly three months sober, and I can tell you that it makes a HUGE difference. Admittedly, three months isn't long, but I'm a rapid-cycler. I was up and down every half-hour at some points, suicidal one minute and ontopoftheworld the next. A living Hell. It's calmed down quicker and more effectively than I could have imagined. Even one drink will set me off for days.

I hope this doesn't sound like medical advice, cos that's not allowed here. I'm just telling you from my experience that alcohol is a massive trigger (for me).

Do whatever you can to get sober...it's SO worth it.

Best wishes
Old 09-23-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Wen

Lots of good advice and input here already...

I'll just add that anytime you feel a little wobbly in your resolve, log on here - we're here to help

D
Old 09-23-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Wen, your husband probably won't understand what you're doing, but if you keep it simple you should be able to request that he doesn't ask you to buy alcohol, or try to talk you out of sobriety.
He doesn't sound capable of giving active support, and if you get your expectations up too high expect to be disappointed, but to be fair this is your journey not his. As long as he doesn't actively sabotage you.
Remember, you've chosen this course, so own your choice. Don't rely on approval from anyone because your own self-esteem knows you're doing the right thing.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're doing really well so far.

The decision to stop drinking is one you made, to improve your life, and is one you came to willingly, thoughtfully, and for what sound like all the right reasons.

Yes, your example might inspire him to look again at his own drinking. Or he might feel threatened by it and go the other way. Who knows, but you have no control over what he decides to do or how he decides to act. Right now, all of your focus needs to be on your own health, mental and physical. Whatever short term discomfort your decision might cause your husband, or you relationship with him, hopefully once he sees you aren't trying to force him to change his own ways, then things should settle down again.

I hope he proves willing to help you on your journey to a new, better life, but if not, try not to let that be a cause of you giving up, or questioning the changes you want to make.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Wen
Old 09-23-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

HI Wen River - Welcome to SR. I agree 100% with what Verte says. I have been utilizing all of her suggestions and they are extremely helpful. I have a glass of some non alcoholic liquid in my hands for every hour I would normally be drinking. I've been drinking at least 3 liters of seltzer water every day. I keep SR available to me during those precarious hours. I am not getting any active support from my husband. I continue to purchase alcohol for my husband, though it's been only a couple of times that he's asked. Hubby tends to show his disapproval with me by sulking and giving me the silent treatment. To me, that is worse than purchasing the beer. BUT - That is me and my situation.

Open Tuning mentioned that your non drinking might inspire your husband to look at his own drinking. Could happen. Yesterday was the first day in I don't know how long that my husband didn't have anything to drink. I expect him to drink today, but it might be a start for him to at least moderate. Perhaps your husband will be the same. Hang in there - you are doing an AWESOME job! Please post often.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, my goodness, Verte -- thank you so much for your list of practical and pleasurable ways of managing the next few days. I really appreciate the support and the concrete suggestions. I LOVE dance-walking and listening to music! I also love bubbly, fizzy (non-alcoholic) drinks -- they just feel like fun. I will be very aware of H.A.L.T.; I really needed that reminder. I will definitely stay tuned in to SR. I have been guest reading for some time and am very grateful to be a member now. Thank you so much again.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Myth, discussing my treatment with my doctor is a great idea! I often forget to utilize that aspect of my support network. I put in a phone call and we have decided to have daily check-ins until our next appointment. Thank you for your support regarding putting my health first. It means a lot.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep checking in to let us know how you're getting on
Old 09-23-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ooooh, Carver -- I am an ultra-rapid cycler and can definitely relate to the extreme, frequent swings. Congratulations on your three months! That is a long time, I think, for anyone, and especially for someone who goes through many many ups and downs on a daily basis and has to consciously work on self-trust. You demonstrate a lot of strength in character and are an inspiration. You represent possibility! I hope that isn't too much pressure!

I definitely didn't get a medical advice vibe; I just feel supported by your message and am very appreciative that you have shared your experience.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

FeelingGreat, I definitely want to keep reminding myself that this is my journey and that I don't need anyone's approval. Thank you for putting this into words that I can use as a reality check. I don't want to impose my journey on his; I just want even inactive support. I have to keep my expectations realistic. I really appreciate your straightforwardness on this matter. It will help keep me grounded in the days ahead.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
Sounds like you're doing really well so far.

The decision to stop drinking is one you made, to improve your life, and is one you came to willingly, thoughtfully, and for what sound like all the right reasons.

Yes, your example might inspire him to look again at his own drinking. Or he might feel threatened by it and go the other way. Who knows, but you have no control over what he decides to do or how he decides to act. Right now, all of your focus needs to be on your own health, mental and physical. Whatever short term discomfort your decision might cause your husband, or you relationship with him, hopefully once he sees you aren't trying to force him to change his own ways, then things should settle down again.

