SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Today is significant (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/375759-today-significant.html)

countrygirl2014 09-17-2015 04:06 AM

Today is significant

Two years ago I REALLY recognized I needed to stop drinking. I could not get more than 2 days sober. Life without alcohol just didn't seem like much fun. I spent the next year as a conscious drinker. Last year, September 17, I put the drink down. 2 weeks later I relapsed....hard. Instead of wallowing around in self pity, I picked myself back up and carried on with sobriety. I will have one year on September 28. My mistake on my first solid attempt was this statement "I will never drink again!!" Hours after making that statement I drank again. So remembering the "one day at a time" rule, I have had my longest run of sobriety. Today, I will not drink. Just for today.

Jennifer

ccam1973 09-17-2015 04:13 AM

Congrats on your upcoming year anniversary Jen! One day at a time. That's the way I live too.

Well done.

Dee74 09-17-2015 04:16 AM

congrats on your upcoming year Jen - you've earned it :)

D

Nowsthetime 09-17-2015 04:56 AM

Almost a year is amazing Jen!!!

I have followed your posts and have seen your story and it has been great to see your understanding grow. You have put in the work and have succeeded after some tough situations.

I congratulate you and send you a hug!!!

startingover02 09-17-2015 04:57 AM

Congratulations. A really inspirational post for those of us who have recently relapsed to hear :)

FeelingGreat 09-17-2015 05:06 AM

Fantastic achievement and it gives hope to those who've slipped up. I agree the 'never again' thing is confronting. I got around it by giving myself a year, and by that time the benefits were so great I kept going.

sva777 09-17-2015 05:07 AM

Great job, it was really hard at first for me as well. I had many relapses until I came to the understanding of one day at a time.

Ruby2 09-17-2015 05:09 AM

Congratulations on your almost one year. You've come a long way and that's terrific. Just for today, I won't drink. That was key for me too.

Keep going!

Meraviglioso 09-17-2015 05:50 AM

This is an amazing post for me to read. Jen, you are someone I have followed and have seen grow and you have been such an inspiration for me. I remember your first posts when you struggled with so many different things and yet you still are here nearing your one year anniversary. Seeing your success gives me hope and strength. I really, really admire you and love reading every single post you make. I am so happy for you and hope to share in your success soon. Congratulations, you SO deserve it!

Soberwolf 09-17-2015 06:05 AM

Congrats Jennifer today is so beautiful don't you think :hug: I'm so happy to be your friend & share your happiness

Amazing job Jennifer sending high 5's hugs flowers and a big bunch of love :hug:

InTheEnd 09-17-2015 06:30 AM

Love hearing this! Congratulations!

PurpleKnight 09-17-2015 10:58 AM

1 Year is fantastic Jen!! :You_Rock_

biminiblue 09-17-2015 11:08 AM

Yay! One of my most useful thoughts in early sobriety was, "I am going to bed sober tonight." Nothing like it, then or now.

Congrats on every day you stay on this side.

SarahB60 09-17-2015 11:33 AM

Congrats on your upcoming one year anniversary!

entropy1964 09-17-2015 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 (Post 5560886)
Two years ago I REALLY recognized I needed to stop drinking. I could not get more than 2 days sober. Life without alcohol just didn't seem like much fun. I spent the next year as a conscious drinker. Last year, September 17, I put the drink down. 2 weeks later I relapsed....hard. Instead of wallowing around in self pity, I picked myself back up and carried on with sobriety. I will have one year on September 28. My mistake on my first solid attempt was this statement "I will never drink again!!" Hours after making that statement I drank again. So remembering the "one day at a time" rule, I have had my longest run of sobriety. Today, I will not drink. Just for today.

Jennifer

Congrats. A year is an awesome achievement. I relate to what you are saying. I had almost 2 years....not only was I never going to drink again but I was recovered. Um, not so much. For me its this moment that counts. For whatever reason the 'one day at a time' motto doesn't resonate with me. But staying in the moment, and enjoying the 'right now' works. Its all semantics but my little brain has to be able to embrace the concept :)

MIRecovery 09-17-2015 04:19 PM

Yup, a day at a time works. No gauentee about tomorrow but there is a very good chance I will go to bed sober tonight

Tomorrow will bring what tomorrow brings but tomorrow is not today.

What is amazing is how those days start adding up. Congrats on almost 365 of them

sleepie 09-17-2015 04:46 PM

One entire year..that is so wonderful, thanks for this great update!

Opivotal 09-17-2015 05:00 PM

Congratulations Countrygirl!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...atulations.gif

countrygirl2014 09-17-2015 05:03 PM

Thank you guys!
Yes I know a few people who "recovered". I don't see them around much. Another term to avoid

Jennifer

Arbor 09-17-2015 05:05 PM

Awesome work Jennifer. I, like a lot of us think too much about never drinking again. I still have a hard time accepting the one day at a time thing. I mean I get it, but I always know deep down what I'm trying to do. I'm glad I read your post. Inspiring.