Notices

Wine booth, really?

Old 09-11-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wine booth, really?

I'm volunteering for my daughter's school today and I have just received the email that I have been assigned to the wine booth...

I will not drink tonight especially since I will be with school people but geez... What's this called? Irony? Life testing me?

It's no biggie, I feel certain I will be ok and I'll be on here the whole time just to peek every once in a while.

The other thing is that I hung out with another mother from the school and she mentioned hanging and having some wine. I didn't respond. It's a new friend and I'm not sure how to handle it yet. I want to fit in with the moms and I want them to know me for me. I guess once we get to know each other better I'll be able to let them know that I don't drink. Lays just mentioned it in conversation and I didn't feel like jumping on it.

So wine booth, here I come. Remind me of my bartending days... My worst drinking days... Yuck!

I feel good. All of you will be with me.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well you sound like you're confident. That is good. I was good at not drinking in front of people (well not always) but when I got home alone it was game on. I guess just watch for any switches this might flip for later. Romancing the drink can be dangerous over time.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you are volunteering it would be perfectly acceptable to tell them you'd prefer another assignment because you don't drink. Remember you just drank last weekend and you need to be very careful in early sobriety. At least have a plan to leave if things are too overwhelming.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd have to agree with Scott. You're doing them a favor, reassignment shouldn't be impossible. Say the smell of wine gives you a headache. Sitting with that- the smell, watching others drink- just seems like something you shouldn't have to put yourself through right now.
Good luck whatever you end up doing!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with ScottFromWI. But I would add that this is a total setup. The drinking voice is telling you this is perfectly fine. It is not fine. It is necessary to protect your recovery. Ditch the booth; you are worth it.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I see nothing wrong with asking to be reassigned but also understand not wanting to draw attention to yourself. Good luck to you either way!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree with Della - it's an awkward situation. Good idea to check in periodically. Glad you are here with us, nowsthetime.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I moved to my retirement home, I was about 5 months sober. I knew that people often brought wine for dinner and decided to simply say "No thanks, I don't drink" when offered. It was at first truly amazing to me that everyone treated it matter-of-factly and didn't push me or ask questions.

I found that making that very simple statement with no elaboration made me feel stronger about being sober. I still mostly skip cocktail parties though do go for special occasions. This works well for me. I don't think I could have done this in early sobriety.

I found that It's no big deal to people who are not alcoholics. It's those of us who are that get uncomfortable.

You could ask for a different volunteer assignment without even mentioning alcohol.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Be careful, I rarely dink in front of others, but I'm not sure I wouldn't race home later and start on the wine.
But I get that it feels weird to ask to be reassigned.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Yikes on week in being sober as Scott says , that's pretty early . It took me months to be around it again . Then I could only handle it for about an hour . Being right up front into picking it up & pouring it for people . If that's the case no way I would put myself in that situation . I wish you strength in going forward in what ever way you see fit
Old 09-11-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You guys are right.

I will feel it out when I get there and see if there's something else I can do. I'm driving out of town with my daughter right after so I'm definitely not drinking. I'm worried that last week what happened was that I made it through Fri but then messed up on Sat. There no booze at my property so I will not be drinking this weekend. I swear that I felt like crap for several days after I drank.

I'm staying close.

To clarify, before last Saturday I had 4 months and before that 13 months... So I have some experience...
Old 09-11-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Nowsthetime Oh that's wonderful news that you have built up those sober muscles !! I didn't know you had a box full of useful tools , I prefer the Hammer ( smash that Beast ) & or the get away fast as you can plan
Old 09-11-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would have never tried this when I started my journey but today I feel confident but cautious. My problem isn't quitting, it's staying quit. The 2 times I drank I moderated and it wasn't even worth it. And I felt like crap (not what I'm used to now, waking up feeling great). I'm so glad I posted this. Talking it out helps me work through it.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Nowsthetime
Old 09-11-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What an awkward situation. Haha. Just make sure you think ahead. You know this won't trigger you to drink right there in front of all the other parents but could it be a trigger when you get home and are alone and any point in the future?
As others have said this would be an easy one to get out of if you feel it might jeopardize your sobriety.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

When I lost my first 8 months . As you say " It wasn't worth it , not at all " More like Craziness' that your AV tells you !! Most of the time if you have a strong follow though plan it helps a lot . Instead of going in blindly , just saying Oh I got this .
Old 09-11-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good job building your accountability muscles by talking this out here. Lots of good advice already been given so I'll just say hope you can check in when it's done, let us know you're OK. Wishing you the best today...
Old 09-11-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Never put your Sobriety at risk, that's the priority, if you need to change up the volunteering assignment then make it happen!!

Keep pushing through!!
Old 09-11-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Nowsthe time,

Like saskia said: "say "No thanks, I don't drink" when offered. It was at first truly amazing to me that everyone treated it matter-of-factly and didn't push me or ask questions.

I found that It's no big deal to people who are not alcoholics. It's those of us who are that get uncomfortable."

Speaking from the non-alcoholic side - I would not think anything of it; to me it is no different from "I don't smoke", "I don't run", or "I don't eat shellfish" - they are all just simple statements of personal preference.

However, if you are uncomfortable (understandable), I would asked to be reassigned.

Jim
Old 09-11-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I did it! And I even told one of the parents that I don't drink and it was no biggie. Funny thing is that my only other option was the beer booth I'm glad I picked the first shift. Now I volunteered and got out of there way before it started to get nutty.

Thanks friends.