Notices

Trying for an AA meeting tomorrow

Old 09-20-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Very common to be nervous the first time. My heart was beating a mile a minute! But I promised my SR class I'd go. There was accountability there. So I pushed myself through those doors. Gotta say, best thing ever. You feel "at home" so to speak. Everyone gets you. I connected with two members pretty quickly. Was very inspirational for me to say the least. Give it a shot. You can't rule it out if you never give it a go.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
for AA has been hit or mix. Lots of crazies.. It is free..you get what you pay for. Doctors AA Theropy and professional help. That has helped me.
I spent a ton of time and money on professionals but it wasn't until I went to AA that I was given the tools necessary to stay sober
Old 09-20-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

for AA has been hit or mix. Lots of crazies.. It is free..you get what you pay for. Doctors AA Theropy and professional help. That has helped me.
I spent a ton of time and money on professionals but it wasn't until I went to AA that I was given the tools necessary to stay sober with a side benefit of love, acceptance and understanding of people with mental challenges
Old 09-20-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I just sat there feeling disgusted with myself. Stupidly, I guess what might be officially labelled "social anxiety" was part of what lead to the poisonous relief of drinking in the first place. So it all spiraled sitting there.

Isn't it ridiculous, when life is so gorgeous, that we do this to ourselves. And then it becomes too late at a certain point.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry it wasn't a positive experience for you.
Is there someone in your life who might go with you to the next meeting?

that may cut down on the social anxiety.

Alternately there are online AA meetings around?

Don't let fear self loathing or anxiety stop you from getting to where you want to be
Old 09-20-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
~sb

we all had that feeling in the beginning! you were in a room full of people who had social anxiety, some still do, but we attend meetings to save our lives
Old 09-20-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SilentSearch View Post
I made it as far as the parking lot :-(
Which does mean I went with intention. Drove 5 miles to the place. Sat in the parking lot. ...
I did the same thing at least a couple of times before making it through the door of a meeting. It's scary!!
If you contact the AA hotline they can get someone local to contact you. If you explain what happened, then they'll probably offer to meet you before the meeting (in a public place for their safety and yours) and then go to the meeting together. It just means you haven't got to walk in the door of a unknown place alone. And once you've been once it isn't so scary to do it alone next time.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind comments. So - I'm here to report back.

I made it as far as the parking lot :-(
Which does mean I went with intention. Drove 5 miles to the place. Sat in the parking lot. There was some pickup truck that arrived just after I did.

I stepped out of my car. The truck was parked with motor idling. Who knows. Maybe it was someone intending to go in and feeling unable like me.

Felt uncomfortable though. Got back in my car, drove home.

Very best to everyone.

pretty much what i did, but add cried all night. couldnt figure out why i couldnt get out and go in.
but that night i did a lot of thinking.
it was fear of the unknown that kept me from going in. fear of life without alcohol would be like.
something helped me get the courage to go back and walk in the next evening:
fear of life with alcohol.
went back, got the big book, did what it said to do to recover while also going to meetings......
and have been sober since and have an awesome life to add. have had all of the promises of the program materialize.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry it wasn't a positive experience for you.
Is there someone in your life who might go with you to the next meeting?

that may cut down on the social anxiety.

Alternately there are online AA meetings around?

Don't let fear self loathing or anxiety stop you from getting to where you want to be
Thanks, Dee. In case you didn't read my earlier post in this thread, I actually didn't even make it into the meeting. So I was describing what I felt sitting in my car, not going in. I plan to try again.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks. It's just gonna be... human. The mix of people once I shove myself through the door to some meeting either will or won't make sense. I have read enough very positive thoughts, both in this thread, and elsewhere, to believe it's well worth going.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Thanks, Dee. In case you didn't read my earlier post in this thread, I actually didn't even make it into the meeting. So I was describing what I felt sitting in my car, not going in. I plan to try again.
I have talked to a ton of people who made it to the parking lot but latter made it through the doors. Trust me you are not the first.

As we say in AA. Progress not perfection
Old 09-21-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks. It's just gonna be... human. The mix of people once I shove myself through the door to some meeting either will or won't make sense. I have read enough very positive thoughts, both in this thread, and elsewhere, to believe it's well worth going.
Also I'll add that if the one you choose doesn't fit try another. There are countless meetings in my area and I went in thinking if this one doesn't work I'll try another.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I will second Arbor's post. Every meeting has its own personality. Even different meetings at the same meeting place can have very different vibes. Some of them will work better for you than others. But all of them will be filled with folks who are just like you.

Wishing you the best today...
Old 09-21-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I did read the earlier post - sorry if I didn't make that clear in my reply

D