Notices

Seasons

Old 09-21-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seasons

Hi everyone,

I would like to start a discussion on seasonal coping. Seasonal affective disorders of whatever we have experienced.

From all the psychologial works I have explored (and I think I've done a lot), analyses keep coming back to my being an autumn/winter girl. It's not only the way I experience things, but when.

For example, for me now "my time of the year" is just coming. Early fall right now, and this will be my favorite time of the year until maybe early January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJGpsL_XYQI

How about you?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi! I am a fall/winter kind of gal too.
I find overcast or cloudy skies to be calming. They make me happy. I feel more invigorated in the cooler weather and cold does not bother me much.

Summer is my most anxiety ridden time of year, I feel over stimulated and unhappy, and my anxiety just shoots through the roof.

Getting sober this summer has been like wading through a swampy nightmare in slow motion. The heat, humidity and increase in volume, crowds and smells during the summer just make me want to crawl in a cool, dim room and stay there until October.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I enjoy Spring & Autumn not too Hot & not too Cold https://youtu.be/S9nSgMwtkK0?list=PL2C39ACBCA00A6EDC
Old 09-21-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I live in London where we don't get much in the way of hot or sunny so for me I prefer spring,with all its promise and summer for the long nights, it rarely gets unbearably hot
Old 09-21-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Interesting topic. I am definitely a fall/winter person. Spring is ok too...but I know summer is coming so I start to get anxious. Summer, while manageable is my worst time for anxiety and stress. I just want to hide.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also, I was born in the wintertime (February) and now my child is due in January
Old 09-21-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I live in London where we don't get much in the way of hot or sunny so for me I prefer spring,with all its promise and summer for the long nights, it rarely gets unbearably hot
My sentiments exactly, except I don't live in London. Wish I did, sometimes.

Autumn is often very pretty where I live -- as is winter -- but I like the newness of spring and the sunniness of summer.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Summer and Autumn are favorite times. But, by late Autumn here (November), things become cold and the colors disappear. Winter here is a lot of grey/brown colors and I do find it depressing. I become less active because my main activity is walking outside.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Interesting. I love Autumn for its earthy beauty and calming. I love spring for its vibrant beauty and emergence from winter (which drags on me by February) but I do feel the anxiety ramp up in spring and summer brings sluggishness and irritability (southeastern US).
I'm excited to experience the coming seasonal changes sober, I am hopeful that they will be much more emotionally stable than in past years.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Autumn is my favourite, though being in Ireland seasons sometimes aren't as pronounced as I would like, sometimes they just all roll into one!!

Great topic Aellyce!!
Old 09-21-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

Winter -- too much bundling, too much rich food, too much family.
Spring -- used to love it, too many squashed ideals.
Fall -- just sad.

Summer. Can't say enough about it or in its favor. Letting your feet breathe. Going as close to naked as you possibly can. Summer forces me to accept what I can not change.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Fall is by far my favorite in my neck of the woods. The weather is perfect. Hangs in the high 60s to low 70s into the beginning of November usually. And the best part: Low humidity!

Winter can be tough though. It can feel like you go weeks without seeing sunshine.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Living in "The Land of Eternal Spring" here, so lucky for me it's also my favorite season. Even back in Minnesota as a kid, watching the snow melt off the driveway on those warm March days, I couldn't wait to put on a t-shirt and shoot baskets! Here in Guate it's the rainy season. Lots of flowers, lush greenery everywhere, yet chilly enough to have a fire in the fireplace at night up here in the mountains. I also enjoy summer. Haven't had a "true winter" in a few years, not sure I miss it just yet.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think there is something wrong with me.....I get depressed going into every season. Even Winter to Spring. I don't mind any of the seasons once they are here but going into any of them kicks my emotional butt.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I grew up on the West Coast, where the weather was perfect year-round. Then I came out to New England and discovered Seasonal Affective Disorder...
Fall couldn't be more beautiful where I live but the winters are very harsh. I won't be able to tolerate many more of them, so I'm looking to move away. It's not the cold or snow that bother me, but the fact that there are literally times when I don't see sunshine for days. It's a sad way to live.

Delfin
Old 09-21-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

I love spring when the mornings (and evenings) draw out, the new growths start appearing, the March hare running zigzagedly over the fields.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I also grew up on the West Coast Delfin, then a few years ago I moved to the Pacific Northwest. Same thing - too gloomy, for too long.. So I moved to SE Asia where there's lots of sunshine. But the weather still doesn't compare to Northern California, lol. Nothing beats a Mediterranean climate, despite the rather muted seasons.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I really like this early fall time of year. Cooling down, and growing up, the promise of a new school year, when things would hopefully be "different."

Its been tough this year. The light is softer and the prairie is turning golden...but I'm in the damned city instead of home in Old Wyoming...

Less than a year. Heh.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Fall is definitely my favorite season. Great temps during the day for exercise and nice and cool in the evenings to keep the windows open while I sleep for that crisp, fresh autumn air while I sleep. Love it!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Spring. Spring. Spring. Love it. Seconded by summer. Third winter.

I don't like fall. At all. My loved ones died in October. I actually prefer the dead of winter to the anticipation of the death that fall brings with it.