Notices

Evolution revolution weekender thread Sept 18th until...

Old 09-17-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Love the topic, Ken.
Before I started my journey I could not imagine who I would be without alcohol and I was afraid to find out. I admit that it's still frightening but I'm ready to evolve.

I'm on!
Old 09-17-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I'm on board!

Good Thursday morn y'all!
Old 09-17-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Below is the Photo Finish of this morning in which our 2 alert Contenders got Shotgun in a thrilling beginning! Promptly followed by a gracious Concession!

On this yet-again fine Topic from our Fearless Thread Leaders, I think it wise to re-invent oneself over time.

Now that we're mostly settled in to this new House that I designed and built p/t over ~12 years, it's time to issue some new challenges of a more modest sort.

I take the endless House- and Techno-related Tasks at a more relaxed pace. Listen to new Music. Take a lot more Pictures, obviously. Lightly buff the edges of the Soul that I used to drink away in furious frustration. Only to become more frustrated...

I get out more. Today is Fishing - an excuse to be out in Nature at some new place - and engage in my favorite thing: simply seeing new 'stuff'. Remain curious. Think of a new solution to something when I'm not even trying to think of a solution. Let go quiet the static noise that used to constantly roar in my Head. Zen out in this moment. Not in some past or future moment...

This Howard Jones Song came to mind. We saw Howard solo in a small converted Movie Theater. Fabulous Sound Mix from an engaging Personality. Long before anyone else was doing so, he would scroll his Apple PC to the next Song - chosen on the fly - and out would come all the backing Tracks he'd re-recorded in the Shed behind his U.K. House. He played quite like in the style of this Vid. His Mum sold Tee Shirts & CDs in the Lobby.

'You can see the summit but you can't reach it
It's the last piece of the puzzle but you just can't make it fit
Doctor says you're cured but you still feel the pain
Aspirations in the clouds but your hopes go down the drain'

Give the Lyrics a good listen, and start this new Weekend like no other.

- 'No One Is To Blame' ~ Howard Jones - Live -

- Lyrics -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Photo Finish.jpg (54.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 09-17-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"You can't become what you want to be by staying what you've been."

So true.

Hi Gang. I'm in. Won't be around much again but I'll be thinking of you all.
Throw out some positive vibes that people will understand the urgency to buy my tools this weekend. I have just what they need - CHEAP! I dug out some of my own dust collectors and hoping to unload them as well. That electric planer I needed for one job! That drill press... the list goes on...

Might as well start off with a song...

Oh, I watched Monday night football at a friends place. He offered me a "soda". YES! I know he keeps his fridge full of beer.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This is right up my recovery alley, so to speak. Right before reading this I joined several groups for meditation and mindfulness, with a focus on recovery. I'm also interested in YSR12 yoga...which is recovery yoga. So tonight, first meeting...7:15. I don't have to evolve quickly, I just have to have that sense of moving forward...even if its an inch at a time. Thanks for the great topic.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Recovery yoga! I've never heard of that but it sounds great. I'm sure there's none of it anywhere near me but I'll google anyway, just in case.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

No zen moments for me this morning. I tried ineffectively. I shouted and swore in my car. At my kids. Every morning they fight about who gets out of the car first at school drop off. Every dang morning I hear squabbling and crying. I just lost it today. My back was painful this morning. I'm tired. I'm printing off a calendar for the month and writing their names in as to who gets out first, EVERY DAY for the rest of the school year.

MLD, we'll get there. I have some vestige of hope and faith.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm printing off a calendar for the month and writing their names in as to who gets out first, EVERY DAY for the rest of the school year.

