Notices

Relationship Making Sobriety Hard

Old 09-22-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relationship Making Sobriety Hard

Anyone ever got into a relationship with an addiction, then sobered up and realised that maybe the relationship was no good? Even though the other persons done nothing wrong?

Is it selfish to leave them after they put up with the addict you, I think it is, but im not happy and think remaining could be a threat to me being sober and clean in the future.

Any similar experiences?

Or advice? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd say follow your heart/gut always. I know I made a lot of relationship compromises when I was using. With a clear mind, things get real in a hurry.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know it's not the same thing, but I purchased a vacation/time share when I was drunk. What was I thinking? One of the stupidest things I'd done.

I was easy prey at the time. Sober I would have laughed at them.

So now that you are sober, you see there is a different perspective and how your values adjust.
Heartache now or heartache later followed by a long process of trying to figure things out. Do what's best for you. And if being in this relationship threatens your ability to stay sober... "at all costs" and "do whatever it takes" come to mind.
Good luck.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I have somewhat the opposite situation . So I guess you could say . I'm the bad one I sobered up , my partner has been trying . More on then off , & I felt like kicking him to the curb many times . We met drinking , he has almost caused me to relapse a few times . In my 2 years of sobriety . Dealing with an alcoholic every day is hard on the other side . It drains all of your emotions , you stop caring .
I know both sides . My family got sick of me too . It's not fair - Not at all . Just try hard to understand - how hard it was for them to see you go through it . It brakes them apart . Instead of fighting it give them space only thing you can do .
Mine is giving me my space , he will stay away so I can breath & not deal with it everyday . It's getting better ....Patience
Old 09-22-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We don't do anyone any favors by staying in a relationship that is not making us happy -- yes, the other person may grieve the partnership, but you would be freeing them to pursue something else.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No it's not selfish at all. Though I would advise to be respectful and honest and considerate of their feelings. That is the risk we take when we start a relationship and if you come to realize it's not so good it would be unfair to continue.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Put your sobriety first