Notices

What do I do?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do I do?

I'm a 42 year old man who has serious alcohol problem. I feel like I'm about to lose everything due to how I'm living my life. I just want to stop, but I can't seem to break out of the cycle I'm in. I feel like I'm running out of time and I need to stop now or something really bad is going to happen to me either health-wise, financially or emotionally. For some reason, I can't make it through one day without falling for alcohol. I don't know what to do.

So here I am.

Hello?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phoenix0632 View Post
I'm a 42 year old man who has serious alcohol problem. I feel like I'm about to lose everything due to how I'm living my life. I just want to stop, but I can't seem to break out of the cycle I'm in. I feel like I'm running out of time and I need to stop now or something really bad is going to happen to me either health-wise, financially or emotionally. For some reason, I can't make it through one day without falling for alcohol. I don't know what to do.

So here I am.

Hello?
Hi Phoenix and welcome
The good news is you DO have choices. You don't have to pick up that first drink. If you are fearful of detox pls see your dr. Doc can prescribe medication to help with safe detox or recommend a detox facility (not as bad as it sounds). Frankly many alcoholics do loose it all before they are low enough to quit. If you feel like you're on that precipice, than you probably are. I am a late stage, and I'm told hopeless (what do they know?) alcoholic. Been sober since June 12th (I think). If I can do it, you can too. Stick around. Tons of support here. We'll rub off on you!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Phoenix, welcome! The first step is admitting that you have a problem, so you are one step closer... Do you have the ability to take time off of work to check in to an inpatient program? Most people can't quit with sheer willpower, and it can be dangerous to detox alone. You can also talk to your doctor. This forum is an excellent place for support as well. Also, have you considered AA?
Old 09-09-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Phoenix, welcome to SR. You've found a great community that can help change your life if you are willing to put in the work.

Your story sounds very similar to mine and plenty of other's here. I was 39 when I really knew I had to make a change or I would die from drinking.

The good thing is you are strong enough to make this happen. I've been sober for 428 days now after 20+ years of heavy, daily drinking. My liver has returned to normal; was diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease in 2007, I'm saving money by not drinking it away, and most importantly I've got my life back in control; as much as you can be in control of life!

You can do this. It helped me to read as many posts here on SR as I could and stay as active as I could early on; even through today.

Come up with a plan for when you are feeling weak and avoid drinking at all cost.

Picture your life better and be determined to make it happen. The fight isn't easy, but I promise you will be so grateful for taking a stand.

You can do this. Lean on this community when you are feeling weak or just need to vent.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi again... I just read a post about AVRT (Addictive Voice Recognition Technique) and decided to look it up, because I hadn't heard of it before. I am struggling to get to day 1 also, but I'm determined to get there. Reading the Rational Recovery website and doing the free "Crash Course" on AVRT gave me the strength to commit to this. Maybe you might want to check it out and see if it's something you'd be interested in?
https://rational.org/index.php?id=1
Old 09-09-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Welcome to SR

As others have said, the first step is recognising the problem, and then detox (best to see a Doc about this as they can get you through it safely and with as little discomfort as possible).

After that there are now a myriad of recovery networks, there is something to fit everyone out there whether it be Rational Recovery, SMART, AVRT, AA etc etc.

This place is also a fantastic resource for support. I read / post here daily, it has become key to my recovery.

B
Old 09-09-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Pheonix, the alcohol will make the feeling of impending doom worse, might have even created it. The good people here will help you. First thing's first, get detoxed. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. I wish you the best.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome to SR, Phoenix.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Phoenix
Old 09-09-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you, Phoenix. You're never alone.

It's good you've realized you can't continue this way. I wish I had at 42. You can turn this whole thing around and get free.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

This has excellent links in it Phoenix

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Phoenix!!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Phoenix. There are a bunch of us in the exact situation that you are in here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2015-a-23.html

Come join us!
Old 09-11-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Phoenix

How are things today?

D
Old 09-11-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, Phoenix! The crap hit the fan at age 43 for me. When 42, I was having thoughts just like those. I waited for the fan, LOL!

it's all good now. Sobriety is actually fun and rewarding. It is a regret, however that i didnt heed those inklings I had... Would've saved me some grief. Spouse too.

Please stick around!