Notices

Still trying to beat this

Old 09-21-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Still trying to beat this

So after not drinking for three days, Saturday night rolled around and I let the AV convince me it was okay to drink. Something along the lines of, "You've had a long week, worked hard. You deserve a few drinks."

There is one missing ingredient that has been key to my success in the past: consistent and frequent doses of SR. So I am going to stay logged into here on my phone and check in and read and post as much as possible throughout the day. Luckily Monday is probably my least busiest day of the week so I will have plenty of downtime.

I'm tired of this. Don't know why it's so hard, but it is. But I am going to beat it.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're determined! Do it; you know you can
Old 09-21-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Here's some links mns1

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 09-21-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thank you Carver I never quit on anything!

Soberwolf thank you so much as always. I will definitely give those a look today!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.

Hang in there and concentrate on not drinking thoughts, it helped me immensely.

Fairly early on I needed a replacement for alcohol in the form of the help of the good folks of AA which has helped millions abstain from drinking while working the program. This period was long before the internet so was the only show in town besides re habs.

Getting involved got me outside of myself and assured me of getting to meetingS.

I found out that stopping drinking for an alcoholic is the beginning of recovery and more is needed.
That’s called action and centers on work and changes to our self. Not what many want to do or participate in. it’s sort of like no change = no positive results.

I learned this from people who understand each other at meetings and want to help.

BE WELL
Old 09-21-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thank you IOAA!

I had a nice stretch of sobriety in the first part of the year and I was actively working on my self during that period. My therapist had me doing all kinds of mindful activities that really helped me turn my life around.

Now, I am making a living doing what I love. But at the same time, it is very early in my career and requiring a lot of hard work to develop myself professionally. So I have kind of fallen out of touch with that mindfulness practice in the midst of my busy life. But I am seeing my therapist today and I am going to talk to him about that and get back in touch with inner calm.

I need to focus on creating balance in my life. Several have suggested that to me and I think it is about time I placed extra focus on it.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

HI Mns - Good job setting another Day 1. I had two slips since my original stop date of 8/31. Each time I thought I would just have 1 to take the edge off. Well, we know how that works. So I set my final date to 9/7. It's now 2 weeks today without alcohol. Keep trying Mns. Don't give up. Examine what triggered you so it doesn't happen again. I stay very very close to SR and though it's still very early for me, I try to help others as much as I can with my limited sobriety experience. Hang in there. Never give up.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
"You've had a long week, worked hard. You deserve a few drinks."
One of the very long list of lies my AV tells me. I've fallen for it many times.

Don't listen to that old rascal. You can do this!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi Rar, and awesome job on two weeks! I agree 100%, we can't let ourselves fall into the trap of thinking we can just have one or even a couple. That's what I told myself on Saturday night and needless to say it didn't stop at a couple. I think my trigger is just lack of balance in my life. I'm letting my mind get lost in the hustle and bustle and it's time to bring it back.

Thank you Nonsensical. He AV is a sneaky little rat, but I'm going to buckle down and outsmart it. It starts today!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Get right back on that horse, msn1. You sound like you've got a great attitude and just experienced a minor fall. Put it behind you and look forward to a future of sobriety.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Rar, and awesome job on two weeks! I agree 100%, we can't let ourselves fall into the trap of thinking we can just have one or even a couple. That's what I told myself on Saturday night and needless to say it didn't stop at a couple. I think my trigger is just lack of balance in my life. I'm letting my mind get lost in the hustle and bustle and it's time to bring it back.

Thank you Nonsensical. He AV is a sneaky little rat, but I'm going to buckle down and outsmart it. It starts today!
Isn't it ironic that mindfulness requires.....mindfulness? So, this might be stupid, but I wear a band on my wrist to remind me to be mindful. Snap it and do deep breathing and calm my thoughts. Of course you have to mindful to remember it's there.....
Old 09-21-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thank you Cleomie! I never lt challanges kill my resolve. I'm going to beat this!

Thanks Frickaflip and that sounds like a good idea! But yes mindfulness does indeed require mindfulness!
Old 09-21-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Our AVs will tell us anything, absolutely anything, to convince that it is okay to drink. Their only consistency is that they ALWAYS lie. So we can be consistent and never believe them.

I am glad that you came right back, mns. You can absolutely do this.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you IOAA!

I had a nice stretch of sobriety in the first part of the year and I was actively working on my self during that period. My therapist had me doing all kinds of mindful activities that really helped me turn my life around.

Now, I am making a living doing what I love. But at the same time, it is very early in my career and requiring a lot of hard work to develop myself professionally. So I have kind of fallen out of touch with that mindfulness practice in the midst of my busy life. But I am seeing my therapist today and I am going to talk to him about that and get back in touch with inner calm.

I need to focus on creating balance in my life. Several have suggested that to me and I think it is about time I placed extra focus on it.

"I was actively working on my self during that period. My therapist had me doing all kinds of mindful activities that really helped me turn my life around. "

If you haven't already done so, I suggest getting back to that therapist.

Also - make a list of the other things that you were doing at that time.... those things worked FOR YOU.... that's important. Bring those things back into your life immediately.

Then - take note of the things you read here that work for others. Make a list of those things. AND TRY THEM.

Do not look for the reasons they won't work....
Do not seek the things that you think are 'different' about you....
Seek the similarities in the stories....
And embrace the willingness to try what has worked for others, with an open mind and the mantra "I am willing to see what this experience can teach me about myself, about sobriety, about my own path to a joyous life...."

Instead of 'trying to beat THIS (alcohol life)'..... consider seeing what happens if you choose to 'embrace THAT (soberlife)'.

It might seem a small and insignificant distinction, but for me it made a massive and critical difference.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good that you are being proactive.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job on coming right back here mns! Never give up the fight. Like Freeowl said, go back through your mental library on what worked to keep you sober the last go round. Expand on that. You know how to do this, you just need to tweak your plan and remember how much better life is without the complications of alcohol!

You can do this.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Good luck on getting back at it. I hope you have more success this time.

FYI if you have a Android phone there is a SR app which is much easier to use than trying to use the browser on your phone.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thank you everyone!

And FreeOwl, thank you. I still see that therapist once every two weeks and actually see him today. I may ask if we can start meeting every week again to help keep my mind in the game. I agree, I am going to take advantage of today to list everything that was working then as well as what could work now that I haven't tried.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great attitude! Alcohol is a liar and we don't have to listen!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you're right back in, mns1, and thanks for your honesty re: your drinking again.

I think being honest with your therapist and trying to increase your therapy sessions is a good idea.

Stick close to here too. Next time you get those thoughts of drinking, ask for help BEFORE you take that drink. It worked for me this weekend.