Notices

Trying for an AA meeting tomorrow

Old 09-19-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying for an AA meeting tomorrow

Trying to make myself go to an AA meeting for the first time tomorrow. Found one in a neighboring town in the afternoon.

Have an accountability thread I created for myself that I'm too embarrassed to post to currently. Same for the "September" thread.

It's been over two weeks since I joined this forum.

I want to make this month work, even if it's repeated efforts and heading past mid-month now :-(
Old 09-19-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Keep trying; it's never too late to start, and going to a meeting will help, especially if you give the people there a chance to get to know you. I find that it helps me with my accountability and I look forward to seeing the other members when I go now.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go to the AA meeting and when the moderator asks if anyone is attending their first meeting, raise your hand and admit it.

They will likely move into a newcomers meeting for your benefit, which could change your life.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never be embarrassed to post Silent - there's no one of us here who doesn't know what it's like to struggle.

Don;t cut yourself off from support at the very moment you need it the most

D
Old 09-19-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great idea SilentSearch
Old 09-19-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, please never be embarrassed. We've all been through tough times and we do understand. The main thing is that you're here and you're working on your recover.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go. AA meetings and support were very helpful to me in early recovery and I still catch meetings when I feel the need to get out of my head.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just go for it. Don't overthink it. just show up and let the rest happen. Believe me, you'll be surrounded by people that understand.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope you go, and I hope you will tell us about how you felt after your first meeting. I haven't gone yet, but I may need to. SR is certainly a place where I feel we can all learn from each other.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you're going, you will feel a lot better! If you choose to speak fine if not that's fine too.. Just listen.. If you do say it's your first meeting they will give you a newcomers packet with some information and phone numbers of members you can call if you need to talk to someone.. Try to be open minded and soak it all in. I've been in the program for many years so send me a note if I can be of any help or answer any questions you might have before or after.. There's also a lot of AA people in the 12 step program here at SR, it's listed on the main page.. Wishing you the best! Glad you're going! Listen to the folks with a lot of soberity time under their belts, stick around afterwards and get questions answered if you have any. Let us know how it went!!
Old 09-20-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi.
Fear of the unknown and a few negative comments, usually from people who don’t have a clue, make for apprehension about going to AA meetings. Many people on this forum go and often can refer themselves as “Happy, joyous and free.” That’s a huge difference from before going.

This is what makes AA successful and holds it together:

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.
The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

BE WELL
Old 09-20-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck - I'm sure you'll hear some useful stuff. I wouldn't be without my AA friends and the support I get there.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind comments. So - I'm here to report back.

I made it as far as the parking lot :-(
Which does mean I went with intention. Drove 5 miles to the place. Sat in the parking lot. There was some pickup truck that arrived just after I did.

I stepped out of my car. The truck was parked with motor idling. Who knows. Maybe it was someone intending to go in and feeling unable like me.

Felt uncomfortable though. Got back in my car, drove home.

So maybe, hopefully September is ramp up month. I've joined this forum.
Comments by you all in various posts got me as far as the door to meeting people in person.!

Very best to everyone.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rar

How did you do after you got home, Silent?
Old 09-20-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have just started going to AA meetings. I've tried a few different ones and I. Have found the people to be nice and welcoming. I wasn't thrilled about one meeting, but the rest have been fine and I'm always able to relate to at least one person.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh, one other thing. I have also sat in parking lots and drove away. It's really common. Just try again
Old 09-20-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have been to lots of AA meetings. I know those first few can be intimidating. Would you like to share what you're fearing? Maybe we can help dispel those fears?
Old 09-20-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I sat in the parking lot 3 different times. Finally I got out of my car the fourth time when a woman who was parked beside me walked out of the previous meeting. I asked her if this was the AA meeting and she immediately smiled and walked me in. She gave me her number and introduced me to the meeting leader. I didn't want to talk but I opened up a little when they asked. I was nervous and scared (still am). That was two weeks ago almost to the minute. It was a good experience that you should at least try. Good luck xo. Day 58
Old 09-20-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AAers are the nicest most genuine people you will ever meet. They only want one thing and that is for you to get sober.

I went to meeting 6 days a week for my first year and 6 years down the road I still go to 3.

Without AA I would be dead
Old 09-20-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

for AA has been hit or mix. Lots of crazies.. It is free..you get what you pay for. Doctors AA Theropy and professional help. That has helped me.