Notices

What are/were your early sobriety eating patterns?

Old 09-09-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
now's the time

What are/were your early sobriety eating patterns?

Just curious... this is my longest stretch sober in 2 years and I've forgotten how long my eating was out of whack last time.

So far I couldn't really eat much my first week and a half (withdrawal plus a pretty messed up stomach)... then I ate gigantic meals for about 3 weeks. Then it seemed like things went back to normal, but for the last few days (I'm on day 58) I've been starving again.

Interesting thing is I seem to be alternating between fuzzy brain stretches and hungry stretches. I wish I could just have a neurologist following me around for the next year, I'm so curious about what's going on in there!

Anyone else having hunger swings, or had them when you first quit?
Old 09-09-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm day 16 and eating myself out of house and home! At least it's healthier stuff than my wine and potato chip diet! Hope it levels out.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey fantail, day 55 here, i have such an odd appetite lol,

I go from eating healthy and wanting nothing but veggies to getting severely hungry and I swear all I want is fried junk food and THEN ill go one or two days not hungry whatsover what the hec is that about?

I like the comment about the neurologist, id like to see what my brain is doing too, ur hungry, ur sad, ur content, ur happy, ur mad, ur indifferent, ur sad again, wait ur really hungry for junk food again! its a roller coaster
Old 09-09-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've always eaten extremely well myself. I guess my mom drilled it into me.

I might be a bachelor, but I eat very healthy, balanced meals with lots of veggies. Salmon steak is my favorite.

Oh, and I don't snack. I hate sweets, and don't care about things like potatoe chips. Some peanuts once in a while are decent, but that's about it.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey fantail, I'm at 52 days and I've been paying attention to my eating habits too. I tend to eat and drink for comfort, compulsively. I was going to town on coca cola and iced cream the first few weeks but my desire for that had been tapering off. I still overdo it with coffee.
Overall I eat pretty healthy but I do go through cycles of wanting to nosh on bad stuff too. I try to go easy on myself because (within reason) it's all better than drinking alcohol.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantail congrats on 58 days..
Im reaching 4 months & still all over the place with food. Exactly what Holds describes Is still happening for me.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mlp

sugar and more sugar! anything to keep me from taking a drink. The first 2-3 months were the worst. Lots of candy. Now that I'm almost at 10 months, I've leveled off. I'm eating healthier but still reward myself with ice cream or chocolate a couple days a week. As long as I'm not drinking, I feel ok with some imbibing!
Old 09-09-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree. ...sugar, sugar, and more sugar. Which is not a good idea. Your body is trying to re balance itself so you need to nourish it with healthy food. You can eat as much as you want if it's fruit and vegetables. I ended up gaining weight and had to cut out the sugar.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A flick is switched and I tend to quit everything and go extremely healthy ( I normally do eat healthily). At present, as well as alcohol, I've quit all processed sugar, coffee and have reduced my fruit intake.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hang on!

While we should all be eating kale and quinoa (jk), at least stuffing yourself with food is doing your body better than stuffing it with poison. I don't fault anyone's diet if they're eating 3 squares instead of boozing.

Besides, have you ever seen how many calories are in a binge full of alcohol? Thousands.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Well, first, I actually started eating. I didn't eat much while drinking because it would just get in the way of my buzz and eventual drunkeness.

I did eat lots of hard candy early on since my body was withdrawaling from sugar as well as alcohol. I should of bought stock in the jawbreaker manufacturers.

Honestly, I'd probably be easy on yourself for a few months and concentrate on actually eating. And, hey, indulge in sugar if it helps with the cravings.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by 2WheelsGood View Post
While we should all be eating kale and quinoa (jk), at least stuffing yourself with food is doing your body better than stuffing it with poison. I don't fault anyone's diet if they're eating 3 squares instead of boozing.

Besides, have you ever seen how many calories are in a binge full of alcohol? Thousands.
Oh my gosh, yes! I was taking in almost 1700 calories a day from vodka alone. Jeebus.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had a craving for fruit snacks, gummy worms/bears, basically anything gummy... by the mouthful.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hang on!

Jolly Ranchers hard candies. I've had about 8 today.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I never let myself get hungry--cravings went away after that first bite. Also, I had a bowl of ice cream with cookies crumbled into it every single night for the first year. For me, it was something to look forward to (and satisfied my cravings for sugar). I'm just over 2 years, and though I have ice cream often, it's no longer every day!

Congratulations on your sobriety! Keep on keeping on!
Old 09-09-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was never into sweets before but since quitting I've been eating ice cream every day and more fruit during lunch. I figure it's better than booze and eventually it'll level off.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sugar, sugar, and more sugar...and there's me thinking I was alone is this! First two weeks I craved it like crazy and I also ate lots and often to fill a void. Having a full stomach eased booze cravings. As I was an evening drinker I ate dinner earlier, say 5 o'clock, then grazed on sweets in the evening. On week 3 and I've found my appetite has completely gone.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Scoffing my head off!!! But I am trying to eat healthy food, lots of fish, salad, yougurt & oats.... Only really fall down with chocolate!!!!
Old 09-10-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Me too with the sugar. I never really ate a lot of sweets, was always a very healthy eater, even while drinking. I never snack but eat a balanced lunch and dinner. However, since quitting I am wanting more sweets. I satisfy it with pineapple juice and nectarines. The only thing I can't seem to control is that I wake up in the middle of the night, every night and practically sleepwalk to the kitchen for something sweet. I have bars of chocolate in the cupboard that I use for baking and I will break of one square of those and let it melt in my mouth, or this week I have been polishing off a cake I made for a dinner last weekend. I don't touch it during the day but in the middle of the night I sleepwalk into the kitchen and cut off a tiny bite or two and eat it. I then immediately return to bed and fall right back asleep.
I need to get rid of the sweets in the house, I don't like this habit. I am a big cook and baker so I don't' want to throw out all my supplies though. Hmmm….
Old 09-10-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Don't sweat it too much Mera, it will level out on it's own. I decided not to be too strict on myself with this sugar thing for a while since it helps me not crave alcohol.