Notices

My first post

Old 09-21-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Well I did it! Got through my first weekend and NO DRINK! Thanks to suggestions I kept myself busy and kept away from temptations. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have a supportive wife and friends. They've all told me they won't drop in front of me because they would think that would be disrespectful. Thanks again to all the support.
Sobriety here I come!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Oh one more thing. I've been smoking like a chimney. Now I'm feeling like it may be something I should think about stopping. I have been considering the e cig. Does anyone have any thoughts? Or am I taking too much on?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi Slugger! Congrats on getting through the weekend! I struggled this weekend myself, but made it through unscathed and with no regrets. :-) Funny you should mention the e-cig. I quit smoking July 6th and haven't looked back with NO craving to smoke whatsoever. I vape now instead. My husband joined me about a month later when he saw how successful I am. He smoked over a pack a day and doesn't want cigarettes now either. He's still a heavy drinker. If you decide to vape instead, do it right. Don't get the cheap things from a tobacco store. Go to an actual vape store, they're everywhere. I got an Eleaf iStick mod (battery) with an Aspire Nautilus tank (where the fluid goes). My setup cost me almost $100, but I have saved soooo much on packs of smokes. The only things you have to buy on a regular basis are the liquid and coils which are cheap. The liquid comes in a million flavors and it's fun to try different ones. I no longer have a racing heart and my lungs are clear. Our house smells wonderful and there are no dirty ashtrays, cig butts, lighters, or any clutter that goes with smoking. Vaping is fairly new and the health risks, while significantly less, are still relatively unknown, so I suggest you do some independent research before deciding to switch. You can PM me if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help!
Old 09-21-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Congrats and good job on making it through the weekend Slugger. Fantastic job.

I don't have any suggestions on e cig though. I quit smoking a few years before I quit drinking.

Great job over the weekend!
Old 09-21-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Excellent. Wasn't so bad was it?
Old 09-21-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
Oh one more thing. I've been smoking like a chimney. Now I'm feeling like it may be something I should think about stopping. I have been considering the e cig. Does anyone have any thoughts? Or am I taking too much on?
I quit smoking over 4 years ago with the e-cigarette. I have the blessing of my primary doc and pulmonologist. Still use it. I helped several of my friends quit with the use of the e-cigarette. If you decide that's the way to go, PM me and I'll be glad to help.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by CaliButterfly View Post
Hi Slugger! Congrats on getting through the weekend! I struggled this weekend myself, but made it through unscathed and with no regrets. :-) Funny you should mention the e-cig. I quit smoking July 6th and haven't looked back with NO craving to smoke whatsoever. I vape now instead. My husband joined me about a month later when he saw how successful I am. He smoked over a pack a day and doesn't want cigarettes now either. He's still a heavy drinker. If you decide to vape instead, do it right. Don't get the cheap things from a tobacco store. Go to an actual vape store, they're everywhere. I got an Eleaf iStick mod (battery) with an Aspire Nautilus tank (where the fluid goes). My setup cost me almost $100, but I have saved soooo much on packs of smokes. The only things you have to buy on a regular basis are the liquid and coils which are cheap. The liquid comes in a million flavors and it's fun to try different ones. I no longer have a racing heart and my lungs are clear. Our house smells wonderful and there are no dirty ashtrays, cig butts, lighters, or any clutter that goes with smoking. Vaping is fairly new and the health risks, while significantly less, are still relatively unknown, so I suggest you do some independent research before deciding to switch. You can PM me if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help!
I agree with you Cali regarding the e-cigarette.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I will look into both and see what suits me.
To answer thomas11. No. It wasn't that bad. Keeping myself busy really helped. Plus the support.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I haven't posted on a while. Felt like I needed toto get back on track. I did slip up twice. When I slip up its only when I travel. I need to refocus and remind myself why I am not drinks big.
Why would I put myself through the pain and regret the following day? It doesn't make sense but yet I did it. Anyone travel for work? Would you share with me what you go to stay away from the drink.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Help!! Haven't posted in a while. I'm finding myself getting worse. I travel for my job. When I travel I tend to drink. When I'm at home I don't. I have to stop!! I feel like I'm loosing the battle. Not sure what to do. I'm fine when I don't travel. But it can't keep happening.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi Slugger,

Are you traveling right now? Does work require a lot of travel? Just a few thoughts: avoid the free happy hours offered, research something to go see in the town you are traveling to in advance. Perhaps research a list of AA meetings or SMART meetings in that area to attend while you are there. Request that your mini bar be removed, or that your room not have one prior to arrival. There are lots of recovery books, tuck one into your suitcase each time you travel. Log into SR. Try logging in daily for a while, especially if you feel like you may drink.

You can do this!!!

❤️ Delilah
Old 04-01-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Do your best

Having a plan is vital Slugger

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 04-01-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I travel for my job too. I have to tell people I am not going to the bar as soon as they ask. I take a walk from the hotel and eat in places that don't serve alcohol. I read books or watch the TV shows I don't get at home. I work out.

Rewire your thinking. There are meetings in most towns; grab a cab and go instead of hanging at the bar.
Good luck to you!