Notices

slipped up...

Old 09-15-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you feel AA's not working for you and you're reluctant to do the steps for whatever reason, there's no need to slack off on your recovery...

why not check out other things like SMART Recovery, LifeRing, Rational Recovery etc ?

D
Old 09-15-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think I feel that if I accept AA, then I am a failure because I could not figure this out on my own. Which I guess is kind of dumb because here I am on this site. But this site doesnt have faces, I know there are people on the "other end" but I guess AA just seems all too real. I think I need to leave that feeling behind me and take steps forward in order to put my feet on more solid ground. Rely on others more, more support, maybe that face to face interaction is what I need to do.

Today is a weird day; weird thoughts, weird feelings, I just cant get my head around a lot of things today. Might just be one of those days. I guess I will plan on attending again Friday evening once my wife gets back into town because I dont have anywhere else to send the kiddos to...
Old 09-15-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Don't over think or overdo it Jryan lean on us bud
Old 09-16-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I read a lot about AVRT last night. I think I like it. So I am going through all those steps slowly and trying to really comprehend each one.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I actually went through the crash course 3 or 4 times just to absorb what it was trying to teach... lol It's different, that's for sure. Hope it helps if AA isn't your cup of tea. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I found that when I first went to AA I didn't like it either. Once I deeply accepted the fact that I am an alcohol addict, my view of AA changed for the positive. I no longer attend but would not hesitate if I need to. I've had so many things wrong with me both physically and mentally that I could spend most of my time attending support groups of various kinds. I now pick and choose based on what I need at the moment!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Many people here have found success through AVRT.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
... Im not sure how people will react if I tell them my less than average story.

You don't have to tell your story in a meeting - there are plenty of folk at the meetings I go to who save sharing their personal stories for their sponsor. I share, but on a day-to-day recovery level. My drunken indiscretions and fiascos I saved for my inventory and my closest AA friends. Maybe try some different meetings if you aren't meeting people you relate to at the ones you have tried.

Perhaps while you're waiting to get to a meeting you could try listening to some of the speaker recordings to get your mind firmly in a safe place. There are some great ones on Youtube, and also on this free site..

5500+ AA Speaker Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly!
Old 09-16-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I know I dont have to share and havent yet. Its just my AV probably telling me that Im not like that. Thats not me. Your problems are nothing compared to real alcoholics. Youre not in the same class as them...

But I know I could very well end up like that... It could be me.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've been battling this for over a year here J...you're as 'real' as anyone else here, y'know?

I think you need to offer your AV a big tall glass of shut the heck up...

D
Old 09-16-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by breath View Post
AA is great if you keep it in a perspective that works for you. So many reject it because they take an "all or nothing" approach, and with that perspective towards anything - being absolute, just doesn't work.
This isn't the reason why I "reject" it. It would seem anyone wishing to abstain from alcohol would require an all or nothing perspective.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have to agree with dcg. AA isn't the only way to stay sober, and rejecting it isn't avoiding the problem. The AVRT technique is the exact opposite. Instead of languishing in the eternal recovery mode and giving up control to a higher power, it practices taking responsibility for oneself and committing to never drink again. I have the utmost respect for AA and have no criticism for anyone that it works for, but it doesn't work for everyone. Some people need the "all or nothing" approach because it doesn't leave any room for relapse. And that's what we are all trying to achieve.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You've been battling this for over a year here J...you're as 'real' as anyone else here, y'know?

I think you need to offer your AV a big tall glass of shut the heck up...

D
This times a thousand billion Jryan you can do this were with you bud
Old 09-17-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yesterday the AVRT method worked really well for me. I wanted to drink, but I said no and that was that. I am in control. I dont need/want to drink.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Keep that control, jryan. Always remember who is in charge.

Good job.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Great job on controlling your AV Jryan! Our recovery paths and patterns are as different as we are individuals.

Bottom line is find what works for you, what ever helps you not drink today... go with it.

I found SR was what I needed. Lean on us as much as you need.

You can do this!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yes, there's nothing more satisfying than telling your AV to shut the hell up and it goes away, pouting... lol SR is also a wonderful place for support and I am grateful that you all are here sharing, venting, and giving kind words of encouragement.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yes it was satisfying. It was nice because that was truly it. Just a flat out no.

Im having a little bit of trouble falling asleep because im not passing out from alcohol. But even with that not sleeping well, I am not usually as tired as I normally would be.

In fact, and I mentioned this in another thread, that I actually had breakfast with my kids this morning before work. Whereas had I been drinking, I would have slept to the last moment, rushed to get a shower, dressed and run out the door for work just briefly saying hi to them...
Old 09-17-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Do your best

#Awesome