SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Heavy Hearted.... another loss.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/375840-heavy-hearted-another-loss.html)

FreeOwl 09-18-2015 10:27 AM

Heavy Hearted.... another loss....

Well my friends....

I'm feeling heavy right now. Just learned of the passing of one of the members of my local recovery community. Sounds like it was suicide. I don't have the details yet....

He was a young guy, a father, a good-hearted but troubled soul. Alcohol and drugs had him in their clutches. He was in and out of the program. In and out of the hospital. I saw him in the rooms. I saw him in detox when I worked volunteer speaker sessions there...... I haven't seen him in a while, and just now I saw him - in a photo on facebook - with the announcement that he's gone. Chosen to fly early.....

His name was Nick... and if you're the type to hold a little space of prayer or observation for one of our fallen fellows, I'd be grateful if you'd do so. I feel for his family. I feel for his little daughter. I feel for those of us who knew him and saw that he had a genuine love in his heart and a genuine desire to heal.

I don't know any details yet about what happened or why.... though I suspect he probably strayed from his path of sobriety again.

It's serious business, this addiction stuff.

Even for those of us who may not feel it - this is life or death.....

biminiblue 09-18-2015 10:28 AM

I'm sorry FreeOwl. Really sad.

D122y 09-18-2015 10:30 AM

Prayers.

Anna 09-18-2015 10:31 AM

Prayers, definitely.

I'm sorry for your loss and the reminder of how relentless this disease is.

sleepie 09-18-2015 10:36 AM

So sorry to hear that FreeOwl .

Soberwolf 09-18-2015 10:39 AM

Sorry FO :grouphug:

Mags1 09-18-2015 10:46 AM

My condolences, FreeOwl.x

SoberLeigh 09-18-2015 10:52 AM

Dreadfully sad; truly tragic. I am sorry, FreeOwl.

Prayers for him, his family and you, too.

Leshar 09-18-2015 10:55 AM

That is sad news indeed. I'm sorry for what you feel, contemplating this young man's death.

FreeOwl 09-18-2015 11:40 AM

Just talked to another friend in the program, a guy who'd been working with him at one point and who saw his struggles as well as his potential.

He just reminded me of a truth to accept;

'Ya stick around this program long enough, you're gonna see a LOT of good people die. But you'll also see a lot of miracles.'

And so we grieve the good people's deaths as reminders of the grave importance of this work....

And so we celebrate the miracles as examples of how it can be instead....

May you be sober today and experience the miracle.....

PurpleKnight 09-18-2015 12:13 PM

Very sorry for your loss FreeOwl!! :hug:

Della1968 09-18-2015 01:05 PM

I am sorry.

ccam1973 09-18-2015 01:07 PM

Sorry FO. Prayers to you and to Nick's family.

BringingBackB 09-18-2015 01:08 PM

Sorry to hear about this Freeowl.

It's a reminder that this thing isn't to be messed with.