Notices

Family member diagnosed with brain cancer

Old 09-13-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Family member diagnosed with brain cancer

Yesterday morning my mom received a call from my sister, my sisters mother/,my godmother had stopped being able to talk or to form sentences. They took her to the hospital and they found two lesions on her brain. They operated on the beginner one and it turned out to an aggressive malignant tumour called glioma. The survival rates after diagnosis are 12-17 months.

This woman was like a second mother to me and helped raise me, I lived in the same house with her for ten years. The family is devastated, she was the picture or health and only 62, yesterday in the hospital she didn't recognize her own children. I'm just so sad, it's not fair.

Everyone was drinking
Ast night and I really wanted to, so badly. Couldn't sleep I was up till 5 a, crying. I'm so sad
Old 09-13-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Very sorry to hear that sober life. My thoughts to you and your family for strength in difficult times.

Not drinking was the correct choice last night, you are much better prepared to deal with this sober vs. drunk. And imagine how much worse you would have felt today. Be strong and stay sober, it is the best for all involved, especially you.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

I'm so sorry SL.....glad you didn't drink. Being there for her sober will be a gift to both her & for you & its OK to let the tears flow. ((Hugs to you))
Old 09-13-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry, soberlife123. Please honor her and yourself by not drinking through this. It will actually be easier without drinking. I've lost all of my family members, some when I was drinking and some when I was in an 18 year period of sobriety. Sobriety is far better for dealing with intense emotion.

You'll get through this. I know it's shocking, but you will get through this.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

I am so sorry Soberlife for your devastating news. Wishing you strength and courage.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So sorry soberlife...
Keeping you in my thoughts.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And dr google is not much of a help oh man....we're going to see her in a few hours again, I could barely sleep and my mental/emotional state is a mess.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thinking of you soberlife. Stay strong.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry for the news. I wish her and the family the best.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very sorry to hear this news. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry soberlife - this must be very stressful for you.

I'm very proud for you tho - resisting that call to drink is a biggie, but for drinkers like us, it's absolutely the right thing to do..

Lean on us and all the other support you have, You've nom need to do this alone.

Prayers and best wishes for you, your family, and your godmother.

D
Old 09-13-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I'm so sorry. It's true there is no cure for this type of cancer; my father died of it at 63 years. I wish I hadn't been drinking while going through all that. It didn't help. Please stay strong for her and your family.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sober Life: My heart goes out to you in your grief and suffering. Drinking would only make it worse, for drink is a depressant. If you are suffering badly, cannot sleep, etc. I suggest you consult a physician but make sure that any prescription is carefully monitored. Time will heal some of the sorrow. I've lost everyone in my family, no longer have any mom, dad, grandparents, cousins. In my family I am alone. But not alone, because I have so many kind friends here on this website. Do keep posting. We are here. We too have suffered, lost, are lonely, sad yet happy that we can be together. It will soon be Autumn here and in one glorious shout of triumph the leaves will turn all colors and there will be winter and another Spring, bringing flowers out of the dead land.

W.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry that you and your family are going through this difficult time. Of course, the best thing you can do for yourself, your family and your godmother is to stay sober and be present.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're in pain from this. My father has been in and out of the hospital lately for his heart and it's so sad but honestly, I'm so glad I went through the initial pain sober. Drinking wouldn't help. Our thoughts are with you.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My thoughts are with you Soberlife!!
Old 09-14-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

If you ever want to talk or anything were all here for you Soberlife & you can send a pm 24/7

I too am very sorry for the sad news

You done the right thing not drinking bud
Old 09-14-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Im so sorry to hear your news.

My aunt died of cancer which was very difficult for all of us, as she died at age 42 with two young children. It still pains me to this day to see her kids not being able to grow up with her.

It really sucks. But dealing with it sober is the right thing to do. Im glad you kept yourself in a right state of mind and decided not to drink. That is the right move, I wish you the best of luck in the coming months. They will be tough, but they will be much tougher while drinking.