SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Let's share Weekender Sept 11 until... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/375315-lets-share-weekender-sept-11-until.html)

biminiblue 09-10-2015 08:46 AM

Thx, BigS.

My family was weird, too. They were frugal to a fault so they'd buy stuff for me at thrift stores and on sale. No one loves a thrift store more than me, but I got tired of throwing away table-cloths with backgammon gameboard print and old electronic Christmas decorations that play "Jingle Bells" incessantly, and not well. Sweatshirts from 20 year old Air Fairs.

I'm with you, if I want it/need it I'll buy it. Don't help me out - it's gonna get thrown out. For a while, my friends were buying me penguins. Now, I like penguins and I bought a cool penguin pottery jar with a cork stopper. Three inches tall, not intrusive... Suddenly everyone decided they would build me a penguin collection. I felt guilty not displaying them, then one day I said, "Eff it, I'm getting rid of all of them except that little jar I bought myself." No one wants penguins as a decorating theme.

Weasel1966 09-10-2015 08:50 AM

I think Sao might take up with that comment BIM! :lmao

I agree don't spend money on me. Let me pick it out. Luckily I have zero people interested in giving me things so I have no need to say no thank you.

Now cash donations are always accepted!

:D

biminiblue 09-10-2015 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 (Post 5550961)
I think Sao might take up with that comment BIM! :lmao

I like penguins. Just not the ones you have to dust. :wink3: They were getting that creepy old-lady doll collection vibe.

Weasel1966 09-10-2015 08:55 AM

Is Trach back from vacation yet? I don't think so.... I am sure he will pop up!!!

LB has been laying low on the board but I will pass along he is doing well for those who notice these things.

I miss Sol.... I can never remember the exact spelling but you know who I mean.

People come and go but that's good. Live sober. We are always here for you if you return or need a good healthy sober weekender visit.

K

brynn 09-10-2015 09:27 AM

I was wondering where Brain was. Glad to hear he's ok.

Ok, I admit it...I love gifts. I love giving gifts especially....but I like receiving them too. Dusting figurines....not so much.

Behan 09-10-2015 09:38 AM

Do you know what I like now as a gift? All the cheesy stuff you used to pick up when you were young for older folks, like slippers, bathrobes, and wallets, and various scents. I just love that stuff now!!!

And what I don't like now? Gadgets. I detached myself for a number of years from the word of technology. Now when I am exposed to gadgets, I recoil in frustration and fear because I don't understand them!! I have no idea how to use my phone. I only found out my TV has a HDMI connection the other day. Chromecast, i phone, i pad - all of these things are alien to me!!!!

B

Weasel1966 09-10-2015 09:44 AM

Ha ha .... And I live in a land of zeros and ones!

(That is binary code Mr. Behan)

ccam1973 09-10-2015 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 (Post 5551020)
Ha ha .... And I live in a land of zeros and ones!

(That is binary code Mr. Behan)

Haha. My work revolves around Excel so I know the land of zeros and ones painfully well!

Behan 09-10-2015 09:51 AM

Now, I do understand binary, MS dos, bios, Window's 95, ZX spectrum's, BBC micro computer, and the fancy Commodore 64!!

Oh dear God, have I become a hipster?

How to Be a Hipster (with Pictures) - wikiHow

:)

B

Ruby2 09-10-2015 09:58 AM

Holy cow! Lots to catch up on.

Casey, it's good to see you. When I got away from the things that kept me sober, I found myself in trouble. Stick with us.

I like gifts, I like buying gifts. But more for kids than adults. I've been giving live plants to relatives for gifts lately. Sharing verbally is still hard although I talk a lot. Chatty. That's something I want to work on. Quality over quantity.

Behan, have a safe trip. Sao, will you get snow for the sled?

Melina 09-10-2015 10:06 AM

I'm in, guys!

I'm spending my first weekend in the triple digits with you fine folks! 102 days today!!

Also, I just wanted to say thank you for last weekend's thread. I didn't comment once, but I read it a few times a day. I was in NYC with my family.. We were very busy running around seeing and eating everything. It was wonderful.

It made me feel so good at night when I would skip the after dinner bar they were night capping at to go back to the hotel and read about the Weekender's adventures and musings.