I hope he proves willing to help you on your journey to a new, better life, but if not, try not to let that be a cause of you giving up, or questioning the changes you want to make.
OpenTuning, yes! This is the crux of it. I am especially hopeful that whatever discomfort he feels IS short term -- a concept that I didn't even consider until you wrote it! Of course he may be uncomfortable until we settle in a new routine, as I may (likely) be! I would love for him to follow a healthy journey for himself, but that is definitely his choice. I will keep my eye on the prize: a life filled with possibilities.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verte View Post
Hi WenRiver and welcome to this wonderful community.

Here is a stream of consciousness recollection of my experience interacting with my husband on Day 7 - just loaded with tips. It is a bit long so bear with me.

During my days with alcohol, afternoons were the beginning of my drinking period which was mixed with cooking, writing, reading on the laptop. I reflexively had a drink in hand at all times so I needed to have a prepared substitute.

1) Intentionally fill your refrigerator with cans or bottles of substitute non-alcoholic drinks. Have a large glass of a non-alcoholic drink with ice and lemon, for example, something to replace the ritual and reflex of having alcohol (your glass of wine) in hand.

As soon as my husband arrived home for the night we would start a 'State of the Union' type discussion with drinks in hand. I had a very uncomfortable awareness that he was drinking alcohol while I was not.

2) Mentally prepare yourself. You do not and will not drink alcohol. Whatever your husband does, drinks, says, gestures, comments...you will no longer be drinking alcohol, but you have your non-alcoholic substitute and will converse and plow through any awkwardness or discomfort.

At day 7, I did have a hypomanic focus on the entire drinking relationship. Try not to make any judgement statements when talking with your husband. Not drinking alcohol changes the dynamic and this is OK. He will respond however he will. No judgements, no decisions. You know that you are just no longer drinking alcohol and this is really important - the priority.

I felt uncertainty regarding so many things, well, everything, and did not have answers for a lot of the questions that came along. Some people find comfort in discussing the experience with their partner, I did not. I was a whirling dervish, cooking and cleaning and listening. The counter had an extensive beverage assortment while we talked: iced tea, hot tea, fizzy water, Gatorade. It is all OK.

3) Have some physical activities in mind. My running shoes were by the door. Instead of starting an argument (which I really, really felt the drive for), I put the shoes on along with some headphones, picked a great album and went out for some fresh air. Walking until the adrenaline and anxiety calmed down and left my body and mind was really important.

4) Stay logged on to SR, either on your computer or phone or both. While my husband drank, there was a (temporary) sense of loneliness, isolation, distance, fear. Stay connected to SR. We get it. The discomfort will pass as you pass through the first few weeks of changing your ritual and physical responses throughout the day. Your emotions may feel huge. This is OK.

This is just my experience.

5) Share your experience with us and stay connected. Making the conscious decision to no longer drink alcohol was one made to brave uncharted waters. For me it felt a bit selfish and I felt self-absorbed and generally hyper aware. That was OK. No judgment. Things change. Day 7 is not Day 8, is not Day 9.

6) Just ask your husband to buy his own booze for a while. This is realistic and will fortify your experience.

7) Take things between you and your husband as it comes. You do not have to figure anything out or solve the world's problems. Nope. Go easy on yourself.

8) H.A.L.T. is frequently mentioned on SR. Try not to be hungry, angry, lonely or tired. Take care of you the best way you know how.

Congrats on Day 7, Wen. You are doing great. Keep it up. .
^^^^ Brilliant, this.

Welcome to SR, WenRiver.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Rar, wow. Thank you so very much for sharing your experience. I love love love seltzer! I like to toss in herbs like mint and basil. Mmmmmmmm.

I agree, the disappointment my husband expresses (we have tried this in the past) is worse than asking me to buy alcohol. I hang out with my friends who drink and I cook with alcohol, so purchasing it is not really the issue. The support is. Sometimes he intimates that my healthy choices are ruining our fun. In the past, when I have given up, he springs to new, joyful life. This time is different. I am delighted with my choice, not at all mournful. I hope my happiness demonstrates to him that what is good for me is good for us (and vice versa).

I am very impressed with your perseverance! And your continued support of your husband -- that is important, too. I would love to hear how things go with your husband's choices and with you, if you are interested in sharing. I will keep you updated, too!

Keep going strong!
Old 09-23-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not Sure If I Am Responding Correctly

Hello, everyone! Thank you so much for your support and your wonderful responses!

I hope I am replying to your messages technically correctly -- I don't know how to make sure you know that I am responding to individual messages!

Any and all suggestions welcome.

I will keep you posted on how things go ...
Old 09-23-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Soberwolf: thank you! This gang has definitely helped me feel welcome. Good timing, too.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome Wen your posting fine looking forward to more

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html