Old 09-16-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I need a swift kick in the butt!

Hi everyone!

I'm back.

Again.

Because I've been doing some drinking.

I'm done trying to find meaning behind my urges. In my last Hey-I'm-back post I said that I believed that the only reason I had to drink was because I was holding onto my past. Although I feel like I still tend to associate the desire to drink with my past (holding on to my old partying days), everything in my life is going in the direction I want it to. So I definitely don't see a void to fulfill. I love the way my life is going right now, why should I want to turn back?

The other thing is most times I drink I don't drink enough to be really hungover the next day. I stop myself, but still wake up disappointed with myself for going near the stuff at all.

The only logical solution I can think of is that I need to soldier up, buckle down, and just resist the urges, and not worry about any deeper meaning behind them. I need to stop backing down like a coward everytime that AV runs its mouth inside my head.

I just need to not drink. Ever. Period.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back MNS. I found that it was impossible for me to "outthink" my addiction too. I also gave up on trying to find out "why" I was alcoholic...because in a roundabout way I wanted to know "why" in the hope that I could then fix the problem and return to drinking like a regular person.

The logical solution you suggest was what finally worked for me too. Accepting that I was an alcoholic and doing everything in my power to move forward without alcohol. I also had to accept that simply "not drinking" is not the solution - it's certainly part of it...but I needed to find healthy ways to deal with life. Because there will be bad days and stress and all the things that we ran away to a bottle and hid from, we now need to deal with them upfront.

It's definitely worth the effort though, I hope you can find a way to move forward and do stick around here for support.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

mns,
have you checked out the AVRT and Rational Recovery threads in the "secular connections" forum? that might be right up your alley. read up on the Big Plan. the entire concept there is to make up your mind to never ever drink again and then to never change your mind.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Indeed Scott! I may even start an accountability thread for myself to really stay focused. But I actually took a major step in reducing the amount of stress in my schedule. Because I am now making enough money doing what I love, I handed in my resignation from my last night shift job I've worked since high school/college. So I now can work on a normal schedule all week and not feel like I'm playing catchup on sleep all the time. I already feel like a huge poundage has been lifted from my shoulders!

Fini, a number if people have suggested that to me. I think I'm finally gonna give those a read. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mns, The most important thing is that you are BACK. Some never make it back because they got tired of trying. This is a heavyweight bout.....don't give up. Beat that "AV" back to it's corner and keep it there. It will always be in the ring , just keep it on the ropes. I convinced myself that I am "allergic" to alcohol. If I was allergic to bee stings I surely wouldn't want to be around bees! Best Wishes..
Old 09-16-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back, mns; it's great to see you; I have missed your wisdom and perspective.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mns, I can think of few if any benefits of drinking but that never stopped me. Those opioid receptors in my brain sure as anything resulted in my craving alcohol. Once I finally accepted that, taking drinking off the table and out of my life became the obvious decision.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Finding meaning behind your urges is a great place to start. Knowing your triggers...and WHY you feel the urge to drink. Is it boredom, loneliness, stress, pain, grief, wanting to escape,wanting to feel numb. Then having a plan in place when those triggers come up. Seems they can pop up at any time. Don't give up. Being sober is having serenity in your life.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thanks BBQBOY! And don't worry. I may keep slipping up but I sure as hell am never giving up.

Thank you so much for the kind words SoberLeigh!

I agree Saskia, drinking is doing nothing to further my career or my life. That's why I'm going to just accept that urges are going to come up here and my only two choices will be to give in or stand firm.

Thank you teatreeoil! I have come to find that there are no specific triggers for me. I rewound the point that I drank again over and over and I cannot connect the dots. Things will be going great and all of the sudden that old AV is whispering in my ear again. I could say stress, but avoiding stress as a trigger is impossible if I want to acheive anything in life. And I've become much better at dealing with it. But don't worry, giving up has never been an option for me, not with sobriety and not in life.

I'm going to give AVRT and Rational Recovery a read.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I just( choose to ) need to not drink. Ever(Today)Period(Comma)

I found this simpler and easier after trying many, many times.............
Old 09-16-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back Mns!!
Old 09-16-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back mns. Sounds like you're ready to fight your urges. You can do it.

Lean on us when you you need!
Old 09-16-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

OK...
Old 09-16-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's so good to see you brother Im really glad your bk with us

http://youtu.be/mgmVOuLgFB0
Old 09-16-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
Drinking is doing nothing to further my career or my life. That's why I'm going to just accept that urges are going to come up here and my only two choices will be to give in or stand firm.

I'm going to give AVRT and Rational Recovery a read.
MNS, you seem to have a good understanding of this. Identify the urges as nothing more than a waste, accept that they will come and go all by themselves, and then get busy. Create something that will give you satisfaction and pride. If you are like me, satisfaction and pride in self were things I had forfeited in order to drink a long time ago.

Here is a link for you. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 09-16-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to see you mns.

I never knew specifically why I drank either. Things would be going good & then out of the blue I'd start up again. Self sabotage that makes no sense. It was so good to finally get free and stop imagining that it could ever be fun again. You can do it.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thanks everyone it is good to be back and giving up has never been something I'm good at so I will get this down eventually!
Old 09-16-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
I just( choose to ) need to not drink. Ever(Today)Period(Comma)

I found this simpler and easier after trying many, many times.............
I love this. Very good point.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
It's so good to see you brother Im really glad your bk with us

http://youtu.be/mgmVOuLgFB0
Soberwolf that is so awesome you posted that. That is one of my favorite YouTube channels!
Old 09-16-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back mns

D