Notices

What are/were your early sobriety eating patterns?

Old 09-10-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Chocolate covered peanuts & raisins took them everywhere with me . Hostest little apples pies w/ that spray whipping cream . Peppermint chip ice cream . Cream soda ... Anything sweet Oh Boy - did I put some weight on Holy smoked !! Oh I can't forget those Little Debby cakes were my friends
Whewww finally roughly nine months ago I put myself on a low carb diet . Feel sooo much better !!!!
Old 09-10-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
I've always eaten extremely well myself. I guess my mom drilled it into me.

I might be a bachelor, but I eat very healthy, balanced meals with lots of veggies. Salmon steak is my favorite.

Oh, and I don't snack. I hate sweets, and don't care about things like potatoe chips. Some peanuts once in a while are decent, but that's about it.
This is exactly like my ex boyfriend, I lived with him for 2 years; he was a personal trainer.
I learned so much from living with him, but it was rough haha
Old 09-10-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was a chubby kid and teased relentlessly (pictures of me, and there are only a few, I don't look chubby...but the US has gotten pretty fat now so its relative I guess) mostly by my family. Put on diets at 7 on etc. So I'm paranoid about being fat. When drinking I either eat garbage or I don't eat. Usually, even after a short binge, I've gained bloat so I work to get that off through exercise and lots of water. But mostly I eat really healthy. Usually anxiety in the first week keeps me from eating too much, but then its big, healthy meals after that. I do eat some sweets but try to limit. I don't let myself get too hungry because the cravings will start if I have gone too long without food.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I've been mostly lower carb and off sugar, grains and processed food for the past five years, with some occasional exceptions like ice cream, potato chips and dark chocolate. It didn't make sense to me to be so concerned with eating healthy and then pouring all that booze into my body.

When I stopped drinking, I allowed myself lots of ice cream almost every evening and more potato chips than usual for a little over 2 months. It was enough and got me though any feelings of deprivation or cravings I was having in the beginning, but then I was starting to feel kind of crappy from all that and my weight started creeping back up. I stopped it early this week and I've already lost 5 pounds of bloat. Now I feel like I can go back to just having it every once in a while. If I want a treat, savouring a couple of pieces of quality dark chocolate satisfies me. I tend to crave salty foods more than sweets anyway.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Re-Member

My diet for the first 100 days was awful, but I had the ready excuse that whatever junk I was eating was still better than pouring booze down my throat by the liter. I'm working on improving my diet now. It's a process.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
now's the time

Thanks everyone. Sounds a lot like me. It's such a suddenly big part of my life, eating or not, hungry or not!

I guess one of the weird things is that with alcohol, I was kind of an expert on my physical reactions, because I've been so sick for so long. I knew exactly what certain physical things meant, and I had my systems. And it was all very, very messed up what becomes normal. I have had more days than I can count where I thought something along the lines of "oh good, I only threw up once this morning and the bile was pretty pale, I'll be fine on this hike".

So now my body's doing all kind of weird and different things, and it's so much better. But it's out of my ken so it's fascinating me. I'm googling everything. And asking here too of course. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!
Old 09-11-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Chocolate, anything with chocolate the first two weeks. I actually ate enough for a family of 4 the first couple of weeks! I figured I was already denying myself the wine and that was all I could mentally handle at the moment and didn't want to make it any more difficult.

It seemed to just level out on its own after that. I enjoy eating healthy with an occasional "bad" food day here or there. So, I'm eating pretty good now usually, but had a steak and cheese with a side of fries the other night......but I declined the Klondike Bar after, so I got that going for me!

And I have to say, food tastes much better now....I actually enjoy it instead just shoving it in to soak up some alcohol, and I remember eating it! WINNING!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am on day 6 and wanting to eat everything in sight. At the moment I am enjoying it until my waistband tells me otherwise
Old 09-23-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I was anorexic when I was drinking my normal. When I quit alcohol, i started eating very small amounts of food. Then my health came back to normal, and yeah, i was starving. And ate too much. I deprived my body drinking. My body and mind was a mess from all of it. Ive noticed U have to have a length of sobriety and then normal eating will come with that. The alcohol messed me up so bad. One time I kept track drinking heavily, Id eat only one time in 7 days. Another time I was on a binge, I know nobody will believe this is possible...but I didnt eat for an entire month. Id eat one cracker in a weeks time and just pound beer for food along with whiskey. Today I am always hungry! Alcohol really messes with my stomach and appetite. I also now suffer today, from hurting my stomach with the long binges and no food.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

The first few days I didn't have much of an appetite. However, once it came back, it came back full force. I was hungry all the time and craved sweets. I actually ordered a case of bags of Chewy Spree from Amazon to keep around to satisfy the cravings. I also ate a lot of spicy food. I attribute that to being able to eat it again once my stomach stopped being destroyed from the drinking.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

wasn't really much of an eater whilst drinking, very unbalanced and random with the occasional good food day. So.... sobriety has been a surprise, lots of sugary drinks for about two months, must've been replacing the liquid calories. But this has really calmed down and now I'm on maybe one a day. I've started to enjoy food the last couple of months, really tasting everything and feeling "proper" hunger. Good feeling. Your body and appetite will settle, I wouldn't worry about the early diet / food urges, maybe just indulge them knowing they're very likely to be temporary.
No booze is the best diet choice xx
Old 09-23-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Whilst drinking I would drink away my hunger for dinner then end up not eating or binge eating very late at night.. The pounds pulled on think i put 50lbs in 2 years!!

Now sober Iam very aware that hunger is a massive trigger for me and Iam craving lots of hearty foods like lasagne etc. but my thinking is Iam saving loads of calories a week from not drinking!!!