Notices

Tapering v Cold Turkey

Old 09-09-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I was in a spot where I really needed to clean up, but I didn't want to go to a doc for benzos and I felt cold turkey would be dangerous due to the volume I was consuming. I felt trapped.

I had many cold turkey quits, and my last one, several years ago, I had 200/115 BP when I checked into the hospital due to chest pains on day 2. This time I was drinking far, far more, so a taper seemed like my only chance without benzos. I had read on forums of people tapering too quickly and having seizures, so I knew I needed to go slow.

Due to weight gain, I was measuring all the vodka I was drinking for a couple of years (you know, to cut food calories). At some point I just stopped counting the calories but kept measuring how many 20ml shots I was taking in. It didn't make me drink less, but when I woke up in the morning I could see my log and recall how much I consumed.

After several botched taper attempts over the last several months, I figured out a way that I thought I'd be successful at it. Unfortunately, due to my desire to want to clean up, my first day taper was a little too drastic, and I got a migraine. In the morning I got a little shaky, so I took a 20ml shot (90% of my drinking was only at night).

From that day forward, I reduced from that amount each night by 20ml. After about 2 weeks, I consumed my last 20ml. The only withdrawal I had was headaches. Pretty constant for two weeks and migraines while drinking (even the day I had my last 20ml I got a bad migraine). Other than that, I had no withdrawals of any kind (at least that I can tell).

Now, 30 days of zero alcohol, I've had no cravings or anything. It's weird; I feel like I've never been a drinker (but my memory is obviously pretty strong and wallet fatter). The other times I've quit cold turkey I've always had strong cravings; I feel removed from it. I have no idea if this time around it's due to tapering or if I'm just more ready to leave it alone.

That all said, if you're 3 days in, taking up drinking in order to start a taper just sounds like an excuse to drink. However, I do believe you are not 100% out of the withdrawal woods yet, so get evaluated by a doctor and advice. Everyone is different and there are many contributing factors.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3!!! You are probably over the worst but sometimes it can come back & bite you on the bum after a few days.. That's what happened to me but we are all different... just make sure you get plenty of fluids in you, Smart Water is pretty good as it contains electrolytes, will help with dehydration...
Old 09-10-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Personally I could never control my drinking enough after that first drink to do a taper. Once I drank that first one, I could always find an excuse to drink one or ten more.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks All! Well no taper. And today I sat through a rough ol' job interview. Sweated through my shirt (buttoned jacket up on advance) through withdrawal and nerves I expect....and was offered the job on the spot!

On the train home there was a woman drinking cans of gin and tonic from her bag.... she got through 4 in quick succession. I wasnt jealous... I felt a little queasy (after knocking back probably five bottles a week for a looooong time) ... no way can I say I'm cured (as if! imagine!) but I am pleased. Normally this would have been a nailed on excuse to booze it up and celebrate and I KNOW tonight I won't drink. Though I know it won't always be this easy

Thank you all for your advice, the forum is definitely helping. I've even felt odd moments of excitement today... first in a long time
Old 09-10-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

3 days soo far is great, just keep in mind if anything starts to concern you check in with a Dr!!

Best to always be safe!!