Notices

14 day check in and inventory

Old 09-22-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 day check in and inventory

I have been sober 14 days now and have noticed the following changes:

Health: Racing heart is completely gone. No sour stomach or headaches. I am still waking up at night a bit, but can roll over and fall back to sleep, and have had a taste of that lovely sober sleep. Also, I noticed that my skin is looking so much better. I went ahead and took some of the money I would have spent on wine and bought myself some new skincare, including a clarisonic brush. Now that I'm not falling into bed drunk, I can have a better evening routine!

Work: I've had some very long days, but they have been incredibly productive and I seem to be able to move between things with calmness and efficiency. Sat in a challenging meeting yesterday, really able to listen without enmeshing myself or getting upset.

Outlook: This week, this is where I've seen the most change. I've had some moments of pure joy. But it hasn't all been rainbows and unicorns either. I had a low moment when I learned that I might be turned down for an honor because I didn't get something done I was supposed. I thought about it for awhile, and realize that what really upset me wasn't the loss of the honor--there have been honors in the past and there probably will be in the future--but how that moment really made me have to acknowledge that alcohol has had a negative effect on my life, including my career. I think for many years when my inner self would whisper to me, concerned about my drinking, I would silence it by saying, "I'm still doing this. I just got that..." This moment put the lie to all of that. It isn't the only moment, of course. But it is one of the first I've heard in a long time because I'm sober now.

No use crying over spilt milk. All I can do is pull up my big girl panties and get to work on the future And to use this moment as an important reminder why I need to remain sober.

Thanks to all of you for your support and insight.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 2 weeks matilda, that is fantastic! Glad to hear you are seeing improvements in many areas of your life, thanks for sharing the good news!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Scott! And the Packers have won their last two games--what more could a gal want (maybe another shot at the NCAA tournament? Go Badgers!)
Old 09-22-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Matilda, it sounds like you're doing really well, and feeling good about your accomplishments. Good for you!
Old 09-22-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post

No use crying over spilt milk.

Yep. As I get older the more I feel that guilt and regret are useless emotions.

Nice job on 2 weeks though.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is great news and extra good you are noticing how different you feel.
You Go Girl ! (and keep those pants pulled up! haha)
xx
Old 09-22-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome Matilda well happy for you
Old 09-22-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

great going matilda - and good insight

D
Old 09-22-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome Matilda! 14 days is great. I relate completely to the whole 'looking' better thing. I have a picture of myself from June 11, when I checked into detox...uh..yikes. Not only do I look insane (I was coming off a 2 week PTSD, alcohol fueled nightmare) but I look about 90. There is no comparison to how I look today. Its amazing and if that motivates me, I'll take it!

There will be more awards....you just keep doin what you're doin.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love it! You're doing great, keep it up!!
Old 09-22-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job! And thanks for the updates, very motivating. As I'm only on day 3 hearing from the 2 week people is much more motivating for as than the 2 year people (great for them! But 2 years is too far to mean anything to me).

Congratulations and once again, thanks for the motivation!

KP
Old 09-22-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

KP, come join us over on the September thread. Great support over there, with a lot of folks in the beginning stages, like us, and a lot of great advice from those who've walked the road longer than we have. Take care--3 days is fantastic!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you shared your (sober) pure joy with us!
Old 09-23-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done Matilda! I'm 16 days today so we're almost twins : )))

I'm also using a skincare routine in the morning that is a scrub, foam wash and spritzer spray (dermalogica) It's sat in my shower for a year at least, I used to look at it hungover and think "what the f***, why bother?" Now I do bother and I appreciate the sensation.

I also appreciate taste and flavours more, I may be over eating a little bit but hey, it's worth it compared to the alternative.

What I love most is the fact that I'm sleeping well, not waking up feeling like I've just had a car crash and that I can RELY ON MYSELF every day. I can rely on myself to do anything to the best of my ability. Previously I knew what my best was, but depending on the drunk the night before I would be seriously impaired, embarassingly so at times. I wanted to tell people "this isn't really me!" but of course I had to hide the reason why. Now I'm so glad to be the best of me. For now....

Great work, let's keep it up xxx
Old 09-23-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yay! You're doing so well! Congrats on day 14!

And I hear ya about the skincare! I passed out in bed with the day's makeup on my face for the last ten years, not anymore. I actually have a skincare routine for the first time in my life and my skin is already starting to clear up

You are doing phenomenally well, I love reading your posts
Old 09-23-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 14 is fantastic Matilda!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 09-23-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats Matilda, I am at day 16 today, and I am noticing all of those same things as well. Moments of pure joy, noticing the blue sky, having great meaningful conversations with my wife, and rediscovering my passions in life.

It is a great thing to be sober. Now I just have to keep it that way, one day at a time. If you would have told me this 17 days ago, I wouldn't have believed you.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on 14 Matilda!!! Great accomplishment. Keep going, it gets better and better.