That's a GREAT idea Ruby! Way to be proactive and make adjustments to help you out. Brilliant!
Old 09-17-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

That is a great idea, Ruby. More ideas like that and you'll get the little ones under control in no time! Check your PMs for that chore board I was talking about.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm in like Flynn. It's going to be a busy weekend of homework and getting my house in order. Alcohol would only be a hindrance to my productivity.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Geeze Ruby...what a start to your day. I hope you have a peaceful and mellow day at work. And I hope that back pain goes away-

Last edited by happyandfree; 09-17-2015 at 07:21 AM. Reason: mispell
Old 09-17-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I like it Ruby - a shotgun calender!!!
Old 09-17-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Exactly, Behan!! .
Old 09-17-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh count me IN! I tell you what...I don't know what happened to me. I went through a depression that had a death grip on me. Then after days after long days of posting (whining) here and talking with people about it (SNAP) it lessened and a new Me emerged. This new me seems to be kicking a$$ and taking names.
This quote : "You can't become what you want to be by staying what you've been." Really hit the nail on the head for me. It resonates and resonates.
Thank you!
Old 09-17-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Love the post Ken, thanks. I'm in! Going to google recovery yoga too, curious. Happy thursday all.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Ruby, you're not alone in having to negotiate through those arguments. This morning before I took my kids to school they were getting ready at our house. I have moved my son into my bathroom so he and his little sister don't have to get ready together and fight in the morning.

Low and behold i heard arguing coming from my bathroom. My daughter had made her way in with my son and was brushing her hair and they were fighting about something! I asked why she moved into my bathroom and my 7 year old girl told me... "dad, everything's JUST fine. We DON'T need your help". So I just left and couldn't help but think maybe they just like to argue.

Oh well! I got them off in one piece and am happy I could deal with this morning unclouded by alcohol!

I do like the calendar idea though Ruby!

LB, positive vibes your way today at your sale!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Ccam, my daughter is 7 too. Son just turned 10. I think they like fighting. But the woman who picks them up and watches them after school says they get along and love each other so much. When they aren't home. You're lucky to have more than one bathroom. We've got one. It's going to be more scheduling when they get older.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi all ,
Happy friday those to the east , have a good thursday those in the west . good afternoon / evening us in the middle

Change used to be scary , i'd want it but would hate it happening in my drinking days . Every day was the same for years … I did some things .

With sobriety i find i can instigate change , i positively welcome it , with change comes opportunity , with being sober i have the where with all to be able to make best use of it and keep a positive attitude .
plenty of time to worry and be miserable when we are dead .

Change can be scary but in a good way to challenge us and make us grow , even some of the bad things offer us teaching if we look for it .

TTFN , m
Old 09-17-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I was almost in on page 1, but then my boss walked in and started thowing tasks out like they were free or something.

I am evolving, fo' sho', but the one way I need to evolve more is to be more physically active. I spend way too many hours a day at a desk to live a long life. Need to get out more and move. Walk, lift heavy things, carry stuff.

I will start this weekend!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
It's conflict that makes choice possible.

Do I want to drink or don't I want to drink. What will I choose. How many times must I choose until I stop asking? What is the freaking answer to all this?

"You can't become what you want to be by staying what you've been."

That quote was passed to me by Nonsensical. A suggestion for this weekend's theme. I rather like the topic. Thank you Nons!

How must I evolve? How must I grow to get past the conflict of choice? There is a place when living sober that the choice is still made but it shifts somewhat. Or at least for me it has. From "should I drink?", "should I not drink?" to, "do I want to live like that?" or "do I want to live differently?". I choose differently over and over.

The conflict of choice will never go away. But it can be asked differently. It can grow and evolve.

What will you ask yourself this weekend that will allow you to make a choice to grow?

I think we need to hear some wise words from Mecanix don't you?

*Ring Ring*

“The first bell is the bell of mindfulness, calling to me and you.

It says stop what am i doing right now, take some breaths, feel my body, am I holding it tight and tense? Relax… calm down… life is a journey and not a destination, make the journey as glorious as possible.

The second bell is the freedom bell and I'm ringing it for you to let you know freedom from drink and drugs is available to you, come and hear us calling out to you.”

Welcome to your sober weekend!

Ken

Ken,

Its funny you mention Nonsensical and Mecanix specifically. I do copy and paste many things they post for future reading and guidance.
Thanks for your knowledge and sharing