Notices

I drink

Old 09-16-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I meditate (those Oprah/Deepak video). I have heard that meditative yoga can be helpful.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hey guy's , I was just reading over the thread.. What helped me was not to think about never drinking again because that just seemed ridiculous to me. So I would think about a day at a time.. sometimes just an hour at a time.. I would think.. I can have a drink right now if I want to... I just don't want to right this minute.. maybe later.. then maybe a half hour would go by and I'd think.. well I could if I wanted to.. I just don't want to right now.. maybe in a hour after I've done.. what ever.. That helped me so much to realize the choice is always mine.. when ever and where ever I choose.... I just don't want to right now.

Another thing I would do is play the whole scenario in my mind... I knew ahead of time about how it would go.. and I would ask myself. .Is the few hours of drinking really going to be worth all the self disgust and anxiety it is going to cause just to have those few drinks... really..... do you really just have to have that stupid stuff.. come on girl..

That would help me too.... Just suggestions.. hope you can use em..
Old 09-16-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

"One Day at a Time" is the slogan..
Me? Sometimes it was "One Minute at a Time".
Do what you can handle, but DO it. You'll find those minutes will increase and those days will chalk up. Do anything you can do (besides taking a drink of alcohol or whatever your preference may be) to do something other than fulfill the craving and the alcoholic voice that screams at you.
Don't listen to the negative things you have told yourself during your addiction/disease. Give yourself a chance to be the person you are supposed to be.
Reach out! There's a lot of good people on SR. They will try to help you get yourself together. If someone isn't available there's a bunch more..Keep reaching out!
"Nobody said it would be easy, they said it would be worth it." (I keep this in mind)
Also I remember "People won't be like me because they don't have a heart like mine. (This helps me not have expectations that lead me to have disappointments). Hope anything anyone here has offered helps, even just a little bit!
Wish you all the best!
Old 09-16-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Don't give up! You're inspiring to me who is currently still using!

You can do this!
Old 09-16-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Arbor, sounds like its been quite the tug of war with alcohol. Certainly not unusual, many of us have been there or are there now. Glad you have additional support and taking it a day at a time. We believe in you. I wish you the best.
Thanks Thomas. That's exactly what it's been like for the last two years since I noticed a problem. A tug of war. I've had great stints of sobriety. The last one being my longest of nine months, but I always seem to eventually return. It's like make a choice already Arbor! But that's what addiction is all about. It's very odd to feel that way when I know in my heart it's not what I even want out of life.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I am going to enjoy watching the rest of your journey, Arbor; it is going to be amazing.
Thanks Leigh. Your a real inspiration to me.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
I'm so glad you let your Mum know , that's a huge move. Believe me , you can do this all that lays ahead is grief sadness & feelings of failure . The sooner you stop the healthier your body & brain and logical thinking will be. None of us drinkers can think normally or rationally with a toxic brain. , I'm so proud of you for confiding in Mum . That took a lot of courage . You deserve peace xxxx :-)
Thanks for the support Snoozy! You Aussies are so sweet!