Notices

found out my dad takes drugs...

Old 09-18-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

found out my dad takes drugs...

I'm 14, and im parents are splitting up because it isn't working out. I asked my mother why my dad has been having so many mood swings and she said she doesnt know. Yet a month or so ago i seen a tin and opened it and it had an empty baggie yet still had some white powder in and a small straw type of thing... it was obvious it was cocaine so i asked my mother if she knew about it and it all came out. She said when i meet your father (20 years ago) he was big into speed (Amphetamine) and my mother said she had stopped it, yet he still done some cocaine, and still does it now. He's always kept some in the house in his suit pocket... even as me and my brother were kids. I dont know what to do as i can just live with my mother but i want to help him get off it because im really worried... i just dont know what to do. Any suggestions?
Old 09-18-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome nichollb - I'm really glad you joined us.

Unfortunately it's really hard to make someone stop if they don't want to.
I know that sucks and I know you're worried.

Can you take to your mom about your worries? or a teacher/guidance counsellor, doctor or therapist?

these kinds of concerns are best talked about, not hidden away.

you'll find a lot of support here too

D
Old 09-18-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi & Welcome Nichollb I 2nd what D said
Old 09-18-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, Nichollb,

I think it was brave of you to reach out for help. There are many nice people here.

Our friend, Dee74, also had some good ideas about reaching out in your life. Perhaps there is a teacher or guidance counselor in your school who could be helpful.

There is also an organization called Ala-Teen. When you see the website, it says it is for people affected by others and drinking. They are also a good resource for people who are affected by drug use. Here is their website:

http://al-anon.org/for-alateen

This must feel like a sad and frustrating time for you. Please know that there are people in your life who love you. That includes your dad but right now he is fighting some tough issues.

Take good care of yourself and know that you can come here when you need people to be kind and listen to you.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I agree, alateen is a great place to be for you!
Old 09-18-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome nichollb, you've come to a safe place on the Internet where you can get lots of information. It sounds like your father's drug use has been going on for a long time so talking to someone who has similar experience like alateen could really help.

Above the influence is a good site too.

It's good to have you here with us nicholl, I hope you'll keep talking to us, we'd like to hear from you.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Nicollb, and welcome! I'm so glad you reached out to us. I know you must be worried, and it's good to talk to other people who understand.

I second all the suggestions above ... AlaTeen might be helpful for you, and talking with your mom or a counselor if you have one available. And you can always talk to us -- we'd love to hear how you're doing.

You probably know this already, but remember -- the things that are happening aren't your fault at all -- you didn't cause them. You are loved -- your parents are having some difficulties, but you are loved.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Nichollb!!