Notices

New round these parts

Old 09-11-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New round these parts

Hello all, I know I have to clean up my act. I have tried and failed several times. Each time I have learned more about myself and situation. I think I can really do it. What I am concerned about is not having a steady go to plan. I know my own will power and day to day life will only get me so far. Would like to hear how others have dealt with this issue. I am fine for now, but like I said I am worried I can only carry myself so far.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Flaco - welcome

support really helps...and yeah, so does a decent plan

there are some great ideas in this thread on plans, recovery groups, and dealing with cravings:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

read around and post as much as you like.

There's a Class of September support thread too - check it out
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2015-a-19.html
Old 09-11-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, flaco. A combination of active participation here on SR and some face-to-face recovery help in AA meetings has been a good combination for me so far. Hope you'll become a regular participant here.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Flaco,

Welcome! I'm only using SR as my support, but I do have a pretty thorough plan and have changed a lot in my life and myself in order to support my sobriety. I hope you figure out what you need for your recovery, and I hope to see you around the site.

Be well!

Delfin
Old 09-12-2015, 02:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome flaco! You are really on the right path by admitting that sheer willpower will only take you so far and that you need to put together a plan. This is really smart of you and shows a true desire to make this work.
A plan is different for everyone. It includes sources of support, ideas and techniques to handle cravings or sticky situations and changes to your day to day life.
I won't bore you with my entire plan, but some examples from my plan are:

-driving a different route to get into town so I don't pass by my favorite bar
-exercise every single day
-no alcohol allowed in my house day to day, the only exception being for a dinner party where my boyfriend is present and every last bottle removed at the end of the party
-nightly meditation on what sobriety is giving me
-actively participating and attending all appointments at the outpatient rehab center
Old 09-12-2015, 02:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Flaco
Old 09-12-2015, 03:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi.

Many a positive plan will work WHEN we work it every day. Mine has worked for a lot of years and has for many millions, again when we work it.

Most working plans involve being honest with ourself about our drinking and accepting the fact we can no longer drink alcohol in safety one day at a time in a row in safety.

Next comes the ACTION of work and change to recover and be the person want in a healthy manner.

BE WELL
Old 09-12-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Quiting for me while very unpleasant was never much of a problem. Staying quit proved to be darn near impossible.

Things got really bad and I knew alcohol was killing everything in my life including me. As a last resort I decided to give AA a real shot. I got a sponsor, went to a ton of meetings, and made the necessary changes in my life.

Now a few years down the road I can see where I failed before was I thought I could do it on my own, I thought all I had to do was quit drinking. Then one day there was a loud popping sound when my head came out of my a$$ and I started doing what people with long term sobriety did.

Got to go or I will be late for my Saturday AA Meeting
Old 09-12-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies. It touches me that there are so many people out there wiling to help me out. Today I made it another 24. Today was day 4 for me. I had so much energy at work today which was nice. I have gotten home and ate and am unwinding by posting here. I am tired and can feel the aches in my body come back. I am worried not that I will go back to drinking but, I might slump into depression or a messed up head space. For me It has been difficult to stay level headed for an extended period. That is my own issue though. I just have to work at it day to day and hour to hour to keep myself happy. That's how my day went and my current feelings. Thank you for listening.

Anyway, I have gotten a lot of ideas and definitely a lot of starting points to get a plan together. What it looks like now is keep a decent mindset to get me through the tough times, some sort of daily exercise, face to face meetings, keep up on this forum, meditation with a notebook, aaaand I'm not sure if I am missing anything else. I would like to start a lot of this up and I know slow and steady wins the race. So again I plan on incorporating a lot of what I see here into my life. It just feels nice to type this all out.

Sorry for all the text

tl;dr I had a good day, plan on keeping it up, planning helps
Old 09-12-2015, 11:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It is probably just me but this idea of a plan for sobriety seems a bit beyond my ability back then. When an architect makes a plan for a house he first has to imagine what it will be like. And that was my problem. I was in a place where I could not imagine life with or without alcohol.

What would I be aiming to achieve? what would it feel like? how would I build it? How long would it take? Would I enjoy it? (no, going by past experience of sobriety) What would life be like?

I couldn't answer any of these questions because I had no experience on which to base an answer. In the end I went by feeling. That is to say I saw others who I felt had found a good way out, and I followed in their footsteps, using their plan. And eventually I found the answers to those questions. I had no answers of my own.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Gottalife- I agree. I have been there in my life where I couldn't imagine living without altering my consciousness. I have seen people live through sobriety and truly live and love their life. They are great influences on me. I also know this is the best way to live my life. Now, early on, I feel like I am where I should be. It feels like I am starting a new area of my life. Just trying to figure things out. Addressing all the negative feelings I have. Then understanding. I am all over the place with my posts but I am just typing out how I feel and trying to put one foot in front of the other.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Flaco!!