Notices

Anger is a huge trigger

Old 09-22-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anger is a huge trigger

I'm on day 6 sober and most of the withdraw is over. Today I had a job interview and needed to print some paperwork to take with me. My fiance was on the computer before me and was changing the ink cartridge and somehow managed to break the cartridge holder. I didn't have enough time to go anywhere else to print out what I needed so I went to my interview feeling like an ******* for not having what I needed. I was so mad at her and it just compounded the stress that already was there from the interview and recently quitting drinking. I was sooooo close to stopping and getting a bottle but thankfully I didnt. In any case it was terrifying that I got so worked up over it and almost drank again. Lesson learned that anger is a huge if not the biggest trigger for me. Anyone else have issues with anger being a huge trigger? How to you manage the anger?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anger is a trigger of mine as well, and so is stress. So I usually try and set myself up for the next day at night time. I put things where I need them, and make sure everything is all ready to go in the morning in case something happens that I dont have the time to do it in the morning.

Being proactive in all walks of your life will help with he stress, anger, and anxiety issues. Just knowing that I am all ready for tomorrow, helps me rest easier that night.

Since you are on day 6, this stress and anger tends to come to a head around this time to the next few weeks. At least that is what it works for me. Just keep powering through and dont drink.

What made you stop drinking?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Honestly EVERYTHING was a trigger when I first quit. Don't get down on yourself.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, anger is a big issue with me, it is my biggest downfall. There are so many things going on around me that trigger my anger. I try to ask myself, am I being unreasonable? Or are they?

It's a crazy world, things don't always go my way. People do things, sometimes intentionally, sometimes inadvertently. Bad things happen. I'm trying to learn to accept that. It is hard. I've drank many nights dwelling on this.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, I am on Day 15 and I can't keep from marveling what triggers I have. They sometimes sneak up on you. One minute you have all the resolve in the world, and the next the cravings start. I hear that they get better over time, so don't be too hard on yourself.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The crazy thing is I genuinely don't want to drink. It's just a reaction in my brain of association I guess. For so many years I would drink to cope with emotions among other things so when something happens that sparks those emotions it's like my logic turns off and chemical reactions in my brain take over. Crazy how the brain works.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HI.
In AA there are banners with the word HALT. This is very beneficial for the alcoholic as a reminder of our common triggers.
It translates as things we need to be very aware of within ourselves.
H – Hungry
A – Angry
L - Lonely
T – Tired

BE WELL
Old 09-22-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Madmartigan. Good job not caving to the anger trigger. Anger is a trigger for me also. I internalize my anger and used alcohol to cope. Last week I made it through an 'issue' with my husband. I didn't express any anger, but I was furious. I guzzled 3 liters of seltzer water, but made it through.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was livid at my BF on Saturday and I drank after 10 days sober. Now I'm just angry at myself. But I'm not drinking. Yes anger is huge.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm not so sure you were angry at her, but really angry at yourself for not doing that task before the last minute....most of my anger or resentments can be traced back to me and my procrastination or lack of action.....

It GETS BETTER the longer I stay stopped!!!

That anger can relax after a while, for me, it also depended on how much I took a look at my behaviors.

Congratulations on 6 fantastic days of sobriety!!!
Old 09-22-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, it was as Sugarbear described. I fairly quickly realized that my anger (and it was huge) was at myself.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This topic was spoken about at a meeting I went to and my sister said to me you never seem to angry that's really not a trigger for you. Well, it is an issue for me. I thought about it for a week or so and realized it really is. It just simmers. For me I just accept the things that set me off and move on as best I can. I have to focus on it. I can't let it keep coming back into my head and replaying the incident or issue. It's not easy, but I just tell myself, and even aloud at times. Move on. Stop dwelling on it.