Notices

Sorry to be a downer

Old 09-21-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sorry to be a downer

Having a horrible 2 day stretch. The guy I hired to help me until the end of the year texted me last night and had to quit. Made some lame excuse, said I don't even have to pay him for past work because he felt bad. I personally think he has substance abuse (alcohol) issues, he smells like booze in the morning. I am unable to perform the work necessary by myself because of knees. I am so stressed I threw up yesterday and didn't sleep all last night.

The bright side is that I'm not drinking, and not going to drink. In the past I would have went straight to the bottle to numb this problem. And the problem would be 10 times worse tomorrow. I'll get through it, I'll figure something out. This can't end soon enough.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I don't see this as a downer; you didn't drink and you know that you will figure something out! That's progress.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Joanne; you didn't drink in a situation where you would have once looked to the bottle to cope with stress.

That was a success, Jeff.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear that but I agree that coming here was a great choice. Life is full of downers but we are defined by how we deal with them.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

I agree with the others - you had a success Jeff. I can imagine that you're in a very stressful situation wondering how you're going to get the job done. Now that you're sober, you will be able to rationally pursue hiring another worker. Good luck and congratulations in not caving. You did good.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jeff, great job on coming back here and posting. Took me a long time of falling on my face before it finally sunk in that life becomes more stressful when we drink... not the opposite way around.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done fantastic
Old 09-21-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You never need to apologize for coming here to vent or ask for help. That's what these forums are for. I had a very rough weekend myself and honestly the connections I've made here on SR saved my ass.

One foot in front of the other, keep moving forward, you'll find your way through this situation too. Congrats on not drinking. We're here for you, whatever you need...
Old 09-21-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The bummer of this whole thing is that I consider this guy a friend. Went to high school with him. I SPECIFICALLY told him if he decides this isn't for him, I need a week's notice. And he does this, and he's aware that I'm limited in the amount of work I can do. This clearly demonstrates to me that I am doing the right thing by selling my business and can move forward with my sanity hanging on by a thread. Thanks for listening.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
And the problem would be 10 times worse tomorrow.
And therein lies one of the truest things about alcohol. The only thing is does well -- and reliably well -- is make everything worse.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words Casey, I felt it was a little whiney, but its the reality of my situation and you guys always offer good perspective and encouragement.

Venecia, I recall years ago handling far too many if not almost all my work related stresses by drinking. I was quite a bit younger and could handle it (sort of). I drank every night. Would work my tail off every day for those drinks at the end of the day. After some serious conversations with my wife, we knew it had to stop, and it did. But then I was a weekend warrior. I was amazed how much better things got by simply going through the week sober, sleeping well, eating right etc....work almost didn't seem like "work" anymore. The weekend drinking was only occasionally problematic, and that is when I joined this site. And I can honestly say since my injuries, I haven't had a day where alcohol has held me back. I tried a few drinks one weekend, and it just wasn't for me. (i posted about it). I know its up to me to keep that going, and I think I will as I have had no regrets. Even my parents chimed in last week and told me they were proud of me and that I seem like a much better/happier person. And I am.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great post Thomas

I hope your business fetish he's a good price