My sister told me how proud she was of me for quitting drinking and that she knows how hard it must have been. That was honestly the best moment of the trip. They had several thoughtful questions and comments.

I just wanted to say thank you. I needed to read the weekenders thread to center myself and think of everyone's path on the sober journey. It helped me a lot.

Let's have a great weekend guys! It just started raining in Chicago so we have a clean slate here for the weekend, Mother Earth is getting her shower on :)

Ruby2 09-10-2015 10:16 AM

Good to see you Melina. You're in a different part of the city from me because the sun's still shining and no rain here yet. Glad I have my umbrella. Congratulations on 102 days!

MesaMan 09-10-2015 10:21 AM

Yo Miscreants ~

Intermittently screwin' around with Cellular 'stuff' got me a usable Connection; about the speed of Carrier Pigeon. Open the Trailer Double Pane Windows to prevent Signal Loss through Glass. Hang Air Modem on Cable off the Mini Blinds. Don't touch a thing! Good Geek fun!

Here's a quick Pic of some Falls we drove to yesterday. Pix of the Water Fall proper will follow some time.

Off to the local City for Lunch and a few optional Supplies. I'm able to read the interesting Posts here. Sober On!

Cya later, Alligators...

http://i57.tinypic.com/2lwof3p.jpg

Jsbodhi 09-10-2015 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by brynn (Post 5551006)
I was wondering where Brain was. Glad to hear he's ok.

Ok, I admit it...I love gifts. I love giving gifts especially....but I like receiving them too. Dusting figurines....not so much.

Oh me too! I love giving gifts as well as getting them!!!
I'll spend hours thinking of the perfect gift for someone; Though I own a cleaning business and all anyone ever wants anymore, is for me to send cleaners over to do their house from top to bottom.
So the last couple of years thats what I usually do for people on their birthdays, xmas, anniversaries etc

PurpleKnight 09-10-2015 10:53 AM

I'm in Weekenders!! Save me a seat!! :banana:

saoutchik 09-10-2015 10:55 AM

Evening gang

Glad you're with this weekend CaseyW and Melina

I'm with you on the Penguin thing Biminiblue, i'm not over fond of ceramic knick knacks of any description. I dislike buying gifts just because i'm obligated but sometimes its a joy

Commodore 64, now you're talking Behan, I still have one somewhere, i'm waiting for enough dumb people to decide they're valuable when I will put mine on Ebay

This brings me nicely to Hipsters, there a loads of 'em in my neck of the woods but reading that lengthy article that Behan kindly linked I realise that it must be really hard work being one full time. How do they find time to actually live? I did like their movie choices but West Anderson etc not limited to hipsterdom

I was the subject of much mirth this afternoon when I went in to work. I received an email from my Swedish hotel which my boss read and promptly told everyone else its contents - (can't blame him there - I would have done exactly the same). The contents being that I had left a pair of trousers at the hotel and what do they want them to do with them. I could have answered that last bit with something rude but suggested a charity instead
:a096:

MLD51 09-10-2015 11:46 AM

I like giving gifts, but I can do without receiving them. I have enough stuff, thank you very much. I like it when my kids get creative and make me things, or offer to do things for or with me. My mom has started giving me Amazon gift certificates - that I do like. That's fun. She will also get me kitchen stuff - which is great because we both love to cook and she finds the best gadgets and other things. I can't wait for my grand daughter's first birthday - coming up in about a month. Grandma is going to go nuts!

InsaneHeart 09-10-2015 11:51 AM

I'm in for a sober weekend. Already thinking of plans to keep me busy.

Jsbodhi 09-10-2015 12:00 PM

Ugh, someone hacked into my bank account and now I can't access it util tues.
So I have $20 cash for 4 days to live and run a business on.
Why don't these losers just get a job instead of stealing from other people who work all day

happyandfree 09-10-2015 12:34 PM

Hi Melinda! Glad to see you join us this weekend.
Mecanix. ...I can relate to the weight gain. ...I am battling it too. Makes me tired. I'm increasing my excercise to see if that helps.
Siesta for a few minutes and then back to work. Good day so far. Feels productive and good.